10-07-2012, 09:41 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1250620.JPG?m=1349630251]

Not a long time ago, I wrote about the Penhaligon's Endymion shaving cream on a tube and I was so well pleased with it that I decided to go for the most famous Penhaligon's scent , the Blenheim Bouquet.

If Aqcua Di Parma shaving cream represents the quintessential of Italian luxury wet shaving , the Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet shaving cream is the quintessential of the English wet shaving tradition.

This cream is pure luxury , from its presentation to its scent and I couldn't be happier with it.

The presentation is simply superb , since the cream comes on a box , very sturdy and elegant , and the cream is inside one of the heaviest glass jars I have came accross , even heavier than the 170g Martin de Candre Jar.The Lid is also very heavy , with the Penhaligon's logo engraved on it.Pure luxury :

[Image: P1250621.JPG?m=1349630252]

The cream is quiet thick , but maybe not as thick as the Truefitt and Hill or the Taylor of Old Bond Street ones (well , all the 3 T's and the Harris ones).I think that this cream is made by Creightons , which also makes the other Penhaligon's shaving creams , like Endymion or Opus 1870.

[Image: P1250622.JPG?m=1349630253]

The ingredients list is the following :

[Image: P1250623.JPG?m=1349630307]

Its very easy to make lather with this cream (well , and with all UK Creightons made , shaving creams ) and the lather is quiet thick and very , very slick. I find it slicker than some TOBS or even the Geo F Trumper or Truefitt Hill Hill (complex scents like 1805 or Grafton).

Skin care wise is normal , not as good as the most famous UK shaving creams like Trumper Coconut or TOBS Jermyn St or Avocado, but is there and if you use a pre shave oil , then , no problem.

And the scent , this is what put this cream on the top 3 of the best "smelling" shaving creams currently made , with Acqua Di Parma shaving cream and I will let you choose the 3rd one Wink

Blenheim Bouquet is a great combination of herbal fresh notes , like lavender , and citrus notes as well as the touch of pepper at the end.Simply SUPERB , no doubt about it.

Its not a cheap shaving cream : the 150ml tube cost 40 dollars while the 150 glass jar cost 50 dollars.I will go for the glass jar anyday of the week, since for 10 dollars more , is simply pure luxury.

A shaving cream to adore , for the sensation which gives you.[/align]

86 7,123
 10-07-2012, 09:58 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Thanks Teiste! <mumbling sarcastic remarks>
I don't want to even guess the third one, but I am adding this one to the list and really hope I wouldn't like the scent.

88 4,233
 10-07-2012, 10:35 AM
User Info
Oh man, something to add to my wish list.

129 6,685
 10-07-2012, 10:43 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
After reading that, I had to order one. I'm all about a nice luxurious cream.

9 408
 10-07-2012, 12:13 PM
User Info
I recently acquired a sample, and love the scent. Very complex. It seems to smell a little different everytime I sniff it, certain notes pop out more at different times. Yea I know, thats weird but hey.

It's just too dang much $$$ for me tho. But thats ok, I really dont need it. But I will agree its a top scent out of all the offerings out there!

4 253
 10-07-2012, 01:37 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I bought a puck of their English Fern SS a year or two ago and it left much to be desired. Actually, it could be the worst shaving soap I've used, especially for $60. I'm glad it's a great cream but they won't sell any of their products to this knucklehead again.

12 743
 10-07-2012, 01:48 PM
User Info
I'm a bit surprised that the ingredients contain five different parabens.

0 3,341
 10-07-2012, 01:52 PM
User Info
The AS splash is totally gone from their website. Does anyone know if it is discontinued? I am a splash guy andwould like to get a matching splash to the cream.

129 6,685
 10-07-2012, 01:54 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Teiste. I love all the Penhaligon's creams - much better, IMHO, than their soaps. The creams all have wonderful scents and lather beautifully. My favorite is the vintage Lords cream, no longer made.

183 12,002
 10-07-2012, 05:24 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
(10-07-2012, 01:37 PM)oscar11 Wrote: I bought a puck of their English Fern SS a year or two ago and it left much to be desired. Actually, it could be the worst shaving soap I've used, especially for $60. I'm glad it's a great cream but they won't sell any of their products to this knucklehead again.

I too have a puck of their English Fern soap and I agree with you. It's to bad because from what I hear the older version of English Fern was awesome. I've heard nothing but great things about their creams though.

45 3,955
 10-07-2012, 06:22 PM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
I wish they made an English Fern cream!

6 235
 10-07-2012, 09:19 PM
User Info
Thank you for this wonderful review, Teiste.

