10-26-2021, 05:07 AM
User Info
The people who write copy for advertisements must be – I feel – a special breed. Not only do they have to be able to twist the truth and lie with a smile, but if ordinary words don’t cut it, they have to come up with new words. Like this one; Stroned.

Stroned is – to paraphrase – a perfectly cromulent word. It means – we’re informed – to be both strapped and honed. And that, allegedly, set the 1949 Eversharp-Schick injector blade apart from all other razor blades. Stropped on thirty feet* leather, they claimed to give more shaves per blade than any other blade. Made your face feels like a million dollar for only a penny a shave too…

[Image: 71zjIKGb5WL._AC_SL1210_.jpg]
A 1949 advertisement for Eversharp-Schick’s stroned blades.
Speaking of the cost; 75 cents netted the 1949 shaver twenty whole blades. So a bit of maths tells us that each blade was good for 3¾ shaves – round up to four. Which is less than an injector blade do today… I usually gets two weeks of shaving out of each injector blade.

Although… I’m not sure the injector blades are stroned any more, on 10 yards^ of leather.

The four biggest shaving nuisances is something they used in their advertisements for at least a decade. I’ve previously mentioned an ad from 1958 having the Four Nuisances as it’s main focus.

As a sidenote, the injector pictured in the advertisement looks like an G-model. The G was introduced in 1946, and I do enjoy my own G4 quite a lot. Enough that I’m buying a E2 from a fellow shaver over on the ShaveNook – so watch this space for my thoughts on that.

Stroned. Now how do I slip that into a sentence?

Footnotes:
*) 9.144 meter for those of us who prefer Système international d’unités, or 0.0454545 furlongs for those who prefer the FFF-system
^) 9.144E10 Ångstrøm, for those who likes to annoy others with weird measures

3 7,745
 10-26-2021, 03:57 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-26-2021, 05:07 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: The people who write copy for advertisements must be – I feel – a special breed. Not only do they have to be able to twist the truth and lie with a smile, but if ordinary words don’t cut it, they have to come up with new words. Like this one; Stroned.

Stroned is – to paraphrase – a perfectly cromulent word. It means – we’re informed – to be both strapped and honed. And that, allegedly, set the 1949 Eversharp-Schick injector blade apart from all other razor blades. Stropped on thirty feet* leather, they claimed to give more shaves per blade than any other blade. Made your face feels like a million dollar for only a penny a shave too…

[Image: 71zjIKGb5WL._AC_SL1210_.jpg]
A 1949 advertisement for Eversharp-Schick’s stroned blades.
Speaking of the cost; 75 cents netted the 1949 shaver twenty whole blades. So a bit of maths tells us that each blade was good for 3¾ shaves – round up to four. Which is less than an injector blade do today… I usually gets two weeks of shaving out of each injector blade.

Although… I’m not sure the injector blades are stroned any more, on 10 yards^ of leather.

The four biggest shaving nuisances is something they used in their advertisements for at least a decade. I’ve previously mentioned an ad from 1958 having the Four Nuisances as it’s main focus.

As a sidenote, the injector pictured in the advertisement looks like an G-model. The G was introduced in 1946, and I do enjoy my own G4 quite a lot. Enough that I’m buying a E2 from a fellow shaver over on the ShaveNook – so watch this space for my thoughts on that.

Stroned. Now how do I slip that into a sentence?

Footnotes:
*) 9.144 meter for those of us who prefer Système international d’unités, or 0.0454545 furlongs for those who prefer the FFF-system
^) 9.144E10 Ångstrøm, for those who likes to annoy others with weird measures

Gee, it’s too bad you can’t buy stroned razor blades any longer.

20 5,688
 10-27-2021, 04:05 PM
User Info
I'm looking forward to your thoughts Charlie. My Dad was a Schick man, I can still see his razor by the bathroom sink. I've never shaved with one, but kinda always wondered what I might be missing. There are lots of nice old ones on eBay for not much money, I don't know which one I should pick up to try out. Your recommendation would be most welcome. Good luck with the new one.

0 130