11-21-2021, 06:49 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I really started wet shaving during the pandemic, so haven't really been at it very long.
I muddled along until I stumbled across the SN on 15 June 2021; I've learned a lot in the last 5 months.
I've tried tons of stuff (razors, blades, creams, aftershaves, balms, potions, lotions, and alum blocks).
I don't cut myself quite so much anymore and can tell the difference between badger, boar, and horsehair.
I've journeyed from DE to SE razors, to see what they're like. 
Even tried obsolete razors with proprietary blades I had to remanufacture myself from DE blades.
Surely I've been wet shaving long enough to shed the "newbie" moniker.
When I become a full-fledged SN member, and no longer a Newbie, will I learn the Secret Handshake?  How about the Secret Arcane Mystic Rituals?
Will there be a Graduation Ceremony?

:-)
- Old Newbie Bax

0 391
 11-21-2021, 07:12 AM
User Info
Once the last graduate returns the goat, it's your turn Bax... Wink

On a more serious note, I find that there is always something new to learn when it comes to wetshaving - just as it is in life in general. So while I may no longer be a n00b, I don't consider myself a master by far.

3 7,735
 11-21-2021, 07:22 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Well, I can’t say when it’ll happen for you, but I knew I’d “graduated” when my problem areas were no longer a problem. Irritation on the lower neck is a non-issue now.

20 5,678
 11-21-2021, 07:59 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I reckon I'll just wait for that last graduate to show up with the goat...
- Bax

0 391
 11-21-2021, 10:26 AM
User Info
Like Charlie, once my “problem” areas were no longer a problem, I knew I’d moved past a critical milestone. As an aside - before traditional wet-shaving, I’d always been enamored by the thought of going to a professional barber for a straight razor shave. My mind had built this idea up to a mystical level that I thought I’d never reach. Let’s just say that I no longer harbor this desire, and instead enjoy being a lifelong learner.

These days, the experience of shaving is just as satisfying as the result.

36 2,265
 11-21-2021, 01:45 PM
User Info
I'm only 38, but I've been wet shaving for more then 20 years... and I'm still learning some stuff here and there... I used straight razor for more then 15 years out of that 20+ years... and by watching some others shaving with straight razor, I still learn some thing... of course I'm learning quite less then 20 years ago, but I'm still learning and I'm very humble about it. So... I'm far from being an expert despite the fact that I'm not a beginner anymore...

0 378
 11-21-2021, 04:11 PM
User Info
(11-21-2021, 07:59 AM)Bax Wrote: I reckon I'll just wait for that last graduate to show up with the goat...
- Bax

The problem with used Goats are you have no idea how the previous guy treated it. Could be hi mileage... Dodgy

6 96
 11-21-2021, 05:50 PM
User Info
Used goat. Scooped twice.

6 586
 11-21-2021, 05:56 PM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
Good question Bax.  I've wondered about this with  this and other pursuits.  My take is timewise, somewhere around the 1 year mark.  To go along with that very general guideline, when friends and family ask questions about it.  Genuine questions seeking understanding of the subject.  When you're being recognized as one who is their resident "authority" on the matter.

0 632
 11-21-2021, 06:43 PM
User Info
I knew I graduated once I started to get irritation free shaves with my Fusion 5 carts - even on 5-6 day stubble.

I basically applied my DE technique to carts in a fusion (no pun intended) and at that point I knew I was close to done.

After that I slowly started to write and read less on the shaving forums - sort of the same way I feel about my other hobby, cooking and cookware.
Once I felt I mastered the basic cooking techniques and mastered a wide range of different sauces - I lost interest in many forums and youtube channels with basic cooking advice.
Once I got the knife selection, 2.5 copper cookware, carbon steel pans, PLY pans and ECI pots I wanted, I started to slowly lose interest in cookware forums.

The thread I most often write in on this forum is the fragrance thread - this pretty much says it all. I graduated a long time ago now.

25 7,087
 11-21-2021, 07:02 PM
User Info
You’ll have graduated when your shaves become satisfying enough for you to realize that you’ll not be going back to disposable razor devices. Ever.

58 597
 11-22-2021, 07:16 AM
  • Bax
User Info
"When you're being recognized as one who is their resident "authority" on the matter."
Ah, yes... in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king!
  ;-)
- Bax

0 391
 11-23-2021, 05:41 AM
User Info
(11-21-2021, 07:02 PM)shaveser Wrote: You’ll have graduated when your shaves become satisfying enough for you to realize that you’ll not be going back to disposable razor devices. Ever.

