02-22-2022, 08:46 AM
User Info
I started out doing the traditional 3 pass shave and somewhere along the line I switched to 2 passes and thought I was getting the same shave. I believe I was, but it required a lot of clean up. I realized if I was doing all this, I may as well do three passes. Or, in my case, 2.5. The reason it is 2.5 is I only do 2 passes on my neck. Both are also XTG. I can't shave well WTG because of my arthritic wrist, and I can shave ATG but it generally doesn't agree with me. A bit harsh. It's been a while so I may try again and see. So basically I have been doing the 3 passes on my face/cheeks and 2 on my neck. This combined with my improved lathering technique has worked out really well for a great, super close shave. My neck comes out well, but if you go ATG you can feel it. Not the case on my face. Smooth like ice.

5 926
 02-22-2022, 09:22 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Ice is nice, Mike. Real nice. If it makes you feel good then it’s a beautiful thing! I do my own version of 2 1/2 pass shave, but since I only lather twice in my mind it’s only a two pass shave. My first pass is WTG everywhere and then taking advantage of residual slickness, XTG on my cheeks. Lather again, then ATG on cheeks and XTG on neck. DFS to BBS everywhere and no irritation.

22 6,243
 02-22-2022, 03:52 PM
User Info
(02-22-2022, 09:22 AM)chazt Wrote: Ice is nice, Mike. Real nice. If it makes you feel good then it’s a beautiful thing! I do my own version of 2 1/2 pass shave, but since I only lather twice in my mind it’s only a two pass shave. My first pass is WTG everywhere and then taking advantage of residual slickness, XTG on my cheeks. Lather again, then ATG on cheeks and XTG on neck. DFS to BBS everywhere and no irritation.

I like ice. Haha!!! Yes, I get DFS as it were on my neck and BBS on my face/cheeks. Residual slickness is always good. I always use it on touch ups.

5 926
 02-22-2022, 07:36 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
I have also gone to the 2-pass shave (WTG and XTG) but use lather on my fingertips for any clean up just enough to get DFS.  Quit even worrying about BBS anymore.  Doing this I can even get away with some of my more aggressive razors I was thinking of selling.  ?

0 269
 02-22-2022, 08:33 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-22-2022, 07:36 PM)Chappy Wrote: I have also gone to the 2-pass shave (WTG and XTG) but use lather on my fingertips for any clean up just enough to get DFS.  Quit even worrying about BBS anymore.  Doing this I can even get away with some of my more aggressive razors I was thinking of selling.  ?

Yes! There’s many benefits to a 2 pass shave. The biggies for me are 33% less of a chance for irritation, and more to shave tomorrow Smile

22 6,243
 02-23-2022, 05:05 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Funny that I've also noticed straggler whiskers I missed sometimes disappear after about 30 minutes following a shave.  Must be pulling whiskers before actually cutting them?

0 269
 02-24-2022, 01:19 PM
User Info
Oh, yeah. And 2 passes under the nose area. This is a problem area for me lately. I can get nicked easily and tend to miss quite a bit of hair though it doesn't seem it at the time. And in spite of a face wash prior, it always seems to be a tugging/pulling feeling there as if it was still dry. Working on it.

5 926
 02-24-2022, 01:56 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Shaving under the nose and around the mouth is a whole different set of muscle skills compared to everywhere else on the face, jawline (including chin) and neck. You really have to pull and twist the ol’ schnoz and find the right angle with the razor, which is clearly a bit different for each razor. And shaver. But yeah, under the nose area’s a bear for sure. Shaving atg there has been called “the fool’s pass.”  Nono

22 6,243
 02-24-2022, 02:26 PM
User Info
(02-24-2022, 01:56 PM)chazt Wrote: Shaving under the nose and around the mouth is a whole different set of muscle skills compared to everywhere else on the face, jawline (including chin) and neck. You really have to pull and twist the ol’ schnoz and find the right angle with the razor, which is clearly a bit different for each razor. And shaver. But yeah, under the nose area’s a bear for sure. Shaving atg there has been called “the fool’s pass.”  Nono

It really is different. I do have some razors that do well in that area. I never go ATG under there. I generally go WTG and WTG on an angle. I can get very smooth under there, just sometimes miss spots just under or just to the side of the nose. It's a bit of a mixed bag.

