10-20-2021, 04:42 PM
  • Bax
User Info
I tried some Proraso cream in a tube and was a bit disappointed with my lather.  It worked and gave me a nice protective coating, but it was still a let-down somehow.  It just didn't lather well or easily in my Dirty Bird bowl (or any other bowl).  I did some experimenting and plopped some Proraso cream directly on the brush (a Semogue boar brush) and face-lathered.  BOOM!  It EXPLODED with lather!  Holy cow!  I think I cracked the code on Proraso cream from a tube!  I was giggling like a... like a... like a... goofball who giggles when he whips up shaving cream all over his face.  I had a nice hot brush, too... good to have on a chilly morning!  I cracked the Proraso code!  Yippee!  

If YOU'RE not happy with Proraso cream from a tube, try applying it straight to the brush and face-lathering like I did... I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised!   

(Ok, you won't be surprised at all... I ruined the surprise by penning this post.  Sorry.)

:-)
- Spoiler Bax

0 391
 10-20-2021, 11:01 PM
User Info
(10-20-2021, 04:42 PM)Bax Wrote: I tried some Proraso cream in a tube and was a bit disappointed with my lather.  It worked and gave me a nice protective coating, but it was still a let-down somehow.  It just didn't lather well or easily in my Dirty Bird bowl (or any other bowl).  I did some experimenting and plopped some Proraso cream directly on the brush (a Semogue boar brush) and face-lathered.  BOOM!  It EXPLODED with lather!  Holy cow!  I think I cracked the code on Proraso cream from a tube!  I was giggling like a... like a... like a... goofball who giggles when he whips up shaving cream all over his face.  I had a nice hot brush, too... good to have on a chilly morning!  I cracked the Proraso code!  Yippee!  

If YOU'RE not happy with Proraso cream from a tube, try applying it straight to the brush and face-lathering like I did... I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised!   

(Ok, you won't be surprised at all... I ruined the surprise by penning this post.  Sorry.)

- Spoiler Bax

I've used Proraso for the first time,  green and white tubs. The lather and shaves are outstanding in every way. Dare I say, better than Marten De  cadre!  I've never tried the tubes , is the consistency same as the tubs?

0 233
 10-21-2021, 05:26 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I dunno about the ingredients or chemistry, but the tubes have a very soft cream.   Softer than toothpaste.  Gooey, even.  Very different consistency than my tub of menthol Proraso.  I didn't have much luck with the tub, so tried the tube.  Now that I've cracked the code on the tube, maybe I'll use the same strategy on the tub (apply the Proraso to the brush, then straight to the face to lather).  Maybe it'll work as well as the tube.  We'll see!
- Bax

0 391
 10-21-2021, 05:34 AM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
I find the Proraso Green Cream (tube) is a bit thirsty. 
Same with the White, which is my favorite Proraso Cream - though it doesn't have the scent/menthol characteristics of  the Green and is a bit boring in that department.

The soaps in the bowls are Ok, but I've not found them better than the creams - actually the opposite. 

The other thing that has worked for me is to use your hand to later new creams.  (pretend your hand is a bowl).  Then you can see and feel how much water you need to get the right slick/protective mix. 
Everyone's water is slightly different, and everyone has different preferences.  For some reason, I like Proraso best with boars instead of badgers.

Proraso creams will be sticky with too much product, and runny/non-protective with too little.

18 226
 10-21-2021, 06:00 AM
  • Bax
User Info
The only Paraso I have in a tub is the green menthol. I loaded the brush straight from the tub, and face lathered. I used a synthetic brush, and wasn't happy with the result. My synthetic brush was pretty stiff, and not very comfortable. After my first pass, I tried face lathering with a tiny Paraso travel size badger brush, and had MUCH better result! It wasn't as good as I would have liked, but the badger brush gave me better results than the synthetic brush for sure! While the tub lathered and gave me a nice protective layer between blade and skin, I think the tube lathered faster, better, and was more satisfying all around.

