03-04-2022, 03:44 AM
User Info
So I was browsing Digitalmuseet again, and found an interesting photo. Interesting to me at least, both due to the subject, the context and current happenings.

[Image: last-ned-1536x805.png]

The photo was titled “Brigadesoldater barberer seg”, which translates to “Soldiers of the Brigade shaving”. The brigade in question was the so called Tysklandsbrigaden – the German Brigade. And despite what you might think when hearing the name, it wasn’t a German brigade, but rather a Norwegian Brigade in Germany. Known formally as the “Independent Norwegian Brigade Group in Germany“, it was a Norwegian expeditionary force stationed in the British Zone of Occupation in Germany, from 1946 to 1953.
Sending an expeditionary force to take part in the Allied Occupation of Germany was costly, double so since we were busy trying to rebuild after the Nazi occupation and ravaging of Norway. But it was considered too important not to do. It was done in order to honour previous agreements, to gain valuable experience, and to help secure the hard won peace.
Some googling have not revealed what – if any – razors were standard issue for the men, but the unit was equipped with British materiel and supplied through the British Army. It stands to reason that the shave gear, unless brought from home, were British too.
All in all more than 50.000 Norwegians served in the Brigade Group. Which is a lot, when you consider than in 1946 – when the force was established – Norway had a mere 3.12 million inhabitants.

3 7,942
 03-04-2022, 06:21 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Hans, this is a very interesting post. Thanks again for the education Wink

If my calculations were done correctly, The Brigade was ~1.6% of Norway’s total population. You gotta love Norwegians!

22 6,243
 03-04-2022, 08:01 AM
User Info
(03-04-2022, 06:21 AM)chazt Wrote: Hans, this is a very interesting post. Thanks again for the education Wink

If my calculations were done correctly, The Brigade was ~1.6% of Norway’s total population. You gotta love Norwegians!

Four thousand at a time... but yes, a significant part of the male population served in the Brigade.

3 7,942
 03-04-2022, 09:02 AM
  • Bax
User Info
Interesting link, too!
They needed ammo and were issued condoms.
Politicians never change...
  :-)
- Bax

0 443
 03-06-2022, 08:37 PM
User Info
I understand that approximately 1% of the eligible American population has the honor to wear the uniform. Not too far from the 1.6% cited above. Thanks for the education, Hans.

17 395
 03-07-2022, 07:39 AM
  • Bax
User Info
Interesting statistic, Craig!  (approximately 1% of the eligible American population" is a veteran)

At  truck stop on the highway recently, I saw about a dozen loud motorcycles pull in.  The riders looked pretty disreputable, several with pretty rotten teeth and all with greasy long hair.  They were all wearing black leather jackets and were covered in tattoos.  Every other word they spoke to each other in the truck stop was an F-bomb.  The ones who walked by me really needed showers.  They  all had the same huge patch on their backs, and on the front of their vests, all in the same spot, they wore a little patch that said "One Percenter."  Did that mean they were all war veterans?  If so, they sure went downhill after separating from the service...
- Bax

0 443
 03-07-2022, 10:26 AM
User Info
(03-07-2022, 07:39 AM)Bax Wrote: Interesting statistic, Craig!  (approximately 1% of the eligible American population" is a veteran)

At  truck stop on the highway recently, I saw about a dozen loud motorcycles pull in.  The riders looked pretty disreputable, several with pretty rotten teeth and all with greasy long hair.  They were all wearing black leather jackets and were covered in tattoos.  Every other word they spoke to each other in the truck stop was an F-bomb.  The ones who walked by me really needed showers.  They  all had the same huge patch on their backs, and on the front of their vests, all in the same spot, they wore a little patch that said "One Percenter."  Did that mean they were all war veterans?  If so, they sure went downhill after separating from the service...
- Bax

Bax, I'm going to guess this is a serious question in regards to the1% bikers. Those bikers who identify as one percenters are or wish to be "outlaw" bikers (think Hell's Angels, Mongols, etc.). From your description I'm going to guess they were the real deal. The one percent comes from an estimate (years ago by someone in law enforcement - if I remember correctly) as to the percentage of motorcyclists who are involved in criminal activity. So it's 1% of motorcyclists not population. Not sure how many motorcyclists there are, but there are about 8.5 million bikes registered in the US.

1 158