08-22-2021, 11:57 AM
User Info
Would a new or an old blade be better than a new blade for the first shave with a new razor?

0 3
 08-22-2021, 01:35 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
I like using a blade I use regularly and know; not a blade I am trying for the first time.  Doing it this way I would think any new or newish blade should allow you to make a good evaluation of the razor.

What razor did you get?

0 128
 08-22-2021, 04:13 PM
  • Bax
User Info
I use the Wilkinson Sword (India) as my "test blade" for every razor. 
It seems like a "middle of the road" razor and a known quantity.
For me, anyway.
  :-)
- Bax

0 328
 08-22-2021, 05:09 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Do you mean a blade on its first use, or second use? Vintage blade or modern blade?

19 5,463
 08-23-2021, 04:47 AM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
(08-22-2021, 11:57 AM)JoeSuits4 Wrote: Would a new or an old blade be better than a new blade for the first shave with a new razor?

I use a 'new out of the wrapper' blade.  But a blade I am familiar with, and usually not Feather - something a bit more 'middle of the road' - Personna, Astra, Gillette Silver Blue. 
I don't often 'move' a blade used in one razor to another (though I know folks do that).  Blades are inexpensive, and PTFE coatings wear off.  

I will also generally try at least 2 shaves with that combo before moving onto a different brand of blade - but all this is subjective.

18 220
 08-23-2021, 08:21 AM
User Info
(08-23-2021, 04:47 AM)I purchased the Timeless Bronze .38.  at present the only blade I have are the Astra. Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 11:57 AM)JoeSuits4 Wrote: Would a new or an old blade be better than a new blade for the first shave with a new razor?

I use a 'new out of the wrapper' blade.  But a blade I am familiar with, and usually not Feather - something a bit more 'middle of the road' - Personna, Astra, Gillette Silver Blue. 
I don't often 'move' a blade used in one razor to another (though I know folks do that).  Blades are inexpensive, and PTFE coatings wear off.  

I will also generally try at least 2 shaves with that combo before moving onto a different brand of blade - but all this is subjective.

0 3
 08-23-2021, 09:00 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I've tried a boatload of different blades in my razors, trying to divine which one is best.  They all seem pretty much the same to me.  If one is REALLY bad, I can tell, but unless it's a Disaster Blade, I really have no idea.  Either I'm too ignorant to tell the difference or my face isn't sensitive enough to distinguish between them.  Mostly I try different blades so I can join in the discussion with you Cool Kids and hope you'll let me sit with you at lunchtime in the cafeteria.
   :-)
- Bax

0 328
 08-26-2021, 07:22 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I am a certified member of the one and done club. I rarely if ever reuse a blade. Blades are what I buy when I lust for a razor or brush that is not "in the budget". I got a lot of blades.

0 553
 08-26-2021, 08:01 AM
User Info
(08-26-2021, 07:22 AM)RyznRio Wrote: I am a certified member of the one and done club. I rarely if ever reuse a blade. Blades are what I buy when I lust for a razor or brush that is not "in the budget". I got a lot of blades.

Same here.  I also primarily use Astra blades, so that's what goes into any new razor I try.

60 11,229