01-08-2022, 10:23 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
How many shaves do you go before deciding if a new/new-to-you razor works for you (i.e., your technique)?

Here’s why I ask. I’m still in the evaluation stage with a new aluminum razor. The first three shaves with it were unacceptable. I nearly posted it on BST after the third trial, but instead offered it as a backup to a forum friend who I know really enjoys his. He offered to trade but I wasn’t interested in another heavy razor. We made no deal. I should add that I’ve always valued this gentleman’s opinion on a myriad of products, and that’s why I went ahead and bought the razor in question. He’s never steered me wrong.

Well, over the course of another three shaves, the razor is beginning to grow on me. Next time out I will try it with a different handle. Maybe that will be the tipping point.

Thank you Shave Nook. I look forward to your replies and the discussion.

22 6,874
 01-08-2022, 10:41 AM
User Info
I have no sage advice for you, but my opinion is that it's rarely the tool that's the issue and most likely the way we use it. Now if you have no desire to adapt to the tool and would rather find something else, that is another matter.

After rereading the above statement it sounded rude and that was not my intention. I have trouble with the written word, no amount of punctuation can match tone and inflection of the spoken word. Blush

7 149
 01-08-2022, 12:02 PM
User Info
My experience is very limited.
Mechanical removal of stubble has many variables and the razor is only one of them. The OP suggests certainty that the culprit (for the unacceptable shaves) is the razor, at the beginning of the evaluation period, but that changed with time.

I shave every day and can say that not all razors work for me, regardless of technique. R41 took fewer shaves to determine that it is not my daily shaver. The aluminum razor I have can be my daily shaver and that was determined after a week or so. Maybe 3 or 4, consecutive shaves, using blades of three levels of sharpness, while maintaining all other terms constant. However, put a Feather blade in it and that changes. I no longer enjoy my shaves after several days.

In my opinion, razor/blade combination is one variable to be considered while evaluating the overall result of a shave. It would require at least three shaves to start narrowing down the factors. One shave with each blade at the ends of the sharpness spectrum and at median.

7 403
 01-08-2022, 01:45 PM
User Info
One to three shaves and if it doesn't work well for me, I don't keep it.  There are a lot of excellent razors available, and I just accept that they're not all optimal for me.

60 12,208
 01-08-2022, 01:57 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've learned it may take at least a couple three .. case in point for me was when I tried a GEM format razor for the first time decades after starting out with DE's & Injectors in the days pre-cart .. for some reason I had never seen a GEM until returning to traditional wetshaving circa 2009 or so ..  I read about how good the GEM was on a shaving forum, and right away fished a pretty nice Micromatic Open Comb out of the 'Bay for about 10 clams shipped.  The first two shaves didn't go well, I was happy with the DE/Injectors that were following me home all the time, and I put the SE GEM away for quite some time .. 

At some much later time I was curious and tried the MMOC again & Voila!  I skip around with razor formats constantly but the GEM is now a regular for me - 

So in my case it is 3 shaves or so ..

84 962
 01-09-2022, 05:36 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I think that at this point in my wet shave experience, it's 3 strikes, and your out. That is true of brushes razors blades and soap. If an aftershave splash or balm causes any irritation it is out without another try.

0 607
 01-09-2022, 06:11 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
“Three” seems to be the number most often mentioned so far. I’ve pretty much always been a ‘three strikes and you’re out’ evaluator. This time around I’m extending the trials. By another few weeks.

22 6,874
 01-09-2022, 06:33 AM
User Info
I think of the women I rejected after 1 date...this could get interesting

76 2,329
 01-09-2022, 07:14 AM
User Info
(01-09-2022, 06:33 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: I think of the women I rejected after 1 date...this could get interesting

Laughing1  

Nice one!

0 468
 01-09-2022, 11:09 AM
User Info
I give a new razor two weeks to prove itself... three if I'm on the fence.

That said, I've yet to meet a safety razor I couldn't get along with Smile

3 8,067
 01-12-2022, 07:49 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
I generally will keep coming back - assuming a good general reputation among other wet shavers. 

I had RAD at the beginning of my wet shaving journey, and had several purchases that I shelved, figuring I'd sell them later. 
Never did sell them - and trying them again now - I find many shave quite well.   Now try finding a backup Nickel plated Merkur 42C.  Smile

18 257
 01-13-2022, 09:43 AM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
A razor usually has a bigger cash output than soaps, brushes, etc.  So I would give it several more chances.  Swapping out blades, soaps and other possible variables.  Primarily blades though.  If after, oh say, a dozen honest tries, then I'd put it up for a month.  Then try again a half dozen times.  If still a stinker, then find it a home elsewhere.

0 876