01-14-2022, 08:16 AM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I recently tried a Supply razor. I like it a lot! I use #2 plate and their blades are fantastic, though they last about the same as my DE blades (I thought they would last longer). I have not seen much discussion of that razor, but I think it's pretty awesome. Very well made, minimalist and an excellent shaver. I am mostly a DE shaver, but I do have an older Schick injector that I rather like. However, the Pella blades I have for it are so-so and they are the best I've tried. Until Supply. The razor I received from Supply came preloaded with one of their blades and that was a problem. That blade was terrible! So bad was it that I contacted Supply and complained that their blades are terrible and are a rip-off. They replied back saying that I should try one of their new blades that came with the set and discard the one that came in the razor as those sometimes get damaged as they are inserted. Well, I followed their advice and was blown away by the fresh Supply SE blade. It was so much better than Pella. Smooth and sharp for at least 8 shaves. I think Supply are doing themselves a disservice by preloading the blades (and damaging the edge on them, evidently). That first impression was terrible. And it was totally due to a very bad decision to preload the first blade for the customer. I hope folks around here have tried this razor and those great blades of theirs. If, like myself, you had a disappointing experience with the preloaded blade, do yourself a favor and try a brand new blade from their pack. You will most likely be impressed. Again, I wonder why there is so little discussion about this razor on here. It's a good razor, well bade at a fairly ok price. I understand that the cheaper version is not stainless, but that is really not much of an issue, is it?

28 1,811
 01-14-2022, 08:55 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I’d considered the Supply razor at one time, but for as much as I use an injector razor, opted to stick with my old Schick type I.

Re: blades. I was under the impression that what folks refer to as “Pella” blades are simply Personna made blades which are wholesaled/distributed by the Ted Pella company, and that the new Supply blades are “different” only in the sense of the dispenser in which they are housed.

My local pharmacy carries the Chinese made Schick blades. They’re pretty good actually. I much prefer them to the Personna made blades. Recently, BullGoose added some Japanese made Schick branded blades. They are excellent. Sharp and smooth, and provide a very comfortable shave.

It’s odd that Supply would pre-install a blade prior to shipping. Perhaps based on your observation / comments, they’ll rethink that practice?

22 6,874
 01-14-2022, 09:24 AM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-14-2022, 08:55 AM)chazt Wrote: I’d considered the Supply razor at one time, but for as much as I use an injector razor, opted to stick with my old Schick type I.

Re: blades. I was under the impression that what folks refer to as “Pella” blades are simply Personna made blades which are wholesaled/distributed by the Ted Pella company, and that the new Supply blades are “different” only in the sense of the dispenser in which they are housed.

My local pharmacy carries the Chinese made Schick blades. They’re pretty good actually. I much prefer them to the Personna made blades. Recently, BullGoose added some Japanese made Schick branded blades. They are excellent. Sharp and smooth, and provide a very comfortable shave.

It’s odd that Supply would pre-install a blade prior to shipping. Perhaps based on your observation / comments, they’ll rethink that practice?

From my experience, Ted Pella blades and the new Supply blades are worlds apart. Now, I must qualify this by saying that the Pella blades I got over 5 years ago (not a huge SE user) and the Supply blades I got with my razor a few months ago. Maybe they are the same now, but my 5 year old Pella blades are no match to today's Supply blades. Again, I have no idea where Supply gets their blades, my data point is one Pella pack and one Supply pack that came with my razor. I will definitely be replacing my SE blades with Supply or perhaps will try those Japanese Schick blades I think those are probably amazing. But I feel like I need to finish that Pella pack too. And I shave with DE a lot! Though since acquiring the Supple razor, I have been using that much more than the Schick injector I have. It just feels much better and heavier and shaves really well (the Supply razor, that is).

28 1,811
 01-14-2022, 12:48 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
I personally have never tried the Supply razor or blades so really have no opinion on either.  I read several forums, YouTube, etc. and really haven't heard anything bad about this razor.  I just think for its' price point and features people just went a different route like I did.

If the razor works for you then I'm really glad to hear it and consider this a positive review for it.  Thanks for letting us know about the preloaded blade as it makes sense and I hadn't heard of it before.

0 331
 01-14-2022, 01:30 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I bought the original Supply back when they were first hawking it as a Kickstarter, 5 or 6 years back.  A good razor with the heavy plate, but their blades were just Pella's in the plastic injectors which are widely seen as fussy, if not problematic.  I have used that razor happily since then in a rather large rotation, with other than their house blades.  Supply recently introduced a new line of injector blades which I've reveiewed elsewhere.  They aren't good blades, and also suffer the problematic plastic injectors  The price is about the same as the Chicks but the Supply Blacks don't last as long.

