01-06-2022, 07:20 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
My wife and I went on a driving vacation from Connecticut to Fort Lauderdale. I was having a great vacation in southern Florida right up until my wife and I caught covid. We took the auto train down but decided to drive back after the appropriate quarantine period. We stopped in Jacksonville, FL  first, then pushed on to Fayetteville, NC , the next leg was Fredricksburg, VA. We arrived in Fredricksburg feeling fine. That evening the temp was 70 F but the wind was picking up. By morning it was 28 F and snowing but what's 3 inches of snow? So we got onto I95N without too much trouble but that's when the snow went from 3 to 8 inches in 90 minutes or so. I kept pushing ahead when traffic started moving and was at a bunch of trucks blocking the way. My wife asked a VDOT worker when these trucks would be moved out of the way. A VDOT worker told us to weave between and around the stuck trucks. The last thing he said was, "don't stop". I didn't. For the next 3 hours, I drove about 20mph on ice and snow around stuck trucks and down trees until we reached the Maryland House rest stop. With a tank full of gas and a belly full of coffee and sandwiches, we set out into the snow again. The roads were better and the snow was not causing the white out conditions we experienced in Virginia. A 5 hour drive took 11 hours but I got to sleep in my bed (after a hot dinner and a rather large bourbon) and not in my car trying to stay warm without causing carbon monoxide poisoning and yellow snow. I hope everyone else finally got home safe after being trapped by the weather while people were stuck on a frozen highway in freezing cars for up to 36 hours.

0 607
 01-06-2022, 10:56 AM
  • Bax
User Info
Glad you got back safely, instead of getting caught by the snow, ice, or road hazards.
Sounds like you had a real close shave!
(See how I brought that back to the shaving topic?)
  :-)
- Bax

0 530
 01-06-2022, 01:17 PM
User Info
You were fortunate that you were at least able to move slowly.  As you mention, some drivers were stranded in one place for up to 24-36 hours.  I've lived in Boston, New York and Washington, D.C.  Weather is one reason I live in Miami.

60 12,208
 01-06-2022, 01:51 PM
User Info
(01-06-2022, 07:20 AM)RyznRio Wrote: My wife and I went on a driving vacation from Connecticut to Fort Lauderdale. I was having a great vacation in southern Florida right up until my wife and I caught covid. We took the auto train down but decided to drive back after the appropriate quarantine period. We stopped in Jacksonville, FL  first, then pushed on to Fayetteville, NC , the next leg was Fredricksburg, VA. We arrived in Fredricksburg feeling fine. That evening the temp was 70 F but the wind was picking up. By morning it was 28 F and snowing but what's 3 inches of snow? So we got onto I95N without too much trouble but that's when the snow went from 3 to 8 inches in 90 minutes or so. I kept pushing ahead when traffic started moving and was at a bunch of trucks blocking the way. My wife asked a VDOT worker when these trucks would be moved out of the way. A VDOT worker told us to weave between and around the stuck trucks. The last thing he said was, "don't stop". I didn't. For the next 3 hours, I drove about 20mph on ice and snow around stuck trucks and down trees until we reached the Maryland House rest stop. With a tank full of gas and a belly full of coffee and sandwiches, we set out into the snow again. The roads were better and the snow was not causing the white out conditions we experienced in Virginia. A 5 hour drive took 11 hours but I got to sleep in my bed (after a hot dinner and a rather large bourbon) and not in my car trying to stay warm without causing carbon monoxide poisoning and yellow snow. I hope everyone else finally got home safe after being trapped by the weather while people were stuck on a frozen highway in freezing cars for up to 36 hours.

Glad you made it home safe. I live less than a mile from where this was happening on I-95. I followed the news closely. It is common sense to stay off the roads in the middle of a blizzard. Those who decide to ignore such advice do so at their peril.

233 1,403
 01-06-2022, 07:46 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
It sounds like quite an adventure, for sure. Glad you made it home safely! How are you and your wife feeling post covid?

22 6,874
 01-07-2022, 05:47 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(01-06-2022, 01:51 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 07:20 AM)RyznRio Wrote: My wife and I went on a driving vacation from Connecticut to Fort Lauderdale. I was having a great vacation in southern Florida right up until my wife and I caught covid. We took the auto train down but decided to drive back after the appropriate quarantine period. We stopped in Jacksonville, FL  first, then pushed on to Fayetteville, NC , the next leg was Fredricksburg, VA. We arrived in Fredricksburg feeling fine. That evening the temp was 70 F but the wind was picking up. By morning it was 28 F and snowing but what's 3 inches of snow? So we got onto I95N without too much trouble but that's when the snow went from 3 to 8 inches in 90 minutes or so. I kept pushing ahead when traffic started moving and was at a bunch of trucks blocking the way. My wife asked a VDOT worker when these trucks would be moved out of the way. A VDOT worker told us to weave between and around the stuck trucks. The last thing he said was, "don't stop". I didn't. For the next 3 hours, I drove about 20mph on ice and snow around stuck trucks and down trees until we reached the Maryland House rest stop. With a tank full of gas and a belly full of coffee and sandwiches, we set out into the snow again. The roads were better and the snow was not causing the white out conditions we experienced in Virginia. A 5 hour drive took 11 hours but I got to sleep in my bed (after a hot dinner and a rather large bourbon) and not in my car trying to stay warm without causing carbon monoxide poisoning and yellow snow. I hope everyone else finally got home safe after being trapped by the weather while people were stuck on a frozen highway in freezing cars for up to 36 hours.

Glad you made it home safe. I live less than a mile from where this was happening on I-95. I followed the news closely. It is common sense to stay off the roads in the middle of a blizzard. Those who decide to ignore such advice do so at their peril.
I listened closely to the weather report which at 8:30 am was 7 inches total ending shortly after noon. since about 3 to 4 inches was already on my car I wasn't anticipating white out conditions on I95. I also didn't expect the word blizzard to be used to describe the snowfall. Nothing so sharp as hindsight. Certainly, VDOT heard the same weather report that I heard because there were no plows or salt or sand used to clear I95 N or S. also the exit ramps were not cleared and there were many motorists who were stuck trying to exit the highway. My first inclination was to go back to the Marriott that I had just left. Unfortunately, that was impossible.

0 607
 01-07-2022, 06:06 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(01-06-2022, 07:46 PM)chazt Wrote: It sounds like quite an adventure, for sure. Glad you made it home safely! How are you and your wife feeling post covid?

I got full blown Omicron symptoms (fever, headache, body ache, nausea, sore throat, sinusitis) on Christmas but my wife tested positive a few days before. Her symptoms were milder than mine. I tested negative on a home test and at urgent care when we went to get a proper test after the home test showed my wife to be positive and me negative. The home test on Christmas eve showed me as positive. my first day was very bad. I still feel a bit foggy. (maybe a little PTSD from the drive?) We were fully vaxed but without a booster. Without that protection, I might be in the hospital now. I still have an occasional dry cough although I feel better each day.

Thanks for asking.

0 607