01-14-2022, 08:03 AM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I just received a DE razor I've been hearing about since I started DE shaving. The very inexpensive plastic Wilkinson Sword. I was able to buy it from Italian Barber brand new on sale for $10 and that included a pack of 5 WS blades (not my favorite, but serviceable blades). For that price I had to try it. Well, I had my first shave with it yesterday. Blade was a Gillette Silver and the shave was excellent. It is a lightweight plastic razor and it most certainly feels like it. I am partial to heavier machinery. My all time favorite that stood the test of time and the one I have used the most in my over a decade old DE experience is Merkur Progress. It is by far the best and least fussy and most adjustable razor I ever used and I love it and it pretty much will not be displaced. My second is Rockwell 6S stainless steel monster truck of a razor. It's fallen to the second place, but was #1 for a while (#2 being Progress). At this point I prefer Progress because I am able to dial it between what Rockwell plate #1 and #2 would be. The infinitely adjustable Progress is unbeatable in dialing in the aggression level if you need one in between discreet settings of most adjustable razors. In any case, the Wilkinson plastic DE razor required a tiny amount more guidance (I don't want to say "pressure"), but otherwise provided a stellar shave. Again, it felt, well, inexpensive in hand. Like a plastic disposable, but it worked flawlessly. I also liked that the short sides of the DE blade are covered in this razor's head. It's a "luxurious" feature for an inexpensive razor. I love the fact that for $10 one can get in to a DE razor of this aptitude.

I wonder if anyone else has tried it and if so, what are the experiences with this thing. I love it, personally. But will stick with my metal razors for the most part as they just feel nicer to hold. However, if I need to take a razor to a place it may not come back from, well, this one is the one! It shaves great and is inexpensive.

28 1,811
 01-14-2022, 08:32 AM
  • Wolf
  • Valencia, Spain
User Info
I have it with the Lea brand, but it is the same, in my opinion it is a good economic razor, it is smooth shaving, I have not used it for a long time, when I bought it in its day it did not reach  4,00 €.

0 460
 01-14-2022, 12:55 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
You make a good point about this razor being a good travel razor that may not return home with you.  I probably will not be in that position as I am pretty much restricted to traveling by car but have wondered what to do if I were to fly.

0 212
 01-14-2022, 01:12 PM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-14-2022, 12:55 PM)Chappy Wrote: You make a good point about this razor being a good travel razor that may not return home with you.  I probably will not be in that position as I am pretty much restricted to traveling by car but have wondered what to do if I were to fly.

Right. Even on car trips I would rather bring a razor I don't mind loosing, but still shaves great. In any case, it's good to know that for $10 you cane buy a very good DE razor. I was not too impressed with all those cheap chinese TTO units. But that is because I am not a fan of TTW razors, even Gillette. Just don't like how they shave. Wilkinson razor shaves great, on the other hand.

28 1,811
 01-15-2022, 08:04 AM
User Info
The Wilkinson Sword Classic was the third or so razor I bought. Served me well for many years before I PIFed it to a fellow shaver some time back. It's a good razor, delivering more than the price tag suggest.

I've actually been toying with the idea of getting one for keeping at work - just in case.

3 7,833
 01-16-2022, 02:03 PM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-15-2022, 08:04 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: The Wilkinson Sword Classic was the third or so razor I bought. Served me well for many years before I PIFed it to a fellow shaver some time back. It's a good razor, delivering more than the price tag suggest.

I've actually been toying with the idea of getting one for keeping at work - just in case.

It would be a great razor to leave somewhere you may want to shave, but not always. Perfect shave, dirt cheap, what else is there to say?!

28 1,811
 01-16-2022, 11:50 PM
User Info
(01-16-2022, 02:03 PM)vferdman Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 08:04 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: The Wilkinson Sword Classic was the third or so razor I bought. Served me well for many years before I PIFed it to a fellow shaver some time back. It's a good razor, delivering more than the price tag suggest.

It would be a great razor to leave somewhere you may want to shave, but not always. Perfect shave, dirt cheap, what else is there to say?!

Would also a good razor for a on-the-spot PIF - coworker looking unshaven? Here, try this.

(I actually got a couple of Gillette Blue in my work stash just for that reason...)

3 7,833
 Yesterday, 07:34 AM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-16-2022, 11:50 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Would also a good razor for a on-the-spot PIF - coworker looking unshaven? Here, try this.

(I actually got a couple of Gillette Blue in my work stash just for that reason...)

Great idea!

28 1,811