11-05-2021, 01:14 PM
User Info
I have my eyes on a Lamy fountain pen (probably an Al-star or something aside from the Safari), and know they have interchangeable nibs which is cool. But since in the ballpoint world I like Cross pens, I'm wondering if I should give them a chance instead.

Any thoughts from the forum?

6 1,168
 11-05-2021, 01:39 PM
User Info
I have a Cross Bailey and several Lamy fountain pens at various price points.  My experience has been that the Lamy pens are more reliable writers.  I've found the sweet spot for my Cross Bailey, but I found it to be a rather dry writer until I did.  It's a problem with many fountain pen manufacturers that they are so concerned that a pen will leak that they make the feed too stingy with the ink.  I haven't found that with Lamy.  I think you would like an Al-Star.  It's basically the same as the Safari but in a nicer metal body.

29 332
 11-05-2021, 01:43 PM
User Info
(11-05-2021, 01:14 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I have my eyes on a Lamy fountain pen (probably an Al-star or something aside from the Safari), and know they have interchangeable nibs which is cool. But since in the ballpoint world I like Cross pens, I'm wondering if I should give them a chance instead.

Any thoughts from the forum?

I have some Cross ones and I like them. I can't comment on the Lamy, I have never used or owned one. I was happy to be of no help to you.  Biggrin

5 820
 11-06-2021, 05:26 AM
User Info
Ars long vita brevis

Life is short, if you are able, get it.

70 2,209
 11-06-2021, 05:28 PM
User Info
In general I much prefer fountain pens to ball points, but ball points do have their uses (carbons, filling out forms, etc.). It has been years since I've used a Cross BP so really can't comment on them vs. Lamy fountain pens. I do have several Lamys, both Safari and Al-star. I do not notice any difference in them save the feel of the barrel material. All are good writers for me and as mentioned they have replaceable nibs. If you stick to cartridges the ink colors are a bit limited (you can clean empty cartridges and refill with any ink using a syringe). When I do need a BP my preference is for the Caran d'Ache 849; they write well, do not blob the ink, the refill lasts forever, and come in interesting colors (depending on price).

1 156
 11-06-2021, 05:51 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
I have found that a Parker Gel rollerball refill is a better writing instrument than the Cross ballpoint
I have a Lamy Safari fountain pen and, for a modest priced pen, its quite satisfactory.  Your post stated "other than the Safari."  Interesting because the AL-Star uses the same feed and nib as the Safari.  Its the housing that's metal vs plastic

I don't know what Cross you were looking at, but the azure color AL-Star is a handsome pen.

Based on those two experiences, I would definitely pass on the Cross fountain pen.

[Image: uPvHNcf.jpg]

69 2,035
 11-08-2021, 03:35 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I have several Lamy pens and both Al and Safari are good but the 2k superb

0 714