10-06-2012, 02:57 PM
User Info
This is the fifth in a series of posts about razors that you don't really hear about on the forums.

Here are the other reviews:

1) Gladweg De Luxe
2) Henso DE razor
3) Gladweg Push-Button
4) Engels DE

This is the first razor in this series that's not actually my own razor. This was lent to me by a good friend; thanks Mike. Wink

This is a razor I've wanted to try for a long time, but they're really hard to come by, so I've never had one. Mike's razor was actually NOS when I received it. It was very generous of him to allow me to take it on its maiden shave.

The razor is a Sesam super-slant. It was made in Sweden and is mainly made form bakelite. It came in its original box and wrapping:

[Image: IMG_20121004_070832.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20121004_070847.jpg]

The head is a normal symmetrical head that is held at an extreme angle on the handle. This makes it something of an almost enforced 'Gillette Slide' razor. In that, it deviates from what we'd normally consider to be a slant, like the modern Merkur Slant:

[Image: IMG_20120928_080429.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20121004_070920.jpg]

Also, unlike a 'regular' slant, the blade is not torqued. I know there are all sorts of explanations as to why the torquing is a benefit, but I think that's all hand-waving. Still, this razor is just a normal razor head held at an angle.

The handle doesn't screw on to the head, instead you slide the whole head on and off.

[Image: IMG_20121004_071027.jpg]

The head has the usual blade posts, but the base plate is reinforced with a lot of bakelite around the post-holes. This gives rise to one of my major issues with the razor (discussed later). Otherwise, the head is pretty normal.

[Image: IMG_20121004_071054.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20121004_070939.jpg]

Anyway, I was pretty excited to try it out.

Unfortunately, the shave was disappointing! Very disappointing!

The razor is pretty mild. That's not an issue for me, I like mild razors. On the cheeks, in the WTG pass, the head performs as designed, the shave was pretty effortless and smooth. However, one of the main issues with this razor becomes immediately obvious - when you flip the head, to use the other side of the razor, the head is actually slanted the opposite way from what it was earlier.

Side one:

[Image: IMG_20121006_184649.jpg]

Side two:

[Image: IMG_20121006_184642.jpg]

This is actually a big deal during the shave. I kept having to adjust my wrist angle. Pissed me off. I guess I could shave one side of my face with one side of the razor, and the other side of my face with the other, but that's not how I use a DE razor.

Secondly, the blade is held pretty close to the teeth of the 'comb'. This, combined with the shape of the head and comb results in a very small angle in which the razor shaves at all. I kept having to adjust my shaving angle to actually have the razor cut hair at all.

Also, the extreme shaving angle was more of a distraction than a benefit. On the XTG and ATG passes, the angle at which the razor was held was pretty uncomfortable. I instinctively found myself trying to get the razor head at a more conventional angle.....which defeated the purpose, of course.

Finally (and most irritatingly), the head design doesn't have any holes to allow the lather that's being picked up to move away from the blade. This results in the head getting clogged with lather almost immediately. So, you either have to rinse after a very short stroke, or the lather build-up actually lifts the head off the face, resulting in no cutting at all. Angry

Really, this razor doesn't do anything that you couldn't do with a regular razor, held at an angle.

Oh! How I wanted to have this razor work out for me! I tried several blades, and several shaving techniques, but it just took a lot of effort to get even a 'just decent' shave.

I was able to make it work, and when it did cut, it cut well, but really, there are many, many better shavers out there in the DE world.

This is a cool razor for collectors, but as a user, it just doesn't cut it.

37 1,731
 10-06-2012, 03:04 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Very interesting looking. I guess that's why it is unknown.

88 4,233
 10-06-2012, 03:24 PM
User Info
Wow, that sure is an interesting looking razor. Thanks for the write-up, Yohann.

74 20,776
 10-06-2012, 05:22 PM
User Info
I'd like to point out that I'm really glad I got a chance to try out this razor. My sincerest thanks to Mike, for allowing me to use this one.

Would I buy one? Depends on the price, I guess. If I found one for a few dollars, then maybe.......but I wouldn't pay much for one. As I said, it's one for the collectors.

37 1,731
 10-06-2012, 09:36 PM
User Info
Fun fact; Norwegian and Swedish are mutually intelligible languages. So here is a quick and dirty translation of what the box says:
Through the machines tilted / skewed cutting position a truly smooth and efficient shave is reached. Comfertable to use, since one can keep the machine completely clean without having to take it apart. No parts that can rust.

It does look very odd, more of a gimmick than a serious product. The inability to simply flip the head over to expose an unlathered edge would be a major turnoff for me too, but I'm going to assume that the basic idea is that it's handed for the left and right side of the face...

A good writeup on an odd razor - I do enjoy these very much Biggrin

3 3,436
 10-07-2012, 07:38 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
That thing looked like a complete pain in the butt. Interesting looking for sure, but as you confirmed, not one for regular use. Some of the vintage razors were rare for a reason.

132 1,901
 10-08-2012, 12:11 AM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
I think i´ve seen on Tradera (swedish version of Ebay). I saw the plastic, the big teeth and continued to look somewhere else.
So i already knew it was ugly and cheap looking. Now i also know that it dont shave well. But atleast you have a novelety.

Might add that i to love info and reviews of strange razors. Thanks!

0 284
 10-11-2012, 10:55 AM
User Info
Hey Yohann. Happy the razor got it's maiden use by such an expert. Glad also you had the time and interest to do such a great write up. Now that it's "broken in," I'll give it a try when it's back home to see if I also find it to be a gimicky PITA. Sorry it was a let down. I sure got the better end of our swap in having a chance to use your sublimely brilliant Gladweg Push-Button razor!

0 419
 10-11-2012, 02:08 PM
User Info
Yohann, another great off beat razor article. I've enjoyed them all.

129 6,685