08-29-2021, 02:32 PM
User Info
Great. I'm Emily, a freelance journalist from NYC. Nice to meet you. 

Sales data indicates that since Covid, a lot more men are wet shaving - many of them for the first time. My story is looking at all the reasons why -- and I'd like to hear your story. If interested, send me an email and we'll go from there

Thank you!

Link removed at moderator’s discretion. 

0 6
 08-29-2021, 05:08 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Emily, welcome to TSN.

I think your question is interesting to the community in general. I encourage the discussion here in this thread, rather than asking our members to contact you via back channel means. Thank you for your cooperation Smile

19 5,474
 08-30-2021, 09:57 AM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
I started DE shaving a year prior.  Bummed I hadn't started sooner.

0 559
 08-30-2021, 10:34 AM
  • Bax
User Info
Pre-pandemic I used an electric razor.  With pandemic telework, I wasn't shaving regularly.  One day I had to quickly run in to work on short notice, so I needed to shave.  My electric razor's battery was dead and there was no time to charge it up.  I had an "antique" razor on the shelf that I'd bought in a box of junk for  $1.  It was a 1940s Gillette Super Speed.  It was quaint.  There was a package of old blades with it.  I opened the fragile little box of blades and pulled them all out, selected the one that looked least nasty, and put it in the razor.  I poured some alcohol over the razor and blade, and called it "sterile."  I used a can of foam that'd been under the sink for many (many) years.  Surprisingly, the rusty can of foam worked, sort of.  It was more of a watery puss than foamy shaving cream, but I didn't have time to worry about it.  It wasn't the best shave in the world, but at least I didn't cut myself (no tetanus shots required).  I headed off to work, pretty much on time.  Having to wear masks in meetings helped, so nobody really got to see me up close (social distancing and all).  I got through the day without anyone commenting about whiskers, so I guess I pulled it off.  The next day, I decided to get myself outfitted properly to shave with that old 1940s razor, so I ordered some new blades online and some wet shaving supplies (a brush, soap, and aftershave).  I never did bother to charge up my old electric razor again; it's been pushed to the back of the toothbrush drawer and has been pretty much forgotten.  Now shaving is fun, rather than a chore.  The time I USED to spend commuting is now spent pampering myself with the luxury of old time shaving and a cup of joe while I surf the morning news.  My lone clunky old razor has turned into an entire shelf of razors and I've stocked a variety of soaps, brushes, creams, aftershaves, and other accoutrements.  If others have similar experiences, perhaps this pandemic will have been the catalyst that revived the art of wet shaving!

:-)
- Bax

0 332
 08-30-2021, 05:15 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I didn’t start traditional wet shaving during the pandemic, but I did keep to my 6 days a week routine. It helped maintain my sanity.

19 5,474
 09-12-2021, 09:45 AM
User Info
(08-30-2021, 10:34 AM)Bax Wrote: Pre-pandemic I used an electric razor.  With pandemic telework, I wasn't shaving regularly.  One day I had to quickly run in to work on short notice, so I needed to shave.  My electric razor's battery was dead and there was no time to charge it up.  I had an "antique" razor on the shelf that I'd bought in a box of junk for  $1.  It was a 1940s Gillette Super Speed.  It was quaint.  There was a package of old blades with it.  I opened the fragile little box of blades and pulled them all out, selected the one that looked least nasty, and put it in the razor.  I poured some alcohol over the razor and blade, and called it "sterile."  I used a can of foam that'd been under the sink for many (many) years.  Surprisingly, the rusty can of foam worked, sort of.  It was more of a watery puss than foamy shaving cream, but I didn't have time to worry about it.  It wasn't the best shave in the world, but at least I didn't cut myself (no tetanus shots required).  I headed off to work, pretty much on time.  Having to wear masks in meetings helped, so nobody really got to see me up close (social distancing and all).  I got through the day without anyone commenting about whiskers, so I guess I pulled it off.  The next day, I decided to get myself outfitted properly to shave with that old 1940s razor, so I ordered some new blades online and some wet shaving supplies (a brush, soap, and aftershave).  I never did bother to charge up my old electric razor again; it's been pushed to the back of the toothbrush drawer and has been pretty much forgotten.  Now shaving is fun, rather than a chore.  The time I USED to spend commuting is now spent pampering myself with the luxury of old time shaving and a cup of joe while I surf the morning news.  My lone clunky old razor has turned into an entire shelf of razors and I've stocked a variety of soaps, brushes, creams, aftershaves, and other accoutrements.  If others have similar experiences, perhaps this pandemic will have been the catalyst that revived the art of wet shaving!

:-)
- Bax

I'm sending you a pm!

0 6
 09-12-2021, 10:09 AM
User Info
Which online retailers would do you think are the biggest for hardware? Software? What about vintage? 
And, the big question: Does anyone follow the value of vintage traditional razors on the market? Like an appraiser?

