10-08-2012, 11:03 AM
User Info
As fall is here, I have been working on a Christmas list for family, and surprise .... it's all shaving related!

I sent an e-mail to Bernd at Shavemac inquiring about pricing on a couple of his Nobel line brushes (preferred in a D01 knot) and what the price is to the US excluding VAT.

Bernd replied he charges the same price to everyone whether or not a VAT is required as it is just easier. On any other European web shopping site there are prices with VAT and without for those shipping to countries who do not have the VAT.

So my question is, does anyone know of any Shavemac resellers who carry a pretty extensive selection of Shavemacs? I paid full price (the 15% surcharge) for my one and only Shavemac, but I am not willing to pay it again on $200 brushes.

129 6,685
 10-08-2012, 11:13 AM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
Hi Doug, have you checked out royalshave yet? They only have nine available, but they're beautiful!

11 366
 10-08-2012, 11:16 AM
User Info
Yeah, I saw RoyalShave's. I'm looking for the Nobel line (the wood ones). I only found one other reseller (Highland Men's Care) but they sell them for more than Shavemac themselves.

129 6,685
 10-08-2012, 11:57 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Have you asked Phil if he can get them with his Shavemac orders?

173 23,505
 10-08-2012, 12:04 PM
User Info
OMG ...... PHIL !!!!!!

Yes, that is a good idea. Thanks Johnny.

129 6,685
 10-08-2012, 03:26 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-08-2012, 11:03 AM)wingdo Wrote: As fall is here, I have been working on a Christmas list for family, and surprise .... it's all shaving related!

I sent an e-mail to Bernd at Shavemac inquiring about pricing on a couple of his Nobel line brushes (preferred in a D01 knot) and what the price is to the US excluding VAT.

Bernd replied he charges the same price to everyone whether or not a VAT is required as it is just easier. On any other European web shopping site there are prices with VAT and without for those shipping to countries who do not have the VAT.

So my question is, does anyone know of any Shavemac resellers who carry a pretty extensive selection of Shavemacs? I paid full price (the 15% surcharge) for my one and only Shavemac, but I am not willing to pay it again on $200 brushes.

Wow..is that even legal? The least he could do if he doesn't want to "deal with it" is provide free shipping to non-EU orders so they can recoup some of the loss. Dodgy

31 1,510
 10-08-2012, 03:30 PM
User Info
(10-08-2012, 03:26 PM)Arcadies Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 11:03 AM)wingdo Wrote: As fall is here, I have been working on a Christmas list for family, and surprise .... it's all shaving related!

Wow..is that even legal? The least he could do if he doesn't want to "deal with it" is provide free shipping to non-EU orders so they can recoup some of the loss. Dodgy

Charging the same price is perfectly legal. The consumer gets the pointy end of the shaft, but they're free to purchase something else.

9 2,988
 10-08-2012, 03:48 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-08-2012, 03:30 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 03:26 PM)Arcadies Wrote:

Charging the same price is perfectly legal. The consumer gets the pointy end of the shaft, but they're free to purchase something else.

Ah, I see. Well, legal or not it smells of asshattery to me. I've never purchased a Shavemac and have recently been considering one, but if that is the owner's stance on something that could save a large portion of his customer base a considerable amount of cash, then I don't think I want one.

31 1,510
 10-08-2012, 03:57 PM
User Info
Has not stopped me from getting one, though I agree it would be nice if he would differentiate...the brushes are worth every penny though...

31 1,554
 10-08-2012, 03:57 PM
User Info
(10-08-2012, 03:48 PM)Arcadies Wrote: Ah, I see. Well, legal or not it smells of asshattery to me. I've never purchased a Shavemac and have recently been considering one, but if that is the owner's stance on something that could save a large portion of his customer base a considerable amount of cash, then I don't think I want one.

I cannot disagree with that statement.

9 2,988
 10-08-2012, 04:42 PM
User Info
Thanks for the information, gents. i had no idea.

75 20,883
 10-08-2012, 05:58 PM
User Info
Rudy Vey makes custom handles and then mounts Shavemac knots in them. I don't know what the handle of the Nobel line looks like but I'd be surprised if he couldn't mimic it.

