12-24-2021, 09:03 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
I posted once about having problems with a good Arko lather going flat during a shave.  Did a lot of experimenting with different preshaves, soaps, brushes, etc. and finally figured out it is this particular brush that does it regardless what soap/cream I use.  Bought the brush used so I did not set the knot myself but is supposed to have the same knot I have in another brush that works great.  I have cleaned this brush with a non-conditioned shampoo, dish soap, and even water & vinegar but nothing has helped.  Looked at the brush myself and does appear to be same know as I already have but the only thing I question is it appears to be set a little too deep but that should not make it a lather killer.

Anyone have any suggestions other than getting a new knot for it?

Sorry if pics a little big but wanted to be sure you have a good look at it.

[Image: 0ltN6Bw.jpg]
[Image: qNKu7jb.jpg]

0 217
 12-24-2021, 12:51 PM
User Info
Chappy, I have a two band brush that ate lather like yours is doing. What I did was wash it with some of the wife's clarifying shampoo and it stopped eating lather after that.

7 145
 12-24-2021, 06:23 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Well as luck would have it I was mad and gave the knot a twist and it came out.  One drop of silicone was all that was holding it in.  Did some measuring and it is the right knot for the handle with about 1.5mm clearance but the handle was drilled about 2mm too deep.  Should not have made the brush eat lather to the best of my knowledge.  Since knot is out went ahead and recleaned with Prell hair shampoo and again with a water/vinegar solution.  I'll put a washer below the know and reset it probably Sunday with tomorrow being Christmas so I am sure all is dry before I start.  If this doesn't work guess I'll start looking for another knot.

0 217
 12-24-2021, 08:22 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
 12-25-2021, 09:02 AM
User Info
I have a few knots that I wish would come out with a simple twist, those brushes make nice gifts. Good luck with the project.

0 138
 12-28-2021, 09:21 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Today I ruled out my homemade preshave mixture.  I washed my face, pat dried it, and applied only the base ingredient of my preshave mix to soak on my face while I mixed the lather in a bowl.  Used the synthetic Simpsons T3 brush, whipped up some Arko, and had a great 3-pass shave with no issues.  After shaving I added an abundant amount of each of the other ingredients in my homemade preshave mix individually to see if one of them would flatten the lather.  Actually made the lather more creamy and slicker.  I then wet the problem badger brush and did a few swirls in the bowl which instantly flattened the lather.  Angry 

Tomorrow or the next day I'll try the same routine as today with another badger brush to see if I can pin the problems on just the one brush or all badger brushes.  This doesn't make sense to me!!

I'll hand Charlie some more salt and butter for his popcorn since he is enjoying the show.   Wink

0 217
 12-28-2021, 12:49 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Perhaps there was too much water too quickly in that last step?  Badger

20 5,867
 12-28-2021, 06:34 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Good thought but I made sure I literally wrung it out good so I did not introduce much water.  Will redo the same procedure tomorrow or next day with different badger brush.

0 217
 12-29-2021, 12:06 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
It is official in my book there is something wrong with that one badger brush.  How did I come to this final conclusion?

After many trials of changing up everything including but not limited to preshave, soap, brushes, razors, and even blades I stirred up a bowl of Tabac today as I have had too many shaves with Arko lately.  Used my M#####d brush that I previously put a fan badger knot in.  Long story short.. had a great 3-pass shave.  After finishing up I dampened my Simpson Super Badger brush and stirred it in the lather bowl and actually made a tad more lather.  I next dampened the problem brush and after only 1 stir the lather flattened.  I can't figure out what is wrong with that knot as I've cleaned it multiple times with a clarifying shampoo, dishwashing soap, and even vinegar/water mixed 50%/50% but I've had enough.  Probably start looking for a new synthetic knot for it. 

Box

0 217
 12-29-2021, 05:47 PM
User Info
Sounds like a knot that needs to be sacrificed to the wet shaving gods.

7 145
 12-29-2021, 07:14 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-29-2021, 05:47 PM)Spartan76 Wrote: Sounds like a knot that needs to be sacrificed to the wet shaving gods.

Signs011

20 5,867
 01-08-2022, 10:13 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Problem brush is no longer!!  Below is newly installed synthetic brush knot.  I should have ordered a 26mm knot but in my senior confusion at the time I ordered a 24mm knot by mistake.  When I got the knot and realized what I had done I was so frustrated with the brush, myself, and the whole world so I just installed it anyway.  Tried it out this morning and I am impressed.  The tips were so soft I was afraid there would not be any backbone to it.  Wrong!!  This is a lather making miracle brush now.  I likee!!

[Image: g1K1GJq.jpg]

0 217