12-05-2021, 02:02 PM
  • Bax
User Info
We're taking a quick trip, and I wanted to take my Semogue instead of my travel brush.  So I needed a brush stand that'd permit me to hang my brush "bristles down" to dry.   No time to find something and order it online, so I had to be resourceful.  I'd made one out of twisted wire before, so I wanted to try something different on this project.  I spied a little scrap of Kydex on my bench, left over from a knife sheath project.  It was a beat-up scrap, but it was immediately available, and I'm lazy, so figured I'd use it.  Kydex is a type of sheet plastic you can find on Amazon in a variety of thicknesses.  Toss it in the oven at 350 for a minute or two and it gets all floppy like a pancake.  Then you can fold, mold, and shape it however you want.  It's tough to cut, but when it's hot and floppy, fresh out of the oven, you can just cut it with regular old scissors.  It can be used for lots of stuff, and it's fun to play with.  I didn't want to heat up an oven (too impatient to wait), so I used my lovely bride's hair dryer to heat up a little scrap of Kydex.  When it was hot and floppy, I cut it into a rectangular strip with scissors.  By the time I was done, it was getting cool and hardening.  So I blasted it with the hair dryer again and bent it to the shape I wanted over the edge of my counter top and let it cool.  By the time I got out my Dremel tool, it was cool enough and hard enough to cut and sand with the Dremel.  I cut out a "U" shape to snugly hold the handle of the Semogue I'm taking on the trip (tested the fit, shaved some more, etc, until I got it right).  I used a cutoff wheel for removing most of the material in the "U" cut, because I'm impatient and figured it'd be quicker than sanding, then I cleaned it up with a little drum sanding wheel on my Dremel.  Sanding Kydex is kinda stinky, so I just held my breath and buzzed out the U-shape.

It may not look pretty, but it'll stand my brush up to dry on our trip, so water will drip off the end of the bristles rather than toward the knot.  
[Image: 8Ijae1G.jpg]
[Image: FTeV7X5.jpg]
I made it as small as I could in order to take up as little space as possible in my shaving kit (Dopp Bag).  Yeah, if I'd taken my time and been careful... maybe even if I'd measured stuff... it might have come out better -- or neater.   Often it's quicker to just DO stuff than to plan, measure, and be all finicky.  Did I mention I'm impatient?  I'm a man of ACTION, not a man of analysis and planning!  (Insert heroic action movie music here.)  I think from the point where I decided to make one... and the time I had it finished and it was holding my brush... was perhaps 5-10 minutes, tops.  Total cost was negligible, since this was a Kydex scrap left over from a knife sheath I made last month.

I think this little shaving brush stand will do the job just fine; it'll probably live in my Dopp bag.
If you needs something similar, I suggest you give Kydex a look.
IMHO it worked great, and was quick & easy to make!
  :-)
- Bax

0 412
 12-05-2021, 02:54 PM
User Info
Bax, that's quite resourceful.  I have kydex knife sheaths and holsters, but have not made them myself.

60 11,494
 12-06-2021, 07:19 PM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
Cool Bax.  Looks good actually.  And like you, I do a lot of off the cuff, scrap material projects like this.  Kudos.

0 682
 12-06-2021, 08:03 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Looks good. Very resourceful of you. How stable is it, Bax?

20 5,854
 12-06-2021, 08:55 PM
User Info
Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Well done Bax!

3 7,840
 12-07-2021, 06:13 AM
User Info
It's very tacticool Bax Biggrin

7 142
 12-07-2021, 07:54 AM
  • Bax
User Info
(12-06-2021, 08:03 PM)chazt Wrote: Looks good. Very resourceful of you. How stable is it, Bax?

When I made it originally, it was a teeny bit wobbly (the base wasn't perfectly flat), so I just heated up the base a bit, flattened it better, and took out the wobble.  Kydex is super easy to modify as needed.   
  :-)
- Bax

0 412