Amazing pictures as always!

4 365
 10-08-2012, 01:30 AM
  • SLB04
  • Schalksmühle
User Info
This jar is wonderfull. The lid is silver plated and will darken after a while. But it looks new again after polishing.

Blenheim Boquet is one of my favorite scents. I have tried almost everything that Penhaligon has with this scent, bath oil, bath soap, after shave lotion and balm... I have read that it was Winston Churchill's favourite scent.

But I have to agree with Teiste, skin care wise it is nothing impressing. Nevertheless it is fine but unfortunately expensive cream.

The current shaving soap is not good. Same problem as mentioned with the English Fern shaving soap.

1 374
 10-08-2012, 01:48 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
I'm a great fan of their BB Edt, but I had a sample of this cream and I felt ot was nothing special - each to their own, I guess.

1 290
 10-08-2012, 08:51 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks for the review Teiste.

173 23,481
 10-09-2012, 06:34 AM
User Info
(10-08-2012, 01:30 AM)SLB04 Wrote: Blenheim Boquet is one of my favorite scents. I have tried almost everything that Penhaligon has with this scent, bath oil, bath soap, after shave lotion and balm... I have read that it was Winston Churchill's favourite scent.

Probably was ... Blenheim is the name of the Churchill Palace ( yes ... it is a Palace ) and it was his birth place Smile This scent was supposedly concocted for his father, Randolph.

0 252
 10-14-2012, 10:46 AM
User Info
Using some funds from a couple of my recent sales, I picked up a jar of this plus the EdT.

The scent is hard to describe, but it just exudes luxury. The presentation is second to none. I personally found the cream to be thinner than expected. Of all the bowl / jar creams I have this is the least thick. However the creams I have are Castle Forbes, AoS and Truefitt No. 10. All pretty thick especially the CF.

For being tallow free this lathered effortlessly and the cream itself was slick and my skin still feels awesome.

My highest recommendations for this cream for those who are willing to splurge, I'd also suggest spending the extra $10 for the jar over the tube. The presentation is well worthwhile.

129 6,685
 10-14-2012, 12:44 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-14-2012, 10:46 AM)wingdo Wrote: Using some funds from a couple of my recent sales, I picked up a jar of this plus the EdT.

The scent is hard to describe, but it just exudes luxury. The presentation is second to none. I personally found the cream to be thinner than expected. Of all the bowl / jar creams I have this is the least thick. However the creams I have are Castle Forbes, AoS and Truefitt No. 10. All pretty thick especially the CF.

For being tallow free this lathered effortlessly and the cream itself was slick and my skin still feels awesome.

My highest recommendations for this cream for those who are willing to splurge, I'd also suggest spending the extra $10 for the jar over the tube. The presentation is well worthwhile.

Pure luxury , I told you so ! BiggrinBiggrin Glad you like it , my friend.

86 7,123
 10-14-2012, 10:52 PM
User Info
This is one of only three or four creams I've actually kept. I don't do shave of the day pictures often but these were the things I missed most when I was away from for several months.
[Image: IMG_0539-1.jpg]
The Trumpers Wellington pairs well with the lemony notes I get from the cream. I find it to be equally as good as the others mentioned in the skin care department, but that's always in the eye (face) of the beholder. The presentation is key for me. I can think of no other soap or cream that's quite as regal in its presentation.

Thanks for the thorough review, Teiste. Yet another product I'd add to my "list" based on your review if I didn't already have it.

0 221
 10-15-2012, 07:31 AM
User Info
I will leave the third slot vacant Tieste as I can only rank scents within their group.

For me there are a half dozen basic groups of shaving cream scents:

a) the florals which in addition to flowers (violet, rose and so forth) are lavender, lemon, orange and other leaf/herb like scents which I distinguish from spices by saying herbal is savory while spicy is sharp.

b) earth tones such as patchouli, vetyver, truffles, etc.

c) wood essences like sandalwood, cedar, oakmoss and others.

d) spices in the nature of clove, pepper, basil, etc.

e) natural essences, frankincense, myrrh, civet, honey, nutmeg and similar things.

f) cologne scents which are combinations of the above and include modern man made essences.

Blenheim Bouquet falls in the last category. Created in 1902 and named for Blenheim Palace (birthplace of Winston Churchill and reputed to have been used by him later in life) this venerable concoction remains true to it's roots as is evident in the shaving cream. From presentation through use this stuff is a class act. Expensive? Well, yes, but how many shaves are in this pot and how much would it cost to take the wife to dinner once.

Regards,
Squire

0 500