Many thanks, Emily

0 6
 09-12-2021, 12:02 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(09-12-2021, 10:09 AM)bkjourno Wrote: Which online retailers would do you think are the biggest for hardware? Software? What about vintage? 
And, the big question: Does anyone follow the value of vintage traditional razors on the market? Like an appraiser?

Many thanks, Emily

Interesting first question. Online retailers generally seem to specialize in one area or another. There are those who carry much the same inventory as can be found in the neighborhood pharmacy and national/regional chains. Some etailers carry lines, the bulk of which are private branded products made in varying quantities. Still others focus on either lower price points, mid-high level price points, domestic lines, imported lines, etc. I think the majority of the wet shaving etailers has their strengths and weaknesses and their own loyal following. Short of asking these companies to see their books, it may be difficult for us as consumers to assess who is the “biggest” in terms of hardware or software. Also, like brick and mortar businesses, etailers try to lure people in with low prices on one or two products, and hope that the customer will “buy up.” Client/Proprietor rapport plays a huge part in the experience as well. There are “nice guys” and “schmucks.” 

Regarding the big question, there are many buyers and sellers of vintage gear. Private sales occur on the BSTs of the various fora. Some of the etailers have a vintage component to their business. eBay is a major player in the vintage razor market, but it comes with a huge caveat emptor. It’s kind of like the shaving Wild West. There too, nice guys and schmucks. Guys who’ve followed the trends over the years can probably offer more specifics if you ask about particular razor models. I’ll say this, it’s a helluva lot less expensive to dabble in vintage razors than it is to collect vintage guitars. But you didn’t come here seeking info on guitars…

19 5,474
 09-12-2021, 12:11 PM
User Info
(08-30-2021, 09:57 AM)2Chops Wrote: I started DE shaving a year prior.  Bummed I hadn't started sooner.

Why is that, 2Chops?

0 6
 09-12-2021, 06:35 PM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
(09-12-2021, 12:11 PM)bkjourno Wrote:
(08-30-2021, 09:57 AM)2Chops Wrote: I started DE shaving a year prior.  Bummed I hadn't started sooner.

Why is that, 2Chops?

Why?  Quality of shave for one.  Prior my starting old style wet shaving, I treated shaving more as an Olympic speed event rather than a grooming practice.  I used a can of gel and a cart razor.  Did my shaves in less than a minute and off I went.  And they were never pleasant.  It was that way for decades.  But I had a vintage straight razor in good shape in my drawer that would call to me every now and then.  And I had memories of my first few shaves with dads Gillette DE razors which came to mind from time to time too.  So the curiosity came to a head and I began the research.  And then bought my first set up in 2019.  Along with this came a shift in my thinking on the whole shaving thing.  Now it's part of my unwind time.  And it brings back good memories of my dad and granddad. Plus the gear is way better than modern carts and caned cream.  IMO.  It's a neat link to the past, even when using new equipment.  Brushes, DE razors, straights, all the great soaps.  Boys and our toys.

0 559
 09-13-2021, 07:08 AM
User Info
(09-12-2021, 06:35 PM)2Chops Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 12:11 PM)bkjourno Wrote:

Why is that, 2Chops?

Why?  Quality of shave for one.  Prior my starting old style wet shaving, I treated shaving more as an Olympic speed event rather than a grooming practice.  I used a can of gel and a cart razor.  Did my shaves in less than a minute and off I went.  And they were never pleasant.  It was that way for decades.  But I had a vintage straight razor in good shape in my drawer that would call to me every now and then.  And I had memories of my first few shaves with dads Gillette DE razors which came to mind from time to time too.  So the curiosity came to a head and I began the research.  And then bought my first set up in 2019.  Along with this came a shift in my thinking on the whole shaving thing.  Now it's part of my unwind time.  And it brings back good memories of my dad and granddad. Plus the gear is way better than modern carts and caned cream.  IMO.  It's a neat link to the past, even when using new equipment.  Brushes, DE razors, straights, all the great soaps.  Boys and our toys.
Has the pandemic had an impact on your grooming practice or thoughts about it? 
Thank you!

0 6
 09-13-2021, 07:43 AM
  • Bax
User Info
"Grooming" is something I do to a horse before saddling to be sure there's no dirt under the saddle, and again after a long ride, mostly to get the mud and dirt off its coat before running it into a stall for the night.
Y'never know, though... some folks might LIKE getting hosed down out in the barn and brushed off with a spring steel curry comb.
[Image: iXg9YFN.jpg]
Personally, I think it'd be kinda owie!

