10-07-2012, 10:00 AM
User Info
Just wondering if anyone uses a form of escrow when trading items? Or do we just trust each other?

It's a lot easier to generate trust when you know someone for a while and know they will be around tomorrow. Ie, trading with a vendor or a moderator or someone who's been around forever.

Obviously we could use an escrow service, but they're pricey and add a middleman to the equation. Has anyone used paypal?

The thinking would be thus:
Both traders "sell" each other the item they are trading.
Paypal takes a 3% cut, but if anything goes wrong, they have buyer protection.

Anyway, just something I thought of the other day contemplating trading across borders.

9 2,988
 10-07-2012, 04:55 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Interesting Question.

I assume that for most transactions there is just the assumption of Trust.

This is especially true for Small inexpensive items because there is less at risk for items of a lower value.

However, once the cost or value of the item increases then, there is less trust because there is more at risk.

I guess with PayPal there is a form of Buyer's Protection where it can get pricy. But, with Thousands of Transactions PayPal is accepting the risk at a relative low cost to the Buyer.

I think that over time on any forum members would develop a method of Trading that worked for them and base it on the value of the item to Trade. I would think that it could be no trading with new members, or members with too many complaints or members who are only on once or twice a year, or members who do not communicate.

But, that depends on what it costs to develop a program.

An when you say you are contemplating trading across borders, what borders are you considering?

1 819
 10-07-2012, 04:58 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Interesting idea. I only trade with people that I am familiar with.

45 16,362
 10-07-2012, 04:58 PM
User Info
Right, it's easy to trade something you can afford to lose and even easier when there is trust due to long term membership on the boards.

But what about other circumstances?

As for my situation, I have the really expensive Plisson I want to trade for some smaller Plissons. I'd much rather get some smaller brushes I can use rather than cash. In fact, I'd rather use this behemoth than take cash. I paid so little for it, relative to it's value.

Getting off topic. The borders would be any international traders that bite.

9 2,988
 10-07-2012, 05:01 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-07-2012, 04:58 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Right, it's easy to trade something you can afford to lose and even easier when there is trust due to long term membership on the boards.

But what about other circumstances?

As for my situation, I have the really expensive Plisson I want to trade for some smaller Plissons. I'd much rather get some smaller brushes I can use rather than cash. In fact, I'd rather use this behemoth than take cash. I paid so little for it, relative to it's value.

Getting off topic. The borders would be any international traders that bite.

You really do not have Paypal protection with International Trades unless you ship via a method that offers true tracking (1st class International does not). That can add quite a bit to your cost.

45 16,362
 10-07-2012, 05:39 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I wouldn't trade anything of value anyway, so for everything else the trust works. If I get screwed, it's only money (and not a lot). Reminds me of one great saying "if someone owes you $20 and you can't find him, you got rid of him on the cheap"

88 4,233
 10-07-2012, 05:43 PM
User Info
(10-07-2012, 05:01 PM)bullgoose Wrote: You really do not have Paypal protection with International Trades unless you ship via a method that offers true tracking (1st class International does not). That can add quite a bit to your cost.

Only $12. Not a lot. Especially when talking about large value trades.

9 2,988
 10-07-2012, 05:46 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I've traded with quite a few folks and quite a few international folks. I wouldn't hesitate to trade with anyone on here really.

116 3,804
 10-07-2012, 07:41 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-07-2012, 05:43 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(10-07-2012, 05:01 PM)bullgoose Wrote: You really do not have Paypal protection with International Trades unless you ship via a method that offers true tracking (1st class International does not). That can add quite a bit to your cost.

What do you mean only $12? For what service? Isn't the extra cost dependent on weight and country? You can use International First Class for packages up to 4 pounds but this will not afford you Paypal protection. You have to ship International Priority at a minimum for Paypal protection.

45 16,362
 10-07-2012, 10:07 PM
User Info
Since i have never traded anything of great value, i have never thought about this.

75 20,884
 10-07-2012, 10:58 PM
User Info
(10-07-2012, 07:41 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(10-07-2012, 05:43 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:

What do you mean only $12? For what service? Isn't the extra cost dependent on weight and country? You can use International First Class for packages up to 4 pounds but this will not afford you Paypal protection. You have to ship International Priority at a minimum for Paypal protection.

It's $12 for registered international mail.

Hmm, haven't heard that. I'll have to look into that.

9 2,988
 10-08-2012, 12:26 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
It's a risk that you have to take. I've had great buy/sell/trades on the forums but the past year I got burned several times. These days only signed for packages both ways. But even that is no guarantee, if a person sends a empty box with a tracking number you can complain all you want to paypal.

Buying from a moderator or someone who has been around a long time and made many good transactions is also no guarantee (there has been a moderator on another forum who took razors and money from people a while ago and someone else I've done many times business with and who always delivered has caused a lot of trouble as of late).

But lets forget those few bad examples, there are far more great things going on then bad ones. Just be careful.

There is a downside, people who are new or don't post often are more likely to make people wonder if they can be thrusted. A tip for those people: If you trade/sell or buy from someone and everything went ok keep the contact information and when someone wants to do business with you but has some doubts you can refer them to those people so they can check you out.

27 1,298