01-15-2022, 10:51 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
Much to my amazement, I'm running low on blades. Didn't think that day would actually occur.

So, time to order more.

I love my 7 o'clocks (as part of the rotation). I see the yellow box of 100 is around $22 (US) and the Super Platinums are about $50 (US). Both are stainless steel coated in platinum.

I have the green box at the moment. Not sure what I paid since it's been many years since I purchased it.

Anyone know the difference between the yellow box and the Super Platinums?

1 726
 01-15-2022, 01:17 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I’ve never seen ad copy for the Yellows that indicate any kind of coating, platinum or otherwise. Maybe they just make more of the Yellows than the other labels, and that helps to keep the price down? I doubt it’s that simple.

20 5,827
 01-15-2022, 05:28 PM
User Info
Interesting. I have never seen anywhere posted any reliable information regarding coating for a Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge.

Looking at a post on another forum showing images and composition of various blades under a SEM, I believe these blades are PTFE coated only.
I might be wrong.

Anyway, apart from the obvious difference (Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum is twice as expensive as Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge), not much between the two. In my opinion the yellows are a tad sharper than the blacks, but the blacks last longer. Definitely not twice the longevity of a yellow.

7 380