Maybe "grooming" is like "manscaping" -- words that probably mean something to hipsters and kids these days.   
They just confuse me.   
The internet confuses me, too.
     ;-)
- Bax

0 332
 09-13-2021, 07:49 AM
User Info
(09-13-2021, 07:43 AM)Bax Wrote: "Grooming" is something I do to a horse before saddling to be sure there's no dirt under the saddle, and again after a long ride, mostly to get the mud and dirt off its coat before running it into a stall for the night.
Y'never know, though... some folks might LIKE getting hosed down out in the barn and brushed off with a spring steel curry comb.

Maybe "grooming" is like "manscaping" -- words that probably mean something to hipsters and kids these days.   
They just confuse me.   
     ;-)
- Bax

I thought I was replying to 2Chops, "I treated shaving more as an Olympic speed event rather than a grooming practice."
;-)

0 6
 09-13-2021, 08:34 AM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
(09-13-2021, 07:08 AM)bkjourno Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 06:35 PM)2Chops Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 12:11 PM)bkjourno Wrote: Why is that, 2Chops?

Has the pandemic had an impact on your grooming practice or thoughts about it? 
Thank you!

It hasn't had any impact on my current routine.  As for thoughts, as mentioned above, it is one of the ways for me to unwind.

0 559
 09-13-2021, 08:36 AM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
(09-13-2021, 07:43 AM)Bax Wrote: "Grooming" is something I do to a horse before saddling to be sure there's no dirt under the saddle, and again after a long ride, mostly to get the mud and dirt off its coat before running it into a stall for the night.

They just confuse me.   
     ;-)
- Bax

Exfoliating to an extreme.  Ye-OW!

0 559
 09-13-2021, 06:57 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-13-2021, 07:43 AM)Bax Wrote: Maybe "grooming" is like "manscaping" -- words that probably mean something to hipsters and kids these days.   
They just confuse me.   

Bax, if Emily is new here, you are not much her senior.  The term, "wet shaving" is a current fad, but it is, one thinks, a fad, like manscaping.  Those who have been around for awhile tend to use more specific terms.  

Referring to myself as an example, I have been, "wet" shaving for 45 years or so, because it is that long that the only way I shave includes washing my face, then lathering up using a brush and a soap product, usually a bar or tub of shaving soap, and a bowl, to whip up the lather.  But, until seven years ago, after I lathered my face, I shaved off the whiskers with a cartridge razor, rinsed frequently during my shave.  I know -- because I raised the same point eight or ten years ago in the Other Forum that starts with a B -- and the newbies to the sport -- a predominance of newbies hung out there at that time -- cried bloody murder that lathering up wet lather with a brush, then shaving off the wet lather with a cartridge razor, is not "wet" shaving.  (Sure seemed wet to me.)  Not the way that they define "wet" shaving.  And there are a minority of members of that group who argue that shaving with any safety razor is not "wet shaving":  only straight razors, honed on a strop, can be used in real "wet shaving."  Ho-o-o-keh

For clarity of communication, I suggest that we use narrower descriptors to indicate what we mean at any given time:  DE shaving or SE shaving or shavette shaving or coldwater shaving, or aerosol foam shaving, to indicate the topic.  There is no right way (though there are multiple not-very-good ways) to reduce stubble; let us celebrate diversity by referring to each of the ways by its own due. 

1 1,487
 09-13-2021, 10:52 PM
User Info
I tend to consider wet shaving to be the opposite of dry shaving, in other words shaving without the benefit of some form of lather, cream or canned goo. Dry shavers are often using electric shavers, but I have a coworker who shaves dry with a cartridge razor... I shudder just thinking about it.

I tend to use the term "traditional wetshaving" to describe shaving with brush, proper lather, and safety or straight razor (i.e.: not a cartridge or disposable).

And with that I'll return y'all to your discussion, since I picked up traditional wetshaving long before the pandemic and for a different reason Smile

3 7,650
 09-14-2021, 08:51 AM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
[Image: uTQzK4T.jpg]This right there.
"Traditional Wet Shaving".

Bingo

0 559
 09-14-2021, 07:28 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Signs011

Excellent photo, too Wink

19 5,474
 09-15-2021, 07:55 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-14-2021, 07:28 PM)chazt Wrote: Signs011

Excellent photo, too Wink

(thumb up emoji) Indeed!  

But, returning to the now-entrenched tangent, I have here a razor, designed to the Eversharp Schick Injector standard, that I do not use anymore due to the difficulty to secure injector blades for it.  If I do go to the trouble to obtain Schick-style blades, and shave with that razor, am I engaged in Traditional Wet Shaving?  How about the Wilkinson Bonded Blade handle I have:  if (unlikely) I could obtain a pack of Bonded Blades for it, would I be engaged in Traditional Wet Shaving when I use it to shave?  

Put another way, is the dividing line between “Traditional” and non-traditional wet shaving simply whether there is any plastic attached to the blade?  

1 1,487