11-18-2021, 04:08 PM
  • Bax
User Info
Today I found myself and needing a shave and had no brush. I had a razor and cream, though. I softened up my whiskers with a hot washcloth, then squeezed some Proraso from the tube into my palm and started rubbing my hands together like I was scrubbing them up for surgery, quickly passing them under a hot water faucet to add a little water as I scrubbed my palms together. I got a lather in no time! It went straight on my face with both hands, I rinsed my hands, and reached for my razor. I had a dandy first pass! I rinsed my face with wet hands and felt around to find the areas that would need a second pass. (I was trying to use one of my wife's little makeup mirrors, and it was useless, so feeling around my handsome face was more effective.) There was enough leftover foam on my face (you know, in my ears, up my nose, and that sort of thing) to reallocate and make a second pass. Certainly not the best shave I've ever had, but it was easily a"socially acceptable shave," maybe better. This might become my standard practice when camping! It was quick, easy, and I didn't have to worry about finding a brush or drying it out after my shave.

Yeah, I probably committed some sort of shaving sin, but it worked!
:-)
- Bax

0 391
 11-18-2021, 04:15 PM
User Info
I too found myself in a similar situation once and did pretty much the same thing Bax, except I used a stick of Speick and face lathered with my hand and had the nicety of a mirror.

6 96
 11-19-2021, 08:55 AM
User Info
(11-18-2021, 04:15 PM)Spartan76 Wrote: I too found myself in a similar situation once and did pretty much the same thing Bax, except I used a stick of Speick and face lathered with my hand and had the nicety of a mirror.

I’ve done the same whole traveling too, since I usually bring a stick or two. Pretty easy to swipe the fave and then use a wet hand to lather up, obviously not the same end result as using a brush but totally acceptable enough to get a quality shave!

10 220
 11-19-2021, 04:13 PM
User Info
Agreed.  Backcountry river trip is a razor and hand lather, no mirror.

6 586
 11-20-2021, 01:15 PM
  • Bax
User Info
Aww, man.  And here I was thinking I was a ground-breaking pioneer in a new shaving technique!
I guess noobs always discover stuff everyone else already knows, but it's still fun!
  :-)
- Bax

0 391
 11-21-2021, 07:45 AM
User Info
My go-to option for times like these is a can of Nivea sensitive shave gel. It comes out as a gel out of the can, can go straight to the face, immediately lathers up, and is pretty slick. Very hassle free and highly effective. I would highly recommend trying one / keeping one as a back up.

Sent from my HD1901 using Tapatalk

0 44
 11-24-2021, 07:05 PM
User Info
I have actually used a puck of LEA shave soap and just rubbed it on my face after rubbing it down with water.
Made a fine lather and led to an acceptable shave.
Had at least 4 days of growth and my beard is very coarse and covers a large portion of my face. I believe this helped create the lather.
Improvisation is the key!

0 5