12-02-2021, 08:54 AM
User Info
Dear Shaving-Aficionados:

I am happy to read on this fantastic Forum many discussions on the use of barber or face towels, especially those hot wet or steamed towels: some suggest putting a face towel in the freezer for the post shave (e.g. Craig the Barber) and some suggest using Japanese fabrics or towels (e.g. Ikeuchi). Thank you for all the ideas and tips so one can build an individual routine.

I am a great fan of using the hot wet face towel as a pre-shave – and personally I do make it a more ‘meditative moment’ by adding a drop of an essential oil (e.g., mint, citrus, orange, grapefruit) on the hot wet towel – it adds just that extra luxury to the routine. Laying down for a minute or five and breath the damp and the scent of the towel on your face as if you are visiting a steam-bath. In general I am more relaxed, the face and hair are pleasantly warm and the oil-damp 'cleans' (subjectively) the respiratory system. 

I also used the towel-in-the-freezer for the post-shave and added a strong essential oil (e.g., mint or eucalyptus works great) to add that extra cooling effect. It was simply great and the combination between the two - warm in pre-shave and cold in the post-shave - reminded me to the Kneipp treatment I am using as a daily routine (the Kneipp is a hydrotherapy known very well in Germany and other parts of (Northern) Europe).

The towels I am using are made of twisted 50% linen and 50% cotton (weight 260 g/qm), as it absorbs enough water and keeps it warm for about five minutes.

Are there more gentlemen using a more ‘luxurious’ treatment of warming-up the face and cooling-down the face with the barber towels?

Best,
         Denkie

0 10
 12-02-2021, 03:41 PM
  • Bax
User Info
i get a washcloth as hot as I can under the tap, then slap it on my manly (yet undeniably cute) face and scrub it around, then let it stay there until it starts cooling off.  Yeah, it is a kind of "meditative moment."  No oils, scents, or other fragrances.  While I like the smell of Hoppes #9, it probably wouldn't be good to inhale, so I don't use any.  Then I remove the towel (washcloth) and slap on some shaving cream from a Dirty Bird bowl (summer) or a shaving stick (winter), and lather up with a brush that's been sitting in hot water waiting for me.  I really like the warm brush a lot.  That's as close as I get to a luxury shave.  My favorite little washcloth has Winnie the Pooh (storybook character) on it; my wife tells her friends I put pooh on my face, then shave. 
   :-)
- Bax

0 530
 12-03-2021, 06:19 AM
User Info
(12-02-2021, 03:41 PM)Bax Wrote: i get a washcloth as hot as I can under the tap, then slap it on my manly (yet undeniably cute) face and scrub it around, then let it stay there until it starts cooling off.  Yeah, it is a kind of "meditative moment."  No oils, scents, or other fragrances.  While I like the smell of Hoppes #9, it probably wouldn't be good to inhale, so I don't use any.  Then I remove the towel (washcloth) and slap on some shaving cream from a Dirty Bird bowl (summer) or a shaving stick (winter), and lather up with a brush that's been sitting in hot water waiting for me.  I really like the warm brush a lot.  That's as close as I get to a luxury shave.  My favorite little washcloth has Winnie the Pooh (storybook character) on it; my wife tells her friends I put pooh on my face, then shave. 
   :-)
- Bax

I have always thought there should be an Hoppes #9 Eau de Parfum...

7 149
 12-03-2021, 04:52 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Denkie, welcome to the Shave Nook Smile

It sounds like you have a great pre and post shave routine that is perfect for your shaving and relaxation needs. I applaud your self indulgence!

Personally, I don’t do it. Face lathering makes me happy.

22 6,874
 12-05-2021, 05:09 PM
User Info
Like Bax wrote, I also like to start off with a hot washcloth compress, and then apply warm lather from a boar brush that has been soaking in hot water. But, after the first pass nothing warm touches my face, and I end the last pass with a cold washcloth compress. No rubbing and no rinsing. Then pat dry with a hygienic barber's towel. Again no rubbing just pat dry. Then, a bracing splash of aftershave lotion-no balms.

Ahhh......

0 24