So to the OP, I'm not dissing the razor (version #1 anyway) but their blades fall short in comparison with any of the alternatives ..

84 962
 01-14-2022, 01:42 PM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-14-2022, 01:30 PM)garyg Wrote: I bought the original Supply back when they were first hawking it as a Kickstarter, 5 or 6 years back.  A good razor with the heavy plate, but their blades were just Pella's in the plastic injectors which are widely seen as fussy, if not problematic.  I have used that razor happily since then in a rather large rotation, with other than their house blades.  Supply recently introduced a new line of injector blades which I've reveiewed elsewhere.  They aren't good blades, and also suffer the problematic plastic injectors  The price is about the same as the Chicks but the Supply Blacks don't last as long.

So to the OP, I'm not dissing the razor (version #1 anyway) but their blades fall short in comparison with any of the alternatives ..

Interesting observations. As I said above, the blade that came loaded into the razor (presumably to ease the new user's experience) was totally non-functional. Horrible, in fact. After discarding it and loading a new one with the plastic injector pack, I was duly impressed. Smooth and sharp for at least 8 shaves, I can eek 10 shaves out if one, but the first 6 shaves are stellar. Smooth and close. I will have to try some other injector blades. Pella pack I have is not excellent, but serviceable and lasts a long time. I tried it in the Supply razor and it was the same underwhelming experience I had with this blade in the Schick injector razor.

28 1,811
 05-10-2022, 01:31 AM
User Info
(01-14-2022, 01:42 PM)vferdman Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 01:30 PM)garyg Wrote: I bought the original Supply back when they were first hawking it as a Kickstarter, 5 or 6 years back.  A good razor with the heavy plate, but their blades were just Pella's in the plastic injectors which are widely seen as fussy, if not problematic.  I have used that razor happily since then in a rather large rotation, with other than their house blades.  Supply recently introduced a new line of injector blades which I've reveiewed elsewhere.  They aren't good blades, and also suffer the problematic plastic injectors  The price is about the same as the Chicks but the Supply Blacks don't last as long.

Interesting observations. As I said above, the blade that came loaded into the razor (presumably to ease the new user's experience) was totally non-functional. Horrible, in fact. After discarding it and loading a new one with the plastic injector pack, I was duly impressed. Smooth and sharp for at least 8 shaves, I can eek 10 shaves out if one, but the first 6 shaves are stellar. Smooth and close. I will have to try some other injector blades. Pella pack I have is not excellent, but serviceable and lasts a long time. I tried it in the Supply razor and it was the same underwhelming experience I had with this blade in the Schick injector razor.

I kickstarted a Supply razor and have used it for years alongside my vintage Schick injectors. Nice razor. Recently I bought an open comb "SE" plate for it. With the open comb, I find it still shaves me efficiently but it is literally impossible for me to nick myself with it. I think the new Supply SE design is brilliant!

The older Supply "white label" blades are made by Personna, same as the Ted Pellas and most non-Schick modern injector blades. However, in addition to being packaged in Supply's own all-plastic injector pack (which doesn't fall apart unlike the usual Personna white plastic containers with metal keys), Supply indicated that the blades were sharpened and coated to their own specifications. So I suspect Personna may tailor their blades to each large-scale customer's requirements. (Ted Pella, for example, markets its blades to the medical industry for things like slide specimen preparation rather than to injector razor shavers...)

The new Supply "black label" blades are made in Seki, Japan. I expect that means they are made by Feather, since it's the only Japanese razor blade manufacturer I know of and already makes its own line of SE artist club blades. I note that Feather DE blades have a reputation for being sharper than other DE blades but not lasting as long, so I wouldn't find it surprising if their new injector blades shared the same characteristics.

My own preference for blades is vintage U.S.-made Schick Plus Platinums. They are sharp, smooth, long-lasting and packaged in excellent all-metal holders. However, I also use modern Chinese-made Schicks, Personnas, and white label Supply. They are all fine. I am now trying a black label Supply. It seems fine too. Might have been a little sharper than normal on the first shave but nothing hugely noticeable, and it seems to be lasting about as long as any of the others. To be honest, I notice very little difference between any of them.

1 63
 05-13-2022, 07:35 PM
User Info

I have now tried a few shaves on my Black Label blade.  Today, on about the fourth shave, it was very tuggy on my upper lip and chin on the first pass on a short stubble.  Normally injector blades in the Supply razor don't do that to me until past about the tenth shave.  So I think I have to agree with you now about the Supply Blacks... Very disappointing...

1 63
 05-14-2022, 02:32 AM
User Info
Nothing against Supply in any way but I don't see spending the $ when I can get a Schick Injector for a lot less that does exactly the same thing.

