12-21-2021, 05:46 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Got the Henson as an early Christmas present this year.  Super light aluminum razor.

Weight: 37g (1.03oz)
Length: 104mm (4.1in)
Blade Gap: 0.68mm (0.026in)
Blade Exposure: 0.025 mm (0.001 in)
Preshave: Homemade
Soap: Tabac
Head: Henson AL13 (mild)
Handle: RazoRock SLOC
Blade: Personna Crystal
Brush: badger (reknotted myself)

I really wanted another adjustable razor but the one I wanted was sold out everywhere I looked.  Caught this Henson on sale at a verdor's website and thought with the very small blade exposure and everyone talking about how mild it feels I thought it might work for me as I like super mild razors.  How mild is super mild?  For me I use the Rockwell 6s Plate 2 (can use Plate 1 but like blade feel with 2), Gillette Fatboy setting 3, and Gillette Slim setting 2.  Yes, that mild and I can still get a BBS shave most of the time but if I get a DFS shave I am okay with that too.

First few times shaving with the Henson was troublesome for me.  Though they were BBS shaves the difficulty was knowing how much pressure to apply to the super light razor so I irritated my neck each time.  Kind of reminded me of using a cartridge razor where you have to apply slight pressure which I really never could get down.  Saw a video of a vendor using a stainless steel handle on a Henson to "beef it up".  I think he was really trying to push selling the handles but that's another story.  I was about ready to sell this Henson and thought what the heck I'll try anything first.

Used my RazoRock SLOC stainless steel handle and even shimmed the blade on top to make it milder.  WOW, what a difference!  The shim did it's job but more importantly the stainless steel handle added enough weight to the razor it felt like any of my other DE razors and could use it the same way.

I created my first Frankenrazor!!   Biggrin

[Image: ipqsl5P.jpg]

0 212
 12-21-2021, 07:50 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Nice razor Stan. I picked up a black medium to see what the buzz is about. So far I’ve used it only once. Tbh, I wasn’t blown away. As such I have no opinion at present. Maybe I’ll use it tomorrow. Today was a no shave day, so that ought to be a good test.

20 5,835
 12-22-2021, 09:25 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
I again used my Frankenrazor today and another BBS shave.  Don't forget to try a heavy stainless steel handle as it made a huge difference for me.

0 212
 12-22-2021, 10:36 AM
  • Wolf
  • Valencia, Spain
User Info
Chappy, I'm glad that your Frankenrazor works very well for you, there are combinations that can be very good.

0 460