08-23-2021, 12:06 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Preshave: Pears Bar Soap (not pictures but left on face as preshave)

Lather Bowl: Timeless Razor Plastic Bowl (water heated 1-1/2 minutes in microware)
Shave Brush: Simpsons Chubby 3 Super Badger
Shave Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
DE Razor: Rockwell 6s (plate 1/3)
Blade: Rapira Premium Lux
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Comments: Due to 1st use this blade I made sure everything else used were products I know and use regularly for a fair evaluation of blade.  Results were a 3-pass shave with very little cleanup resulting in a BBS without even trying.  There is a rumor this blade is made in the same factory as the Voskhod in Russia and there are several similarities.  Blade is double wrapped with English printing on one side and Russian on the other, very sharp, and smooth.  Only difference I noticed between the 2 blades is the Rapira seemed to be a bit noisier as it mowed down my 2-day beard.  Looking forward to continuing use of the blade and see how it does later in the week as I normally get 6-7 shaves with a Voskhod.

[Image: NETpJEk.jpg]

0 133
 08-23-2021, 01:20 PM
User Info
(08-23-2021, 12:06 PM)Chappy Wrote: Preshave: Pears Bar Soap (not pictures but left on face as preshave)

Lather Bowl: Timeless Razor Plastic Bowl (water heated 1-1/2 minutes in microware)
Shave Brush: Simpsons Chubby 3 Super Badger
Shave Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
DE Razor: Rockwell 6s (plate 1/3)
Blade: Rapira Premium Lux
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Comments: Due to 1st use this blade I made sure everything else used were products I know and use regularly for a fair evaluation of blade.  Results were a 3-pass shave with very little cleanup resulting in a BBS without even trying.  There is a rumor this blade is made in the same factory as the Voskhod in Russia and there are several similarities.  Blade is double wrapped with English printing on one side and Russian on the other, very sharp, and smooth.  Only difference I noticed between the 2 blades is the Rapira seemed to be a bit noisier as it mowed down my 2-day beard.  Looking forward to continuing use of the blade and see how it does later in the week as I normally get 6-7 shaves with a Voskhod.

[Image: NETpJEk.jpg]

I have mentioned the Rapira Platinum is the closest, if not the same shave I get from a feather. BBS with ease. I liked the Vokshod but the one I had tried felt very rough on my face. I don't mind aggressive, but this was just uncomfortable. I do plan on trying them again. It was the first shave, but the other blades were not as rough on the first shave. I also have the Rockwell 6C which is a fantastic razor for the price. I know the Stainless is more, but I'm sure still top notch. But with better Metal.

5 733
 08-23-2021, 04:33 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
I actually started with the Rockwell 6c but liked the razor so well I went ahead and bought the 6s and haven't regretted it yet.  You may have noticed I only use the 1/3 plate for a very mild shave.  Have you tried this by chance with the Voskhod?  Voskhod is what I normally use but may have to add the Rapira now.

0 133
 08-23-2021, 05:08 PM
User Info
(08-23-2021, 04:33 PM)Chappy Wrote: I actually started with the Rockwell 6c but liked the razor so well I went ahead and bought the 6s and haven't regretted it yet.  You may have noticed I only use the 1/3 plate for a very mild shave.  Have you tried this by chance with the Voskhod?  Voskhod is what I normally use but may have to add the Rapira now.

I have not, I just got a hold of some Vokshods. I generally leave my Rockwell set at #3. The first time I used the Rapira I was taken back a little. It reminded me so close of the closeness I got from the Feather. It still does the same as of recently. Great blades, relatively inexpensive.

5 733
 08-25-2021, 06:06 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Changed and used Proraso preshave and Arko shaving soap today.  2nd shave with this blade was quite a bit rougher.  Still BBS but definitely not as comfortable as 1st shave.  Will go back to Pears hand soap and Stirling tomorrow to see if I can duplicate the 1st shave.

0 133
 08-26-2021, 08:00 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
My plan was to duplicate this 3rd shave with the same products I used on the 1st shave to see if the blade would be as smooth as the 1st shave again.  Then I thought I don't do duplications with any other of my blades so I can enjoy a variety of soaps and other products so decided not to completely duplicate 1st shave.  I did duplicate everything except I used a D.R. Harris Arlington sample I got.  The D.R. Harris cream was fantastic but what was important is how did the blade do on it's 3rd shave?

Using the Rockwell 6s razor I normally do the 1st pass on plate 3 and any other passes on plate 1.  Today the blade forced me to change to plate 1 after only a few passes as the blade just was not comfortable and I feared if I continued I would have some bad irritation on my neck.  I did complete 3 passes using plate 1 and got a near BBS result.  However, to me, the blade is done.  It ended up not being as smooth as I had hoped.  Will gift the other 4 blades to my nephew and friends so they can try the blade and see if they like it.  As for me, I'll go back to my other blades.

0 133
 08-27-2021, 03:19 AM
User Info
And finally my world is right again!  Been watching your post because I’ve never gotten on with Platinum Lux blades.  I hear a lot how they compare to feather and are sharp plus smooth but my experience with them are a tugging nightmare.  I don’t find them particularly sharp, comfortable, nor long lived.

6 582