156 4,284
 05-14-2022, 01:24 PM
User Info
(05-14-2022, 02:32 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Nothing against Supply in any way but I don't see spending the $ when I can get a Schick Injector for a lot less that does exactly the same thing.

I have Schick E, G and Hydromagics, a PAL adjustable, a new Parker adjustable, and the Supply.  (I like injectors.). You are right -- thay all work, including the cheap vintage Schick G's, so why buy the new ones?  Of course, a cheap vintage Gillette Tech also shaves perfectly well, so why would anyone buy a Merkur or a modern aluminum, brass, stainless steel or titanium DE razor for $50-200 instead? Wink

A few points to consider:

1.  The Supply injector (and the Parker) is marketed primarily for new shavers or current modern multi-blade cartridge users -- a new modern single-blade razor for people who are not into the wetshaving "scene" and may not even realize there IS one, complete with a market full of available vintage razors.  In other words, Supply's primary customers are shavers who very likely wouldn't even recognize a vintage Schick E, G or L if they tripped over it.

2.  The Supply shaves using an angle that is actually closer to the PAL than the Schicks.  A Schick user may not like the Supply, and vice versa.

3.  The Supply is by far the heaviest of all the readily available injector razors.  If you like having some heft to your razor, it's the one for you.

1 63
 05-14-2022, 02:29 PM
User Info
(05-14-2022, 01:24 PM)Screwtape Wrote:
(05-14-2022, 02:32 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Nothing against Supply in any way but I don't see spending the $ when I can get a Schick Injector for a lot less that does exactly the same thing.

I have Schick E, G and Hydromagics, a PAL adjustable, a new Parker adjustable, and the Supply.  (I like injectors.). You are right -- thay all work, including the cheap vintage Schick G's, so why buy the new ones?  Of course, a cheap vintage Gillette Tech also shaves perfectly well, so why would anyone buy a Merkur or a modern aluminum, brass, stainless steel or titanium DE razor for $50-200 instead? Wink

1.  The Supply injector (and the Parker) is marketed primarily for new shavers or current modern multi-blade cartridge users -- a new modern single-blade razor for people who are not into the wetshaving "scene" and may not even realize there IS one, complete with a market full of available vintage razors.  In other words, Supply's primary customers are shavers who very likely wouldn't even recognize a vintage Schick E, G or L if they tripped over it.

2.  The Supply shaves using an angle that is actually closer to the PAL than the Schicks.  A Schick user may not like the Supply, and vice versa.

3.  The Supply is by far the heaviest of all the readily available injector razors.  If you like having some heft to your razor, it's the one for you.

Don't get me wrong. I understand 100% what you're saying. That's just my personal feel on it as well as I'm sure a few others. It's nothing against Supply and I've owned one in the past. I personally prefer the feel of a Schick over a PAL. I to like Injectors and use them more than most having owned, or currently own, Type C, E, G, L, M, Hydromatic, PAL, Supply, etc.

I also have my share of DE (now mainly vintage) but have had my share of Wolfman, Blackbird, Karve, etc. I've just reached that point of no FOMO and understand I can achieve excellent shaves with only donating blood or semen and not selling a kidney.  Biggrin

156 4,284
 05-14-2022, 03:58 PM
User Info
(05-14-2022, 02:29 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:
(05-14-2022, 01:24 PM)Screwtape Wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I understand 100% what you're saying. That's just my personal feel on it as well as I'm sure a few others. It's nothing against Supply and I've owned one in the past. I personally prefer the feel of a Schick over a PAL. I to like Injectors and use them more than most having owned, or currently own, Type C, E, G, L, M, Hydromatic, PAL, Supply, etc.

I also have my share of DE (now mainly vintage) but have had my share of Wolfman, Blackbird, Karve, etc. I've just reached that point of no FOMO and understand I can achieve excellent shaves with only donating blood or semen and not selling a kidney.  Biggrin

Yes, after the Supply, my favorite injector is a Schick E2.  And for DEs, it's a modern Henson Medium followed by a Gillette Tech that used to belong to my father.  Most of my other razors, I could sell off without ever really missing them, including my other moderns and my Delta Echo refurbished and cerakoted set of Gillette adjustables...

1 63
 08-03-2022, 08:57 PM
User Info
(01-14-2022, 08:16 AM)vferdman Wrote: ...I think Supply are doing themselves a disservice by preloading the blades (and damaging the edge on them, evidently). That first impression was terrible...
Injectors always come with a preloaded blank of some sort. It keeps the spring from being damaged when you try to inject a new blade.

Supply messed up by not including a note saying "please discard the blade," or by just actually using a blank blade (unsharpened blade) or a discardable plastic or cardboard blank.

