12-28-2021, 06:26 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
It’s been a tough month. I had orthopedic surgery, and had a heck of a time shaving since I got home.

I had a little stool to sit on while I was at the sink. Limited energy or ability to use a brush and make lather, so I used a can of foam.

Limited ability to change a blade, so I used a disposable razor. Anyway, with my lack of control, I was best to stay clear of a DE or SE razor.

It’s been very slow, but I’m recovering. The first thing to go was the aerosol can of foam. Whew. Thank heavens. I am now able to use the scuttle and make some luxurious lather. Then, I put a great blade in my Wolfman, and carefully did a one-pass, and now I’m back to a 2-pass—or pretty close to a 2-pass.

I’m still using the stool a bit, but I think it will go soon.

It sure is nice to get back to enjoyable, fine wet shaving!

Anybody relate to this?

1 730
 12-28-2021, 09:03 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Yes, I can relate.  On those days when I don't feel well but haven't shaved in several days I will also use a stool at the sink to at least knock the beard down.  I hate going more than a day or two without shaving as I have very sensitive skin and shaving a longer beard can be very irritating for me.  I also usually use either Cremo or Barbasol 1919 as trying to whip up a lather would wear me out before I can even get to the shave.

I am very happy to hear you are on the mend and can again enjoy a wet shave.   Biggrin

0 214
 12-28-2021, 01:06 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
David, welcome back to great shaves! When I was recovering from knee surgery a good shave done comfortably was a simple pleasure I looked forward to every daySisi I hope you continue to get enjoyment from the little things. Bigger ones will follow Thumbsup

20 5,854
 12-28-2021, 04:16 PM
User Info
I broke my foot last year, and for 8 weeks was non-load bearing on that foot. I used a mid thigh height stool with a folded towel on top, the knee of my injured leg resting on it so I could stand with the other leg. The arrangement closely matched how I normally shaved, but standing primarily on one leg became pretty taxing after the first 10 minutes. Even though I shaved less frequently during that time, each shave was quite rewarding.

36 2,285
 12-28-2021, 07:40 PM
User Info
6 weeks ago I got an operation from my knee. Arthroscopic meniscus with 2 sutures. I couldn't stand on this leg for 3 weeks. Walked wilk walker to the bathroom. Bath on a stool. I had my shaves on one foot very quickly. So I choose an easy and simple set Rocca DE and fibre brush. Astra Platinum razor. MdC soap. 4711 AS. I shaved with the same gear for 3 weeks, in every 2-3 days interval. After a few times, you become so fast that shaving takes only 2-3 minutes. They were so comfortable and refreshing shaves. Now I can walk, almost %80 recovered, and returned to straight razor shaves.

Wish you a quick recovery, healthy&happy new year.

Greetings from İstanbul

SM-G965F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
[Image: dec7750db9faaebb0432cf05b6665496.jpg]

0 53
 12-28-2021, 07:53 PM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
Here's to your continued recovery David.  And to increasingly better shaves as you go.

0 682
 12-28-2021, 08:07 PM
User Info
David, best wishes for your continuing recovery.

60 11,494
 12-29-2021, 11:26 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(12-28-2021, 06:26 AM)David Wrote: It’s been a tough month.  I had orthopedic surgery, and had a heck of a time shaving since I got home.

I had a little stool to sit on while I was at the sink.  Limited energy or ability to use a brush and make lather, so I used a can of foam.

Limited ability to change a blade, so I used a disposable razor.  Anyway, with my lack of control, I was best to stay clear of a DE or SE razor.

It’s been very slow, but I’m recovering.  The first thing to go was the aerosol can of foam.  Whew.  Thank heavens.  I am now able to use the scuttle and make some luxurious lather.  Then, I put a great blade in my Wolfman, and carefully did a one-pass, and now I’m back to a 2-pass—or pretty close to a 2-pass.

I’m still using the stool a bit, but I think it will go soon.

It sure is nice to get back to enjoyable, fine wet shaving!

Anybody relate to this?

David, what was done? Yes, I can relate to this. I had surgery on my spine when I was 8, which led to more surgeries in my teens, this was before the minimumally invasive kind, and now its all gone sideways on me and things slowly get a little worse.  I've always been an everyday shaver but I have to skip a day now and then more and more often recently.

9 2,918
 12-30-2021, 04:17 PM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
I had a complete knee replacement.  

Sadly, with the virus, the hospital discharges you the same day as the surgery.  Not good.  The provincial standard is 2 days I think.  Fortunately, I had good care at home.

The full recovery is 3 months according to the surgeon.  I might be allowed to drive again in a few weeks, if all goes well.

Things are slowly getting better.  I no longer need a stool in the shower.  And, I can walk with just a cane, instead of a walker.

Interestingly, the 2 hour and 15 minute surgery is done mostly by a robot.  The surgeon of course is there to guide it.  And, a nerve block is used, instead of a general anesthetic.  Progress.

But, taking morphine for the pain in the first few days is bad news.  Then, going off of it, is also bad news.  But, it does reduce the post-op pain.

Anyway, I'm now enjoying wonderful shaves, hot towel and all, every single day.

1 730
 12-31-2021, 06:52 AM
  • Bax
User Info
Glad you're back to Better Shaves, David!
Hope your recovery continues quickly and uneventfully!
  :-)
- Bax

0 412
 12-31-2021, 08:26 AM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
I've been working on being more grateful.

Reading this thread has moved me a bit further in that direction.

Kudos and well wishes to each of you (and others) who have had "life" intrude into their shaving ritual.

71 2,043
 01-01-2022, 04:04 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(12-30-2021, 04:17 PM)David Wrote: I had a complete knee replacement.  

Sadly, with the virus, the hospital discharges you the same day as the surgery.  Not good.  The provincial standard is 2 days I think.  Fortunately, I had good care at home.

The full recovery is 3 months according to the surgeon.  I might be allowed to drive again in a few weeks, if all goes well.

Things are slowly getting better.  I no longer need a stool in the shower.  And, I can walk with just a cane, instead of a walker.

Interestingly, the 2 hour and 15 minute surgery is done mostly by a robot.  The surgeon of course is there to guide it.  And, a nerve block is used, instead of a general anesthetic.  Progress.

But, taking morphine for the pain in the first few days is bad news.  Then, going off of it, is also bad news.  But, it does reduce the post-op pain.

Anyway, I'm now enjoying wonderful shaves, hot towel and all, every single day.
Amazing what they can do now, and here's wishing you an equally amazing recovery.  Hang in there and stay positive.

9 2,918
 01-01-2022, 05:30 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
Thanks!  

I forgot to mention this machine.  If anyone is getting knee surgery, I highly recommend it.  https://gameready.com

(not sure if that link is allowed.  The company is called Gameready.)

The surgeon recommended it for the first 2 or 3 weeks.  It's highly effective at reducing pain.  I guess the cost of rental varies depending where you live, but here in Toronto it's $250/week.  Some health plans cover some or most of the cost.

The hospital puts one on the moment the surgery is finished and your leg is bandaged.  It stays on for the couple hours you're in recovery.

1 730