I have yet to crack the code on getting a satisfying lather from the tub.

...but I shall Master it before I give up! (Insert dramatic music here.)
-Bax

0 391
 10-21-2021, 06:40 AM
User Info
(10-21-2021, 06:00 AM)Bax Wrote: The only Paraso I have in a tub is the green menthol. I loaded the brush straight from the tub, and face lathered. I used a synthetic brush, and wasn't happy with the result. My synthetic brush was pretty stiff, and not very comfortable.  After my first pass, I tried face lathering with a tiny Paraso travel size badger brush, and had MUCH better result!  It wasn't as good as I would have liked, but the badger brush gave me better results than the synthetic brush for sure!  While the tub lathered and gave me a nice protective layer between blade and skin, I think the tube lathered faster, better, and was more satisfying all around.  

I have yet to crack the code on getting a satisfying lather from the tub.

...but I shall Master it before I give up!  (Insert dramatic music here.)
-Bax

The way I find best with the tub is to cover the tub soap with a small film of water and immediately let the brush soak up that water, then load the brush with the softened croap. I load heavily, perhaps for 20 seconds. There us after loading, some soft cream which I smear on my face . Lovely, lovely rich creamy lather after face lathering. .

0 233
 10-21-2021, 10:32 AM
User Info
I love Proraso Red in the tub or tube.  I like the green too but not as much.  There's something about the smell of that red.  It's supposedly sandlewood, but it's not quite that....  Anyway, amazing stuff for the price.  I usually take one of the small tubs with me when I travel, because the seal tightly and are super cheap.  

The stuff in the tub is much more dense than the tube version.  It's almost as hard as a puck of soap, but not quite.  The tube stuff is very soft.  So they call for different techniques.

As for lathering, it has a well-known reputation (from tub or tube) for bursting forth generously with lather.  So if you aren't seeing good lather in your bowl, on your face, on your french toast, whatever, try adjusting your technique.  More water, less water, more patience, more product, more whipping, etc.  Believe me, it's not the Proraso's fault if you aren't getting good lather.

29 332
 10-21-2021, 10:55 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I shall persevere, BrickHud!  Thanks for the pep talk!
Here were today's choices... the synthetic "Better Brush" nickel plated brush foam LOOKS good in the pic and the pathetic sloppy fallen-over tiny boar brush looks awful.  Which is the opposite of the cream's performance!  I got a better lather with the little boar brush than the synthetic.  Ended up using Cella balm, since it's too chilly for splash these days (and I figured I'd spend most of the day in the wind on the open-cab tractor, so balm seemed a better choice).  As a side note, the $6 Chinese no-brand razor (OC one side, solid bar on the other) is really finicky about blades.  Some blades give a really good shave, while other known blades of quality give a "meh" shave in this razor.  Go figure.
- Bax

[Image: Kf8GJQU.jpg]

0 391
 10-24-2021, 03:03 PM
  • Bax
User Info
Hey Roy and Brickhud - I tried your tips out today on the tub of Menthol Proraso -- it worked!  I did just as advised, and covered the Proraso dub with a layer of really hot water and let it sit for a few seconds, then let the brush soak up that water.  I loaded the brush heavily and went straight to my manly jaw to whip up a lather.  Dunno exactly what I was doing wrong before, but now I'm getting tons of thick, rich lather out of the Proraso tub just like I get out of the Proraso shaving cream from a tube! 
Thanks for the tips!
- Bax

0 391
 11-10-2021, 04:09 AM
User Info
I wondered what the azure line  and wood n spice varieties are like.

0 233
 11-10-2021, 05:25 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-10-2021, 04:09 AM)Roy Wrote: I wondered what the azure line  and wood n spice varieties are like.

Yes, wood and spice sounds especially nice. I’ve only ever seen massive tubes of those scents which put me off trying them.

20 5,678