11-23-2021, 08:36 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Do you have a preference for which brush you use for any particular shave soap or cream?

I have a love/hate relationship with Arko shave soap.  Generally I like it but once I use up what I have I don't know I will by buying any more as there are better shave soaps out there I like better.  One thing I discovered with Arko, but not with any other shave soaps thus far, is I get a better lather which holds up longer with a synthetic brush.  I have overloaded a badger brush to make sure I have enough soap, more and less water, but for some reason the lather will break down to basically nothing during a shave so I'm curious about your experiences.

Thanks in advance!

0 182
 11-23-2021, 11:07 AM
  • Bax
User Info
Non-responsive response:  I've never used Arko.  I *do* know that I get better performance with some soaps/creams if I use a different brush.  If I use shaving sticks, then a stiffer brush works best (my VieLong horse hair or my stiff Synthetic).  If I'm using softer creams (like Proraso from a tube), I get better luck with boar.  If I'm whipping up a hard soap in a Dirty Bird shaving dish, then boar is the way to go.  Badgers can work ok on both soft cream and hard puck, too, but they're a LOT more work to get the lather I like (fussy, I guess).  IMHO soaps and brushes are like razors and blades... once you find the right pair-up, they're good to go!

But what do *I* know... I'm still a newbie until the last guy forks over the goat.
  :-)
- Bax

0 402
 11-23-2021, 12:45 PM
User Info
Boar or badger.... Since I use a bowl, they all work together well.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

0 42
 11-23-2021, 02:44 PM
User Info
To be fair - I’ve found that any brush will load any soap. That said…
1. For easy to load creams, croaps, and soft-soaps: a medium density brush (Paladin, Saponificio Varesino)
2. For long-load soaps like Mike’s: generally a dense brush like a chubby-2
3. SV Triple-milled soaps: do well with medium-density brushes
4. Anytime I want to load suuuuuuper heavy and use up a soap: chubby-2 Biggrin

Related: if I haven’t shaved in 3-4 days, I’ll always use a scrubby-dense brush like a chubby-2 Manchurian. If I’m shaving every-day/ever-other-day I’ll use a cloud-soft brush like a Paladin, Saponificio Varesino, or Morris & Forndran.

36 2,265