08-28-2021, 06:04 PM
User Info
Was this shaving article published only for the first time in december of 2012?

https://www.webmd.com/men/features/mens-shaving-tips

Im just trying to verify the date it says...

0 6
 08-28-2021, 07:11 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Have you found an earlier reference/citation?

19 5,463
 08-28-2021, 09:46 PM
User Info
Several of the tips are also given in Shaving made Easy, first printed in 1905...

3 7,647
 08-29-2021, 03:44 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
Next, lather up with shaving cream or gel. (Benabio says it doesn’t matter which, but choose one labeled "for sensitive skin" if you need it.) Then let it sit for 2 to 3 minutes. You can comb your hair or brush your teeth to pass the time.

"That’s an important step," Benabio says. "That really softens the hair and makes a one-pass shave possible."
Dermatologist Adam Penstein, MD, agrees.
"The longer you let it sit, the better, although spending the time is not always practical," says Penstein, chief of dermatology at North Shore-LIJ Health System in Lake Success, N.Y.

Interesting article.
The step noted above certainly makes sense, but I wonder how many of us do that.  I know barbers use a hot towel after lathering to let it soften the beard for a few minutes.  But, I have to confess, I’ve never done it.  I think I’d get bored standing there for 2 or 3 minutes.

1 715
 08-29-2021, 03:59 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
(08-28-2021, 09:46 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Several of the tips are also given in Shaving made Easy, first printed in 1905...

XI.

THE SOAP.
Next to the razor, the most important article of the shaving outfit is the soap. In its proper use lies the real secret of easy shaving. The razor may be ever so good, but unless the beard is properly lathered with a good soap, shaving will be anything but a pleasure. Use only a regular recognized standard make of shaving soap, not, under any circumstances, a toilet soap. The latter is not intended for shaving, and is likely to produce irritations of the skin and leave the face rough and sore.

A wrong idea prevails regarding the[Pg 51] use of the soap. The popular impression is that the soap is used for the purpose of softening the beard, in which condition it is supposed to be most easily cut. This is a mistake. The soap is used, not to soften the beard, but to produce exactly the opposite effect—namely, to make the hair stiff and brittle, so that they will present a firm and resisting surface to the razor. A hair, as is well known, is a tube composed of a hard fibrous substance, growing from a bulb or root, which secretes an oily matter. This oil works its way up through the hair, and by permeating all parts, renders the hair soft and pliable. Now in this natural oily condition, it is very difficult to cut the hair with a razor, and it becomes even more difficult if the beard be made still softer by the application of hot water. Many do this, and it is no wonder they find shaving difficult. When this is done, the hairs become soft and limp, and the razor will either slip over them entirely, or else cut partly[Pg 52] into them, bend them back and slice them lengthwise, all the while pulling and straining them at the roots, and making the process of shaving most painful. Now soap has the opposite effect. It contains either alkali, potash or soda, which when applied to the beard in the form of lather, unites with the oil of the hair, neutralizing it and removing it, and renders the hairs hard stiff and brittle—in which condition they may be easily and readily cut. For the sake of cleanliness, the face should, of course, be washed previous to shaving in order to remove any dirt or grit from the beard, which might dull the razor; but before applying the lather, the face should be well dried with a towel.

This is a most interesting book.  I really enjoyed reading it, and will read it a second time.

BUT, hmmm.  A little controversy here.  Maybe we shouldn’t soften the beard before shaving…

1 715
 08-29-2021, 04:05 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
Here's another interesting item from the book—

XV.

CARE OF THE FACE AFTER SHAVING.

Most men who shave themselves seem to think that when they have removed the beard, they have nothing further to do. This is a great mistake. They undervalue the importance of a proper treatment of the face. A quick and easy way of caring for the face after shaving, is to remove the lather by a thorough washing, then to apply either witch hazel, bay rum or some other good face lotion, and to follow this with a small quantity of talcum powder, evenly applied. This is probably about all that the average man will usually find time to do.
[Pg 75]
In order, however, to keep the skin in a healthful condition, a little more elaborate treatment should occasionally be given. We recommend the following: Wash the face thoroughly to free it from the lather, and then apply a steaming hot towel, as hot as can be borne. The heat and moisture draw the blood to the face, open the pores, and set up a healthful action of the skin. Next apply witch hazel, and finally give the face a thorough massage. There is no other treatment so beneficial to the skin. With many persons the flow of blood to the face and scalp is very sluggish, because of enfeebled or slow heart action; and in consequence, the many small arteries and capillaries become clogged. Massage stimulates the circulation, and brings the blood from the inner centers to the surface, filling the many minute capillaries just underneath the skin, thus producing a tonic effect, which gives the skin renewed vigor and health.

I've never done that.  Maybe it's a good idea.  Anyone apply talcum powder after shaving?

And, I always use ice cold water at the end of my shave.  I love a hot towel—but only before my shave.

1 715
 08-29-2021, 08:59 AM
User Info
(08-28-2021, 07:11 PM)chazt Wrote: Have you found an earlier reference/citation?

Well where it basically says to take a long shower and while in the shower apply shave gel and let it sit 3 minutes then begin shaving.  No.

0 6
 08-29-2021, 09:00 AM
User Info
(08-28-2021, 09:46 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Several of the tips are also given in Shaving made Easy, first printed in 1905...

Can you show me where in this 1905 publication it specifically says that?

0 6
 08-29-2021, 09:01 AM
User Info
(08-28-2021, 07:11 PM)chazt Wrote: Have you found an earlier reference/citation?

Not really...

0 6
 08-29-2021, 09:14 AM
User Info

This is why i ask WegianWarrior.  I have gone to gillette, schick, bicworld.com, supermaxworld.com, edwinjagger, merkur, muehle, edge shave gel, nivea, many different shaving forums, ect...  and have also gone to archive.org and have not been able to find like for the year 1995/96 a single webpage/website which says the following specific shaving tip, "take a really long shower and while in the shower apply shave gel and let it sit 3 minutes then begin shaving."  does this now make sense?  How could someone stumble upon such specific shaving tip online from 1995 or later on?  The only exception is if someone told you instead of finding such tip online.....

0 6
 08-29-2021, 06:43 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-28-2021, 06:04 PM)ericgonzalez Wrote: Was this shaving article published only for the first time in december of 2012?

https://www.webmd.com/men/features/mens-shaving-tips

Im just trying to verify the date it says...

(08-29-2021, 08:59 AM)ericgonzalez Wrote:

Well where it basically says to take a long shower and while in the shower apply shave gel and let it sit 3 minutes then begin shaving.  No.

(08-29-2021, 09:00 AM)ericgonzalez Wrote:

Can you show me where in this 1905 publication it specifically says that?

(08-29-2021, 09:14 AM)ericgonzalez Wrote: This is why i ask WegianWarrior.  I have gone to gillette, schick, bicworld.com, supermaxworld.com, edwinjagger, merkur, muehle, edge shave gel, nivea, many different shaving forums, ect...  and have also gone to archive.org and have not been able to find like for the year 1995/96 a single webpage/website which says the following specific shaving tip, "take a really long shower and while in the shower apply shave gel and let it sit 3 minutes then begin shaving."  does this now make sense?  How could someone stumble upon such specific shaving tip online from 1995 or later on?  The only exception is if someone told you instead of finding such tip online.....

There is no sense to any of this. Thread closed.

19 5,463