Why ?
What if you can get excellent shaves using both a DE razor and a cart razor ?

25 7,087
 11-23-2021, 06:59 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-23-2021, 05:41 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 07:02 PM)shaveser Wrote: You’ll have graduated when your shaves become satisfying enough for you to realize that you’ll not be going back to disposable razor devices.  Ever.

Why ?

Fair question. I agree that many people can achieve excellent shaves with both formats, DE and cartridge razors. But, since this is a shave forum, let’s split hairs. shavesr did say disposable razor devices, not cart razors.

In my mind there’s a distinction between disposables and cartridges; carts are higher on the razor ladder compared to disposables.

20 5,678
 11-23-2021, 02:55 PM
User Info
I’ve never been able to use disposables - they just don’t seem to be sharp enough. However, like Claus, applying traditional wet-shaving techniques to cartridge shaving changed the game. So much so, that I will occasionally rotate in a cartridge razor for a week or two before returning to my SEs.

36 2,265
 11-23-2021, 04:55 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-21-2021, 10:26 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: These days, the experience of shaving is just as satisfying as the result.

Signs011

20 5,678
 11-23-2021, 05:20 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(11-23-2021, 06:59 AM)chazt Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 07:02 PM)shaveser Wrote: You’ll have graduated when your shaves become satisfying enough for you to realize that you’ll not be going back to disposable razor devices.  Ever.

Why ?

Fair question. I agree that many people can achieve excellent shaves with both formats, DE and cartridge razors. But, since this is a shave forum, let’s split hairs. shavesr did say disposable razor devices, not cart razors.

In my mind there’s a distinction between disposables and cartridges; carts are higher on the razor ladder compared to disposables.

What's the distinction?  Less time to the trash?

83 875
 11-23-2021, 06:06 PM
User Info
(11-21-2021, 07:02 PM)shaveser Wrote: You’ll have graduated when your shaves become satisfying enough for you to realize that you’ll not be going back to disposable razor devices. Ever.

Why ?

Then, by my definition, you’ll have graduated.
All kidding aside, i think there is a time and place for cart - i.e. if I have to get through a shave in less than 3 minutes, I’ll use a cart. But the OP gave examples of his forays into DEs and SEs, so that was the context for my newbie diploma proposition. . .

58 597
 11-23-2021, 07:17 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-23-2021, 05:20 PM)garyg Wrote:
(11-23-2021, 06:59 AM)chazt Wrote:
(11-23-2021, 05:41 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Why ?

It was my impression when I used the 2 (similar) formats that the cartridge blades were sharper and lasted longer than the completely disposables.

20 5,678
 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
User Info
(11-23-2021, 07:17 PM)chazt Wrote:
(11-23-2021, 05:20 PM)garyg Wrote:
(11-23-2021, 06:59 AM)chazt Wrote: Fair question. I agree that many people can achieve excellent shaves with both formats, DE and cartridge razors. But, since this is a shave forum, let’s split hairs. shavesr did say disposable razor devices, not cart razors.

It was my impression when I used the 2 (similar) formats that the cartridge blades were sharper and lasted longer than the completely disposables.

I agree.
I have never used a disposable cart razor in my life.

Only cart razors I’ve tried are the Feather cart (like the Feather SS couldn’t cut my stubble even after 10 passes so completely useless for me just like my 2 Feather DE SS razors were even with Feather and KAI DE blades in them, my very mild Mühle R89 was an aggressive monster razor compared to my Feathers), Wilkinson Sword cart (the one I used gave me a mediocre shave, but that’s 20+ years ago now), Gillette Sensor (great 2-blade cart), Gillette Mach 3 (awesome on 1-2 day stubble) and Gillette Fusion 5 (I still prefer the original orange carts, not as sharp as the new ones but holds the edge for far longer - with continuous thumb stropping I can get 30-40 great shaves on the same Fusion 5 orange cart - I must say though, that if I want a BBS shave on 1 day stubble the Fusion 5 is not my preferred razor, here I prefer the Mach 3 or a DE razor since it gives me less irritation, but on 3-5 day stubble nothing beats a Fusion 5 in my personal experience, not even my Mühle R41 can compete here)

All in all, the Gillette cart razors have always given me great shaves, just like pretty much all Gillette DE blades work great for me, except 7 O’CLOCK Yellow and Green.

25 7,087