11-04-2021, 01:11 PM
  • Bax
User Info
I really liked the story of LTC Schick's Magazine-Fed Repeating Combat Razor, inspired by his experience with bolt-action magazine fed rifles in WWI.  (Some people online say it was inspired by "semi-auto" rifles in WWI, which is irritating... this razor's action is a heckuva lot closer to a magazine fed bolt action rifles that became popular in WWI than any semi-auto action.  I conclude folks who make that ridiculous claim just don't know the difference, so I overlook it.)  

I saw one on the Bay and picked it up for $50.  It was probably more than I SHOULD have paid, but sometimes I'm a creature of whimsy and sometimes think like an 8-year old.  Anyway, it arrived today.  It was all gunked up.  I poked the old blade out and got a shower of ancient whiskers.  Pretty gross.  I took a lot of time cleaning it up with hot, soapy water, then an alcohol soak, then a fluff 'n' buff with Q-tips and more soapy water.  A quick alcohol rinse, a water rinse, and my new razor's Spa Day was complete.  It was time to shave with it.  I popped a few new Schick blades out of an injector doodah and put the loose blades into the old Schick's clip, loaded the clip into the magazine, and held my breath as I worked the action to load the blade.  Naturally, it jammed up rock solid.  Ugh.  I disassembled the whole thing and gave it a good "detail cleaning."
[Image: mEaW2oB.jpg]
There was a broken little shiny brass tab springy doodah in there.  It had two "wings" and one of them had apparently broken off.  

[Image: hRjNDKW.jpg]
The remaining one seemed springy, and felt secure, so I didn't worry about it.  I took about an hour carefully examining everything and figuring out how it worked.  THAT was fun!  Then I carefully cleaned it up and reassembled the razor.  If you're mechanically inclined, it's pretty easy to take apart and reassemble, but if you're not a tinkerer with mechanical aptitude, it's probably best to leave it closed up and not try to detail strip it.  Some of the parts are fragile and some of them are finicky.  But after fiddlign with it, I was confident it was going to work... at least better than it did in Paperweight Mode.

Then I loaded up some blades and tried again.  I pulled back the action and attempted to slide it forward to load another blade.  It jammed again.    Ugh.  I dropped it on the little action slide (base of the handle) on the counter from an altitude of maybe 1 inch.  It bonked the blade out of the slot in the top end of the handle!  Yay!  I tried it again, and got another blade.  Then again.  I guess "drop it on its base from an inch above the counter and it works fine" was a step I didn't know about.  But it works reliably and seems gentle enough that it won't hurt anything.  I'm fine with it.

[Image: YVXQnd3.jpg]  [Image: gLqbQxT.jpg]

Then I paired it up with some appropriate accoutrements (travel stuff) and gave it a try:
[Image: HrHPhUK.jpg]
I loaded up my face with La Toja, then face-lathered with the undeniably cute Proraso boar brush, and gave the old Schick a try.  It was heavy, and felt good in the hand.  It easily shaved from my ear to my jaw more smoothly than any other razor I've EVER tried!  I was INCREDIBLY impressed!  Then I flipped it over and tried it with the side that had a blade.  Hmm... too used to DE razors, I guess.  Anyway, it wasn't nearly as smooth and wonderful as that first swipe, but did a better job shaving whiskers away.  The Schick blade was pretty unimpressive.  It tugged and pulled like a 6-day old Shark that I'd normally have tossed at Day 3.  Maybe I gorked up the blade(s) and dulled them while playing with it and trying to get it to function.  I'll try a new blade next time.  I did a 3-pass shave with some fluff and buff, and got a pretty good shave.  Not as good as any of my old Gillettes, and nowhere NEAR a Wolfman Guerrilla, but as mentioned, that was probably the blade's fault.  The razor itself is extremely cool!

At the end of the day, I *think* I got $50 worth of fun and coolness out of this razor. 
I may make it my official Travel Razor just because it's so darned GROOVY!!

I looked it up online and learned it was a Schick Repeating Razor Type C1, although I like calling it "LTC Schick's Magazine-Fed Repeating Combat Razor" instead.
Fun!

:-)
- Bax

0 394
 11-04-2021, 07:11 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Bax, I enjoyed reading of your exploits. It seems you had a fun day! Thanks for sharing Smile

20 5,688
 11-04-2021, 09:12 PM
User Info
Wonderful writeup Bax - sounds like you've had a blast Biggrin

Quote:drop it on its base from an inch above the counter and it works fine

It's called Percussive Maintenance. The trick isn't to hit the thing you're trying to repair, but knowing where to hit it Wink

3 7,745
 11-05-2021, 01:04 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
The old repeaters are fun but as you found out a little finicky.  The easy way is to load a new blade directly to the head with care not to scrape the edge.  Yours is a rare one I think with the Open Comb.  Looks great

83 876
 11-05-2021, 05:37 PM
  • Bax
User Info
Thanks, Gary!  I tried it again today and had a MUCH better experience.  I think there's a teeny learning curve with Injectors.  I used the same blade and same "other stuff" as yesterday, but got a great 2-pass shave!  And the skinny head on this thing gets up under my nose better than a DE razor.
Cheers!
- Bax

0 394
 11-10-2021, 03:48 PM
  • Bax
User Info
Today my Schick bit me!  When I slid a new blade into place, I didn't notice what had happened.  The blade didn't slide in quite squarely.  I had a LOT of blade sticking out at the top end (before I folded the head) and not much showing at the bottom of the head.  I wasn't paying attention, so I folded the head horizontal and took a swipe down my face.  YIKES!  I took off a strip of skin 4 inches wide, a foot long, and 6 inches deep off my face and DIED from blood loss...

Well, ok.  I exaggerated.  A little.  I got a little boo-boo that bled for a moment.  I didn't really die.  But it was owie... honest!  I even hollered "ow!" so that counts as an extra owie!

I examined the razor and THAT's when I saw what had happened.  With the edge of my fingernail, I slid the blade ALL THE WAY IN along its spine, and continued my shave.  It was fine after that.  I'll need to watch to be sure the blade lines up next time I "inject" a new one to confirm that it was fully seated before beginning my shave.  After finishing my shave with Proraso Menthol and some Proraso After Shave Lotion, I felt better and pondered my Schick.  Hmm.  Are all Schick Injectors unreliable in this manner, or is this old C1 Magazine Repeating Razor just a finicky prima donna in my shave nook?
- Bax

0 394
 11-10-2021, 04:29 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Ouch is sometimes a good teacher - I wonder if the overloading was due to the thinner modern injector blades?  The head design of the old repeaters lacks the springiness of the later models, which conceivably could allow a blade to overshoot the head if I understand the problem

I haven't found any of the Schicks to have that problem, and I have been using them off and on since maybe 1964 .. I think I've used their whole alphabet at least once ..

83 876
 11-10-2021, 07:51 PM
  • Bax
User Info
It may be a blade thickness issue.  Clever thought!  I'll plan on just visually CHECKING each time I "inject" a new blade to keep little (melodramatic) owies from happening again. 

In 1964, my "Li'l shaver" (plastic yellow head with black handle) had a cardboard blade (blue on one side, cardboard color on the other).  I'd hop up on the sink and shave with it while Dad used his REAL razor.  Funny, I hadn't thought of that silly toy razor in over 50 years!  I guess THAT was my very first DE razor!   ;-)
- Youngster Bax

P.S.  I just googled it, and the "Li'l Shaver" toy is still on the market!  No longer does it have a toy DE razor, though... it has a toy cart razor now.  :-(

0 394