5 926
 02-26-2022, 05:25 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(02-23-2022, 05:05 AM)Chappy Wrote: Funny that I've also noticed straggler whiskers I missed sometimes disappear after about 30 minutes following a shave.  Must be pulling whiskers before actually cutting them?

The biggest myth in wet shaving is that you use shaving soap to soften your whiskers. In reality, the soap's job is to hold water at the skin level to make the blade glide across a slick surface (hydroplaning) while stiffening the whiskers so that when the blade gets to the hair the whisker doesn't flop and a sharp blade can make a clean cut in the direction of the shaving stroke. Since whiskers grow in patterns we all start out with the admonition to map the beard and why it takes 2 or 3 passes with a little buffing to get a smooth Hollywood face. It takes about 30 minutes for the stiffened hair to relax and find its place at skin level allowing the face to become smooth. If you take a few layers of skin to get that "straggler stubble" you have the dreaded irritation that we all work to avoid. Carts with several layers of blades pull the hair and can cut a whisker below the skin line without taking off any skin. Good theory but dangerous results as you will eventually get ingrown hairs as whiskers are trapped under the skin surface where they grow and cause infection.

0 578
 02-26-2022, 09:24 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
(02-26-2022, 05:25 AM)RyznRio Wrote: The biggest myth in wet shaving is that you use shaving soap to soften your whiskers. In reality, the soap's job is to hold water at the skin level to make the blade glide across a slick surface (hydroplaning) while stiffening the whiskers so that when the blade gets to the hair the whisker doesn't flop and a sharp blade can make a clean cut in the direction of the shaving stroke. Since whiskers grow in patterns we all start out with the admonition to map the beard and why it takes 2 or 3 passes with a little buffing to get a smooth Hollywood face. It takes about 30 minutes for the stiffened hair to relax and find its place at skin level allowing the face to become smooth. If you take a few layers of skin to get that "straggler stubble" you have the dreaded irritation that we all work to avoid. Carts with several layers of blades pull the hair and can cut a whisker below the skin line without taking off any skin. Good theory but dangerous results as you will eventually get ingrown hairs as whiskers are trapped under the skin surface where they grow and cause infection.

Yep.  Also funny is I haven't gotten any ingrown hairs but I do get pimples like a teenager sometimes.  Haven't had pimples like forever.  Has to be from the more aggressive razors so am working on it.

0 269
 02-26-2022, 01:59 PM
User Info
(02-26-2022, 05:25 AM)RyznRio Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 05:05 AM)Chappy Wrote: Funny that I've also noticed straggler whiskers I missed sometimes disappear after about 30 minutes following a shave.  Must be pulling whiskers before actually cutting them?

The biggest myth in wet shaving is that you use shaving soap to soften your whiskers. In reality, the soap's job is to hold water at the skin level to make the blade glide across a slick surface (hydroplaning) while stiffening the whiskers so that when the blade gets to the hair the whisker doesn't flop and a sharp blade can make a clean cut in the direction of the shaving stroke. Since whiskers grow in patterns we all start out with the admonition to map the beard and why it takes 2 or 3 passes with a little buffing to get a smooth Hollywood face. It takes about 30 minutes for the stiffened hair to relax and find its place at skin level allowing the face to become smooth. If you take a few layers of skin to get that "straggler stubble" you have the dreaded irritation that we all work to avoid. Carts with several layers of blades pull the hair and can cut a whisker below the skin line without taking off any skin. Good theory but dangerous results as you will eventually get ingrown hairs as whiskers are trapped under the skin surface where they grow and cause infection.
Maybe that explains why I feel BBS sometimes than a little bit later I can feel a spot here and there that I missed. But that was with 2 passes and touch ups. With my 3 passes on the cheek/face area it hasn't happened.

5 926