10-06-2012, 12:00 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Several weeks ago I had an ah moment, the moment came using my
Fat Boy. Out of the dozen or more razors in my Nook, the Fat Boy remain elusive, not easily tamed. It become the one razor I was beginning to dislike.

That all changed several weeks ago, I dedicated to use it for one week. We were either going to become friends or it be banished.
Then it happened as the week went along the shaves were improving becoming stellar. By the end of the week we had become friends and respected each other.

The Fat Boy, delivered outstanding shaves. I learned that the least amount pressure and angle positioning were keys to success.
Also the proper blade choice, I had used a Wilkinson for the entire week.

Now the Fat Boy has become the standard bearer that I judge my shaves by. The only razor that is comparable is my Super Adjustable. Now I like a more aggressive razor to shave with.
Mmmmm maybe a modern razor is in future.

1 3,507
 10-06-2012, 12:04 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
YMMV of course, this is the only vintage razor that I don't like. Never understood the hype around it. It's fat and it's uncomfortable Biggrin

88 4,233
 10-06-2012, 12:35 PM
User Info
(10-06-2012, 12:00 PM)Howler Wrote: Several weeks ago I had an ah moment, the moment came using my
Fat Boy. Out of the dozen or more razors in my Nook, the Fat Boy remain elusive, not easily tamed. It become the one razor I was beginning to dislike.

That all changed several weeks ago, I dedicated to use it for one week. We were either going to become friends or it be banished.
Then it happened as the week went along the shaves were improving becoming stellar. By the end of the week we had become friends and respected each other.

The Fat Boy, delivered outstanding shaves. I learned that the least amount pressure and angle positioning were keys to success.
Also the proper blade choice, I had used a Wilkinson for the entire week.

Now the Fat Boy has become the standard bearer that I judge my shaves by. The only razor that is comparable is my Super Adjustable. Now I like a more aggressive razor to shave with.
Mmmmm maybe a modern razor is in future.

That's funny - I did the same thing with my black handled '69 adjustable and the adjustable lost. Banished to a buyer in Florida.
Maybe I should have given it more time?

5 135
 10-06-2012, 01:29 PM
User Info
Good for you Brad!

Tastes change over time. My Fatboy is in storage at the moment, but someday I may decide I like the Fatboy over the Slim.

32 6,309
 10-06-2012, 01:47 PM
User Info
The problem with having too many razors and "rotations" is that it's often difficult to overlook the subtleties that let a particular razor reach it's full potential.

I have no problem with setting everything else aside and shaving with the same razor for weeks or months....

7 414
 10-06-2012, 03:03 PM
User Info
Brad, well done! i hope you keep enjoying it. i can not seem to get on with them, Toggles nor the Executives for some reason. However, i am not concerned as there are so many razors to try. Wink

75 20,883