0 25
 08-04-2022, 03:27 AM
User Info
(08-03-2022, 08:57 PM)PLANofMAN Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 08:16 AM)vferdman Wrote: ...I think Supply are doing themselves a disservice by preloading the blades (and damaging the edge on them, evidently). That first impression was terrible...
Injectors always come with a preloaded blank of some sort. It keeps the spring from being damaged when you try to inject a new blade.

Supply messed up by not including a note saying "please discard the blade," or by just actually using a blank blade (unsharpened blade) or a discardable plastic or cardboard blank.

This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

0 539
 08-04-2022, 09:26 AM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
Yeah, they don't ship with a 'live' blade anymore.  They have a blank loaded now.

The new SE is OK - but you can buy that plate for your 2.0 from their site if you want to try it out without buying a whole new razor.  Same screw in mechanism.  
I find the SE a bit too mild for me, but I also find all Schick injectors after the E/G types too mild for me.  

The one that Supply got right IMO is the adjustable SE Pro.    
It's not stainless, but neither is a Merkur Progress, Mergress or Futur and nobody complains about those.  

I use the SE Pro the same way as a Progress - increasing exposure from about 2.5 to 4-ish as the passes go. 
There are lots of 'micro settings' so you're not limited to whole numbers.     

Downside to the Pro is it does require a key to load - there is no screw in mechanism.  
But I've been 'cross-loading' with Schick Proline Bs for my Schick E/G types for awhile now, and the Black line blades that now ship with their razors are more than decent - 
better than the older white blades, or 'Chick' blades in my opinion.

18 257
 08-06-2022, 08:02 AM
User Info
I recently got back into safety razor shaving and started with the Supply SE.  I was surprised at the quality of shave I was getting after years of cartridge razors.  Then I got curious.  Since I had no idea where to start, I bought a few razors reviewed as "mild", "mild to intermediate", and up to aggressive.  I've finally landed on a Timeless 0.95 and a Charcoal Level 3 I use every day.   I'd rate the Supply SE as an intermediate, and very easy to use.  I'm keeping the Supply SE as my travel razor.  Incidentally, my SE was shipped with a cardboard razor insert.

0 24
 08-06-2022, 09:24 AM
  • Bax
User Info
Having no Earthly idea what a "Supply Razor" was, I had to google it.
Here's a pic of a Supply SE, for those of you who (like me) need pictures...
[Image: ZGfVOvs.jpg]
Near as I can tell, these sell for around $60 (US).
  :-)
- Bax

0 530
 08-06-2022, 09:44 AM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
(08-06-2022, 09:24 AM)Bax Wrote: Having no Earthly idea what a "Supply Razor" was, I had to google it.
Here's a pic of a Supply SE, for those of you who (like me) need pictures...
[Image: ZGfVOvs.jpg]
Near as I can tell, these sell for around $60 (US).
  :-)
- Bax

Yep - that's the SE.  It's fine - and likely an improvement for those looking for a 'mild' performer than the Original 2.0.  There are no 'multiple' plates available.  One plate.  
The trick with the SE is - if you see 'tracks' in the lather left by the 'fins', your angle is too low and you need to raise the handle away from your face more.  You should not see 'tracks'. 
Kind of a neat 'indicator' for finding the angle.  

I prefer the 'SE Pro' - which will set you back $89 (US).

18 257
 08-06-2022, 10:24 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
The Supply razor has switched materials since I purchased my version 1, which was stainless steel (maybe even machined but I can't recall) to as Bax's photo shows so-called "solid metal" which I take as code for a "zamac" which gets chrome or some other finish applied on top.  Some folks have less confidence in the coated zamac implements, but I've only ever had one failure with the material in a razor (not Supply's).    Other nice razors using the material are the Merkurs & Edwin Jaggers .. which are priced similarly or maybe just a hair less than Supply.  To get real stainless steel in an injector format though you need to step up to the Asylum

84 962
 08-07-2022, 06:47 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-06-2022, 08:02 AM)Barry Wrote: I recently got back into safety razor shaving and started with the Supply SE.  I was surprised at the quality of shave I was getting after years of cartridge razors.  Then I got curious.  Since I had no idea where to start, I bought a few razors reviewed as "mild", "mild to intermediate", and up to aggressive.  I've finally landed on a Timeless 0.95 and a Charcoal Level 3 I use every day.   I'd rate the Supply SE as an intermediate, and very easy to use.  I'm keeping the Supply SE as my travel razor.  Incidentally, my SE was shipped with a cardboard razor insert.

Barry, welcome to the Shave Nook. When you have a moment, please post in the introductions sub forum for a proper how do you do from the members Smile

22 6,874