10-07-2013, 06:21 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
(03-17-2012, 06:18 AM)Johnny Wrote: Robert, it's a nice thing to have and to use all year long. Even on those hot summer months.

On those hot days, I leave the hot water in the scuttle to the last minute, and just before I start to make my lather, I pour the water out and just let the warmth of the clay keep the lather warm.

Makes for a very nice shave.

Johnny I would love to see a video one day of your routine from scuttle prep to actually making the lather in the scuttle. I don't currently own a scuttle, but have been looking into a Dirty Bird one. However, there are just so many options to chose from like everything else in the wet shaving world.

15 970
 10-07-2013, 07:43 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(10-07-2013, 06:21 AM)tsimmns Wrote:
(03-17-2012, 06:18 AM)Johnny Wrote: Robert, it's a nice thing to have and to use all year long. Even on those hot summer months.

On those hot days, I leave the hot water in the scuttle to the last minute, and just before I start to make my lather, I pour the water out and just let the warmth of the clay keep the lather warm.

Johnny I would love to see a video one day of your routine from scuttle prep to actually making the lather in the scuttle. I don't currently own a scuttle, but have been looking into a Dirty Bird one. However, there are just so many options to chose from like everything else in the wet shaving world.

Johnny is a Schwarzweisskeramik ( black and white ) scuttle user. I think they are the best . Here is a link to a vid of the maker himself, Anskar , using his scuttle while shaving.

[

15 541
 10-08-2013, 02:07 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(10-07-2013, 07:43 PM)Hanzo Wrote:
(10-07-2013, 06:21 AM)tsimmns Wrote:

Johnny is a Schwarzweisskeramik ( black and white ) scuttle user. I think they are the best . Here is a link to a vid of the maker himself, Anskar , using his scuttle while shaving.

[

I've been thinking of getting one for some time now.

How about a Schwarzweisskeramik TSN LE with a special price? I haven't seen anything like it on other forums... Is it a bit too much? Rolleyes

25 4,681
 01-20-2014, 02:17 PM
User Info
That looks amazing. I tried to make a simple pot years ago in high school and it is not easy. I didn't even manage to make anything good enough to bring home. Impressive indeed.

0 59
 02-03-2014, 08:16 PM
User Info
(03-16-2012, 04:22 PM)Teiste Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwvotVFIo...re=related

Good to know how a scuttle is made! Well done for Dirty Bird Pottery.Badger

Thank you for a beautiful illustration of creativity par excellence.

I have a new appreciation of potters and their skills.

Mickey Oberman

0 48
 10-31-2014, 10:52 AM
  • kiruiz
  • Boellis Man
  • San Juan PR
User Info
Gents:

When I first star using scuttles was about 4 years ago. Since then. I will never g back to a mug, dish or something similar to that. In my case I use a moss scuttle from Sara Bonniman just awesome.

I reco those.

Thanks
Ken

20 190
 02-24-2015, 06:01 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Thanks thanks for the video. Scuttles make lathering the most enjoyable part of my morning

7 432
 08-23-2016, 05:42 AM
User Info
(04-10-2012, 10:20 PM)SteelTown Wrote: Cool video. I did not realize scuttles were that large

I know this is a rather old thread, but there's an answer to the apparent huge size. I don't know what the percentage is, but clay pottery shrinks significantly during its manufacture. I think that most of this shrinkage occurs during the first firing, before decorative glazes are applied.

8 103