12-09-2021, 11:47 PM
User Info
Its easy to forget that we handle very sharp blades. I had a lucky escape today and the only reason I avoided an evening trip to the emergency room was just luck. Let me explain. I almost always use a feather AS-D2 to shave. After I shave, I remove the handle and place the two plates down, top plate on top, blade still in between the 2 plates. Then I wash the handle under running water, gently running my thumbs over it to remove any left over lather. Then I pick up the top plate and run my thumbs over it under running water. Now, normally, almost always, the blade stays attached to the middle plate and I pay attention, noticing the blade left behind. Today, I picked up the top plate, as if through muscle memory and not really paying attention and had just started to run my thumb over it, when I suddenly noticed the blade attached to it and as a reflex, immediately lifted my thumbs away from the plate and almost dropped it. I was about the run my thumb along the edge of the blade with enough pressure to cut deep. Luckily I shaved a few millimetres of the top skin of my thumb without drawing blood. This could have been a very embarrassing way to end up in the emergency room.

0 192
 12-10-2021, 05:13 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Glad to hear you did not have a medical emergency but understand how it occurred.  Doing the same routine every day or most every day it is easy to let your mind get into a lull where you are not paying attention to what you are doing as well as you should.  I have cut my thumb and fingers pretty good and even stabbed myself slightly while stropping the blade on the inside of my forearm.  I now take a deep breath, pause for a moment, and literally think about what I am about to do before I start handling any razor blade.  I now never wipe it in any manner and put it back in the razor with a loose top cap so I can rinse the head under very hot water.  If I do lay it on my counter I always let it over hang the counter a bit but well away from me so it is easier to pick up.  Lately I've started setting it on the beauty ring around my sink so one end is slightly elevated and easier to pick it up from the end.  Thought about gluing a small magnet on the end of my shave handles but instead generally use a very small magnetic tool from my workshop to pick up blades.

0 213
 12-10-2021, 06:35 AM
User Info
That was a close call, indeed.  When I finish my shave and before I even rinse my face, I immediately remove the blade from the razor and dispose of it.  I don't like the idea of a razor with a blade in it being on the countertop for any period of time.  It's just too easy to forget that there is a blade in the razor.

60 11,493
 12-10-2021, 07:35 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I’ve been pretty lucky so far. My only accidents have been the result of carelessness. Twice, a minor divot of flesh was due to inattention when palm stropping. You’d think I’d have learned after the first “incident.”

20 5,853