3 147
 10-08-2012, 07:21 PM
User Info
(10-08-2012, 05:58 PM)Malacoda Wrote: Rudy Vey makes custom handles and then mounts Shavemac knots in them. I don't know what the handle of the Nobel line looks like but I'd be surprised if he couldn't mimic it.

I'd be surprised if the price was less.

9 2,988
 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I had no idea Bernd did this. So he pockets the VAT on his non-EU customers? And people are complaining about the new Simpson MAP?

43 1,690
 10-09-2012, 03:58 PM
User Info
(10-08-2012, 08:03 PM)Andrew Wrote: I had no idea Bernd did this. So he pockets the VAT on his non-EU customers? And people are complaining about the new Simpson MAP?

So does Peter/Fido, no one has been complaining about that either.

9 2,988
 10-09-2012, 11:03 PM
User Info
(10-09-2012, 03:58 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 08:03 PM)Andrew Wrote: I had no idea Bernd did this. So he pockets the VAT on his non-EU customers? And people are complaining about the new Simpson MAP?

Peter isn't VAT registered Lee so he isn't claiming any back or gaining in anyway. He's too much of a small operation to fall in the VAT registration threshold from what I understand.

7 1,179
 10-10-2012, 07:09 AM
User Info
(10-09-2012, 11:03 PM)Dipesh Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 03:58 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:

Peter isn't VAT registered Lee so he isn't claiming any back or gaining in anyway. He's too much of a small operation to fall in the VAT registration threshold from what I understand.

Also Peters prices include world wide shipping and package costs. So what you see is what you pay.

3 198
 10-10-2012, 08:04 AM
User Info
Hmm! Shipping costs from Shavemac have been 30% lower compared to what Simpsons charged me for shipping my brush from the UK. Also, I've never paid duties on the brushes I've received from Bernd as opposed to the 25% customs brokerage fees I paid for my Simpsons LE which, after adding $25 shipping, brought the price to $215 for a Colonel in Super. Also, when I order from Bernd, I ask for a total. I don't care if he includes any VAT or other taxes. To me, it's a final price I have to deal with, and can decide to accept it or not. The same applies to ordering a custom M&F brush from Lee. There's no hidden cost for me like in the example with the duty fees. It's all inclusive. I can accept a given total price or not. It's easier that way for me. Maybe, it's important to vendors to know if they pay taxes, but my wallet cares about what I pay as shown on the bottom line of the invoice, and if this amount seems fair or not to me. I also didn't complain when I bought a VL 2-band when G&C didn't offer VAT deduction yet, and I paid $120 for it. The same brush is $85 now, and I've sold mine for $60. It was my choice to agree with the final price at the time, and I paid for it. So, I paid $215 for a Simpsons brush, and had hard time selling it for $140 including shipping. For comparison, I can easily sell a custom Shavemac D01 for $120, the same brush which costs $150 total (with or without VAT, I don't know). What do you think, what price should my wallet worry about, and if it should care whether the VAT is included?

2 180
 10-10-2012, 08:47 AM
User Info
Wow, this has TOTALLY gotten off track from my question. All I asked was if anyone knows of a reseller who carries a large percentage of the Shavemac line so I can avoid paying a 15% European VAT which I should not have to pay. I am well aware that it's my choice whether to eat this charge or not. I ate it once, but choose to not have to eat it again.

I've bought plenty of brushes from the UK and EU and never except for Shavemac have I paid the same price as someone living in Europe. I understand that shipping etc to the US costs extra money, but that extra is included in the shipping charge. Basically you're paying more to have it shipped to the US, and in addition paying the VAT.

And in response to Edgerunner, at what point does paying an extra 15% than you have to start to matter? To me, when the brushes I am having quoted by Bernd are in the 230-390 range, it makes a difference. That's $40 - $60 more per brush than I should have to pay. So yes, if I can find a reseller who won't charge me the VAT it does matter. If I cannot find a better price, then it is indeed up to my wallet to decide.

And no, I've not found anyone cheaper to deal with than straight from Bernd. So it's up to me and my wallet to decide how badly I want a couple D01 brushes.

129 6,685
 10-10-2012, 08:57 AM
User Info
Bernd may shy away from any extra bureaucratic effort to manage overseas billing separately. If this becomes business critical for him, he may change his practice. In the meantime you can choose to buy from him or not.
That's it...

31 1,554