10-26-2021, 05:07 AM
User Info
The people who write copy for advertisements must be – I feel – a special breed. Not only do they have to be able to twist the truth and lie with a smile, but if ordinary words don’t cut it, they have to come up with new words. Like this one; Stroned.

Stroned is – to paraphrase – a perfectly cromulent word. It means – we’re informed – to be both strapped and honed. And that, allegedly, set the 1949 Eversharp-Schick injector blade apart from all other razor blades. Stropped on thirty feet* leather, they claimed to give more shaves per blade than any other blade. Made your face feels like a million dollar for only a penny a shave too…

[Image: 71zjIKGb5WL._AC_SL1210_.jpg]
A 1949 advertisement for Eversharp-Schick’s stroned blades.
Speaking of the cost; 75 cents netted the 1949 shaver twenty whole blades. So a bit of maths tells us that each blade was good for 3¾ shaves – round up to four. Which is less than an injector blade do today… I usually gets two weeks of shaving out of each injector blade.

Although… I’m not sure the injector blades are stroned any more, on 10 yards^ of leather.

The four biggest shaving nuisances is something they used in their advertisements for at least a decade. I’ve previously mentioned an ad from 1958 having the Four Nuisances as it’s main focus.

As a sidenote, the injector pictured in the advertisement looks like an G-model. The G was introduced in 1946, and I do enjoy my own G4 quite a lot. Enough that I’m buying a E2 from a fellow shaver over on the ShaveNook – so watch this space for my thoughts on that.

Stroned. Now how do I slip that into a sentence?

Footnotes:
*) 9.144 meter for those of us who prefer Système international d’unités, or 0.0454545 furlongs for those who prefer the FFF-system
^) 9.144E10 Ångstrøm, for those who likes to annoy others with weird measures

3 8,036
 10-26-2021, 03:57 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-26-2021, 05:07 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: The people who write copy for advertisements must be – I feel – a special breed. Not only do they have to be able to twist the truth and lie with a smile, but if ordinary words don’t cut it, they have to come up with new words. Like this one; Stroned.

Stroned is – to paraphrase – a perfectly cromulent word. It means – we’re informed – to be both strapped and honed. And that, allegedly, set the 1949 Eversharp-Schick injector blade apart from all other razor blades. Stropped on thirty feet* leather, they claimed to give more shaves per blade than any other blade. Made your face feels like a million dollar for only a penny a shave too…

[Image: 71zjIKGb5WL._AC_SL1210_.jpg]
A 1949 advertisement for Eversharp-Schick’s stroned blades.
Speaking of the cost; 75 cents netted the 1949 shaver twenty whole blades. So a bit of maths tells us that each blade was good for 3¾ shaves – round up to four. Which is less than an injector blade do today… I usually gets two weeks of shaving out of each injector blade.

Although… I’m not sure the injector blades are stroned any more, on 10 yards^ of leather.

The four biggest shaving nuisances is something they used in their advertisements for at least a decade. I’ve previously mentioned an ad from 1958 having the Four Nuisances as it’s main focus.

As a sidenote, the injector pictured in the advertisement looks like an G-model. The G was introduced in 1946, and I do enjoy my own G4 quite a lot. Enough that I’m buying a E2 from a fellow shaver over on the ShaveNook – so watch this space for my thoughts on that.

Stroned. Now how do I slip that into a sentence?

Footnotes:
*) 9.144 meter for those of us who prefer Système international d’unités, or 0.0454545 furlongs for those who prefer the FFF-system
^) 9.144E10 Ångstrøm, for those who likes to annoy others with weird measures

Gee, it’s too bad you can’t buy stroned razor blades any longer.

22 6,694
 10-27-2021, 04:05 PM
User Info
I'm looking forward to your thoughts Charlie. My Dad was a Schick man, I can still see his razor by the bathroom sink. I've never shaved with one, but kinda always wondered what I might be missing. There are lots of nice old ones on eBay for not much money, I don't know which one I should pick up to try out. Your recommendation would be most welcome. Good luck with the new one.

0 295
 12-08-2021, 06:15 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(10-27-2021, 04:05 PM)Uncas Wrote: I'm looking forward to your thoughts Charlie. My Dad was a Schick man, I can still see his razor by the bathroom sink. I've never shaved with one, but kinda always wondered what I might be missing. There are lots of nice old ones on eBay for not much money, I don't know which one I should pick up to try out. Your recommendation would be most welcome. Good luck with the new one.

I've been toying with the idea of trying an old Schick injector razor, some advice would be most welcome.  As to the longevity of the blades in the ad, carbon blades ,which they must have been, without any post shave care,...yeah four or so is what you can expect.

9 2,934
 12-09-2021, 12:43 AM
User Info
Do it Mouser!

I got three (so far) - a E2, a G4, and a K-ish Lady Eversharp with the hydromagic lever. All are great shavers. Blades lasts me two weeks (or more - I try to rotate my razors). A vintage Schick is an inexpensive treat and a fun shave.

3 8,036
 12-12-2021, 03:30 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(12-09-2021, 12:43 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Do it Mouser!

I got three (so far) - a E2, a G4, and a K-ish Lady Eversharp with the hydromagic lever. All are great shavers. Blades lasts me two weeks (or more - I try to rotate my razors). A vintage Schick is an inexpensive treat and a fun shave.

Convinced! Thanks Warrior. I'm springing for one after the new year.

9 2,934
 12-12-2021, 07:40 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-08-2021, 06:15 PM)Mouser Wrote: I've been toying with the idea of trying an old Schick injector razor, some advice would be most welcome.  As to the longevity of the blades in the ad, carbon blades ,which they must have been, without any post shave care,...yeah four or so is what you can expect.

Ken, in my experience the older versions (E and G) are a bit more ”bitey.” I’ve developed a preference for the type I. As far as I understand, they were made in the 50s. It feels really comfortable in hand, too. Later versions (deeper in the alphabet) are said to be less aggressive. I haven’t tried any version after the type I, so no opinion.

(This picture is not mine, although I have done repeat business with the seller who took the photo.)
[Image: jd1EimV.jpg]

22 6,694