11-08-2021, 10:36 AM
User Info
Is it really difficult to learn how to use a double edge razor or not?

0 18
 11-08-2021, 11:25 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Not difficult at all.  You will shave just like you do with a cartridge razor except you have to have a light touch (much less pressure) on the DE (double edge) razor.  You can even start with the same shave soap (gel) you currently use to get started.

Have you bought a DE razor yet?

0 179
 11-08-2021, 12:22 PM
User Info
(11-08-2021, 11:25 AM)Chappy Wrote: Not difficult at all.  You will shave just like you do with a cartridge razor except you have to have a light touch (much less pressure) on the DE (double edge) razor.  You can even start with the same shave soap (gel) you currently use to get started.

No. What are the most aggressive de razors?

0 18
 11-08-2021, 02:17 PM
User Info
It’s like golf (though not as difficult to learn) in that there are a number of things you need to pick up. Face prep, creating lather, using the DE/SE/Straight (which includes understanding light pressure), mapping your beard, and spotting issues/giving your face a rest. Good news - you can find all the answers here! Bad news - it still takes time to learn.

36 2,265
 11-08-2021, 02:31 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
+1  on Mike's post - I first used a DE ages ago .. it didn't go well.  Then I used Schicks until they sent us free cartridge razors in college, then used those until about 13 years ago.  The DE wasn't hard to pick up then, but like many things there is a learning curve, before a challenge to continue to improve sets in  .. just like golf I guess

83 876
 11-08-2021, 03:02 PM
User Info
I think the four stages of Competence applies here. Courtesy of Wikipedia:

1. Unconscious incompetence The individual does not understand or know how to do something and does not necessarily recognize the deficit. They may deny the usefulness of the skill. The individual must recognize their own incompetence, and the value of the new skill, before moving on to the next stage. The length of time an individual spends in this stage depends on the strength of the stimulus to learn.
  2. Conscious incompetence Though the individual does not understand or know how to do something, they recognize the deficit, as well as the value of a new skill in addressing the deficit. The making of mistakes can be integral to the learning process at this stage.
  3. Conscious competence The individual understands or knows how to do something. However, demonstrating the skill or knowledge requires concentration. It may be broken down into steps, and there is heavy conscious involvement in executing the new skill.
  4. Unconscious competence The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it has become "second nature" and can be performed easily. As a result, the skill can be performed while executing another task. The individual may be able to teach it to others, depending upon how and when it was learned.

6 99
 11-08-2021, 05:16 PM
User Info
Don't overthink this.  There is a learning curve.  It's a learning curve which virtually every man in the USA during most of the 20th century figured out.  If you have specific questions, you'll find the guys here very willing to make helpful suggestions.

60 11,378
 11-08-2021, 06:28 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
(11-08-2021, 12:22 PM)ericgonzalez Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 11:25 AM)Chappy Wrote: Not difficult at all.  You will shave just like you do with a cartridge razor except you have to have a light touch (much less pressure) on the DE (double edge) razor.  You can even start with the same shave soap (gel) you currently use to get started.

No. What are the most aggressive de razors?

Why do you want to start with a very aggressive razor?  Do you get a decent shave using cartridges?

0 179
 11-08-2021, 06:52 PM
User Info
(11-08-2021, 10:36 AM)ericgonzalez Wrote: Is it really difficult to learn how to use a double edge razor or not?

I can do it.

0 130
 11-10-2021, 07:26 AM
User Info
(11-08-2021, 10:36 AM)ericgonzalez Wrote: Is it really difficult to learn how to use a double edge razor or not?

Not at all.
I picked up my Muhle R89, and had no problem whatsoever to shave with.
Steepest learning curve ever.

And for aggressive razors, I guess the Muhle R41 (2011 or later models) will be mentioned often.
I found those as easy as the R41, yet less forgiving.

0 814
 11-10-2021, 10:05 AM
  • Bax
User Info
LegalRazor's comment "Don't overthink this" is spot on!  I used a DE out of necessity one day and didn't think, for even a moment, that there was anything to learn.  Just picked it up and used it.  After that I used canned foam with it for a while before discovering the Good Stuff.  Yes, I picked up better technique (after finding this forum) but I still got acceptable shaves all my myself without any effort or help, just like a big boy!  Try a taller angle.  Try a shallower angle.  Try a different brand blade.  Goof with it and you'll find your groove.   Then you can talk about it like you know what you're doing.  There *is* a learning curve, but it's so insignificant that you probably won't notice it... at least not if you're using a "normal" razor.  As the marketing execs at Nike once said "Just Do It!"
  :-)
- Bax

0 393