08-25-2021, 11:10 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I picked up a 1952 "black tip" Super Speed a month ago.  Mine's got a plastic black tip (rather than aluminum), as most do.  This was the 2nd time I've used it.  I noticed that it shaves like any other Super Speed, but the black tip is very different... it's slippery when wet!  Often when I'm shaving, I'll give the handle knob a little twist to be sure it hadn't loosened up as I shaved.  (I had a knob loosen up once and got a shave like Edward Scissorhands on dope; don't want THAT to happen again!)  The molded knurling on the plastic handle was pretty slick compared to every other Gillette I've ever touched.  It still gave a great shave, though.
[Image: TUexITX.jpg]
Cheers!!
  :-)
- Bax

0 328
 08-25-2021, 11:37 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
I've read you can wet your fingers with alum to reduce some of the slipperiness.

0 128
 08-25-2021, 11:51 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I've never had any experience using KAl(SO4)2·12H2O, or even AB(SO4)2·12H2O.  But I understand from a quick online search, that alum is pretty magical stuff and can be used for purification of drinking water as a chemical flocculant, in styptic pencil to stop bleeding from minor cuts, the adjuvant in vaccines ( a chemical that enhances the immune response), deodorant "rock," pickling agent to help keep pickles crisp, flame retardant, the acidic component of some types of baking powder, an ingredient in some homemade and commercial modeling clay, an ingredient in some depilatory (hair removal) waxes, skin whitener, and an ingredient in some brands of toothpaste.  Who knew this magical alum could be so useful!?!?!?
I'll have to get some of this alum stuff.
Thanks for the tip, Chappy!
- Bax

0 328
 08-25-2021, 01:32 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
I use alum after every shave as it is also an astringent, minor nick sealer, and helps close your pores.

0 128
 08-25-2021, 05:44 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
The Black Tip is a good razor but a little bit of an oddball due (I've read) to materials shortages created by the Korean War,  I have two of them, both W-3, one has an aluminum handle and one has the handle made with steel.  Not sure if the black tip material changed at any point, Mr. Razor doesn't mention a difference though.  

I use alum everyday, on my fingers before even picking up the brush, on my face post shave, and in me pits as antiperspirant.  I have a small button in my Dopp also.

82 827
 08-25-2021, 05:56 PM
  • Bax
User Info
I just ordered a Gentleman Jon Alum block. 8 bucks. Something new for my experiments! Yay!
- Bax

0 328
 08-25-2021, 06:20 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-25-2021, 11:37 AM)Chappy Wrote: I've read you can wet your fingers with alum to reduce some of the slipperiness.

(08-25-2021, 05:44 PM)garyg Wrote:  I use alum everyday, on my fingers before even picking up the brush, on my face post shave, and in me pits as antiperspirant.  I have a small button in my Dopp also.

+1 to both of the above. After rinsing my face thoroughly, before I load my brush and again before picking up the razor, I rub my alum block between my hands and then pat them dry. It’s been a while since I’ve used alum as an antiperspirant. Perhaps I’ll give it another trial.

19 5,467
 08-26-2021, 04:47 AM
  • Bax
User Info
My sweetie doesn't care much for scented aftershaves, so if there's smooching in the offing, I use Thayer's unscented witch hazel.  If I won't be in my bride's "personal zone" for a few hours, I enjoy Fine or Cella aftershaves.  Perhaps this "alum thang" could be a substitute.  If it's an astringent-ey kinda stuff, maybe it could be rubbed all over my goofy wet face after I shave and I could skip the aftershave! 

Perhaps that'd be an unscented aftershave alternative to Thayer's?  I'll find out when my Gentleman Jon's alum block arrives and I experiment with it.
- Bax

0 328
 08-26-2021, 07:02 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Most people use the Alum block all over their shaved faces using cold water, leave it on for about a minute, and then rinse it off with cold water.  I used to use Witch Hazel but the brand I had left my face a little oily so now I use Nivea sensitive balm as it seems to soak in.

0 128
 08-26-2021, 07:33 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(08-26-2021, 07:02 AM)Chappy Wrote: Most people use the Alum block all over their shaved faces using cold water, leave it on for about a minute, and then rinse it off with cold water.  I used to use Witch Hazel but the brand I had left my face a little oily so now I use Nivea sensitive balm as it seems to soak in.

That's the conventional wisdom & what I usually do is wash it off in the post shave shower.  But I've noticed no ill effects leaving it unrinsed, as when I use it as deodorant.  Others might be more sensitive

82 827
 08-26-2021, 09:33 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I'll go ahead and try it like Chappy said, then rinse it off.  Mostly because I'm so sensitive, like a little wildflower in the glade (which nobody said - ever).
- Bax

0 328