10-06-2012, 08:49 PM
User Info
Here's my first shaving video I made after finally getting a tripod attachment for my phone.

In the video I'm using Teiste's homemade pre-shave oil with castor oil, olive oil and lavender essential oil, an arko stick and an injector type F. My brush is a New Forest 2211.

for my prep, I took a shower before the shave and just splashed some hot water on my face before applying my pre-shave oil.

Please critique my shave and let me know what you think I could do better!

40 5,830
 10-06-2012, 09:33 PM
User Info
Good video!

But I was disappointed that you didn't use the lather catcher. Biggrin

I didn't see any blood, that's always a good thing.

Minor things... Try not to build lather by using the base of the brush bristles. The brush will probably last longer. The bristles can flex at the base, but it shouldn't be mashed against the skin. If you weren't doing that then it must have been the perspective of the lense. It's also your brush to do with as you please.

You obviously built an ultralather with that soap loading so the strokes you took w/o lather on the skin was OK. UL means you have plenty of residue on the skin to allow that. That's a good thing. W/O an ultralather you might have gotten a razor burn. Just something to guard against.

The razor was cutting the entire time; I could hear it. I like hearing it.

If you plan on using more agressive razors the full finger grip on the razor might work against the fine feel that's required, but it's no big deal otherwise. That razor is built for that grip.

We don't all shave alike, so telling you "you should do this" just isn't in my nature. I think you did fine. No blood, no razor burn, a fine shave, you did good.

One thing I did notice, you use your tongue to stretch the skin where the tongue can do that job. It works great for that doesn't it? I use the same technique. I thought I was unique. I guess not.

Carry on!

Whoops! One question... Your between shave intervals are quite long, Yes? How many days growth was that? Not writing a book, just curious.

32 6,308
 10-06-2012, 09:46 PM
User Info
(10-06-2012, 09:33 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Good video!

But I was disappointed that you didn't use the lather catcher. Biggrin

I didn't see any blood, that's always a good thing.

Minor things... Try not to build lather by using the base of the brush bristles. The brush will probably last longer. The bristles can flex at the base, but it shouldn't be mashed against the skin. If you weren't doing that then it must have been the perspective of the lense. It's also your brush to do with as you please.

You obviously built an ultralather with that soap loading so the strokes you took w/o lather on the skin was OK. UL means you have plenty of residue on the skin to allow that. That's a good thing. W/O an ultralather you might have gotten a razor burn. Just something to guard against.

The razor was cutting the entire time; I could hear it. I like hearing it.

If you plan on using more agressive razors the full finger grip on the razor might work against the fine feel that's required, but it's no big deal otherwise. That razor is built for that grip.

We don't all shave alike, so telling you "you should do this" just isn't in my nature. I think you did fine. No blood, no razor burn, a fine shave, you did good.

One thing I did notice, you use your tongue to stretch the skin where the tongue can do that job. It works great for that doesn't it? I use the same technique. I thought I was unique. I guess not.

Carry on!

Whoops! One question... Your between shave intervals are quite long, Yes? How many days growth was that? Not writing a book, just curious.

that was probably 4-5 days or so.

I did have 1 small nick and as usual, I have terrible trouble with the very lower portion of my neck.

40 5,830
 10-06-2012, 10:25 PM
User Info
Great job with the video, Andrew! You looked great after the shave.

75 20,883
 10-07-2012, 02:40 AM
User Info
Great video, Andrew!
Perfect shave, and you kicked the s.. out of that brush Biggrin

Keep up the good work and thank you!

4 365
 10-07-2012, 03:44 AM
User Info
Good video! I hadn't seen one using an injector yet. Also a good demonstration of face lathering with a stick

10 2,062
 10-07-2012, 09:59 AM
User Info
Well done Andrew,

I've been experimenting with face lathering without much success,I didn't spend a fraction of the time you spent with the stick,hell I'm mostly done shaving by the time you were halfway done with your brush.

I think I rush too fast because I also need time to head shave

Watching your video has me thinking I'll try slowing down and devoting more time to prep & give the whiskers a bit more time to soften up.

Maybe I'll give face lathering another chance ...

I understand that aggressive brush technique,I love to do that with my VDH Boar,but I go easier on my other brushes...Cool

7 414
 10-07-2012, 10:10 AM
User Info
(10-06-2012, 09:33 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Minor things... Try not to build lather by using the base of the brush bristles. The brush will probably last longer. The bristles can flex at the base, but it shouldn't be mashed against the skin. If you weren't doing that then it must have been the perspective of the lense. It's also your brush to do with as you please.

+1. See this article: http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/educ...tment.html

9 2,988
 10-07-2012, 02:05 PM
User Info
thanks for the tips, gents.

I'm going to make another video tonight, probably face lathering with a palmolive stick and my Simpson PJ2 if I get some time.

I'll go easier on the brush.

40 5,830
 10-08-2012, 01:38 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
thanks for posting your shave video Andrew Cool

I would say you did a fine job, you definitely know your own face as far as how aggressive your strokes were.

But I tend to try to keep my strokes slower and not so much over the same area- even if my skin doesn't feel agitated, just a *mechanical* thing for my muscle groups to be consistent Wink

9 1,684
 10-08-2012, 05:27 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Andrew, you did a great job. Just think, about a year or so ago you were a newbie and now you're giving lessons. Biggrin

You could definitely give lessons on face lathering. I have absolutely no success with it.

An excellent video and I don't see much at all that you need tips on. The ones given by the other gents are excellent and even those were minor tweaks. (I even liked the train whistles in the background. Wink )

2 11,211
 10-08-2012, 07:26 PM
User Info
Andrew, i also really enjoyed the train whistle in the background! i thought it was great. Can you do that again for your next video? Hee hee.

75 20,883