03-12-2022, 06:00 PM
User Info
In the past I found an artisan who made a fantastic solid shampoo bar, though I did have to do an apple-vinegar rinse afterwards. Unfortunately, that shop closed up, and I gave up on shampoo bars for a few years. Recently when I was running low on liquid shampoo I found some new solid options - two of which I’ll highlight here, neither of which require an acidic rinse aftwards.

Hibar solid shampoo and conditioner bars receive praise for the post-wash feel (clean, light, just as good as liquid versions). I purchased a 3.2oz shampoo and matching conditioner bar - which I was surprised to find are available direct from the manufacturer, from the largest online retailer that sells everything, and even from a nationally known outdoors & recreation store (as in - available IN the physical store). The 3.2oz size seems very small just out of the package, but the shape makes them super easy to use. The price is generally $12.95 for a 3.2oz bar - and the shampoo & conditioner bars are generally priced the same (but might be found for a couple of dollars cheaper when bought as a set). I purchased the “moisturize” option which is scented in a clean but mild profile (think 3 out of 10 on strength).

Solid shampoo bars can struggle to generate lather - though hibar did an adequate job and didn’t require me to stand there for 8 minutes rubbing it into my noggin. It thoroughly cleaned my hair without overly stripping it. The conditioner was a welcome surprise - as it generated a lot of slickness and felt very similar to liquid conditioner in my hair. After rinsing and drying - I was blown away by how great my hair felt - it was exactly like I used a mid/high-tier liquid set. No residue, and I couldn’t even tell that I used the solid shampoo & conditioner while looking at the solid bars afterwards. For many solid options it can take a few washes for your hair to acclimatize. That wasn’t the case here; my hair felt great after the first use. 

Hibar is an easy recommendation. I’m going to slice off a bit of the shampoo & conditioner for my travel kit, and continue using the rest at home.

Shampoo Ingredients: 
Sulfate-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, silicone-free, vegan
Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate (Coconut Oil*), Cetearyl Alcohol (Vegetable Based*), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Stearic Acid (Vegetable Based*), Behentrimonium Methosulfate (Vegetable Based*), Polyquaternium 7, DL Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Cetyl Alcohol (Vegetable Based*), Hydrolyzed Rice Protein,  Natural Fragrance (Lime Peel Oil, Orange Peel Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, Grapefruit Peel Oil, Ginger Root Oil), Glyceryl Stearate (Vegetable Based*), Propanediol (Vegetable Based*), Diglycerin, Polyglyceryl-2 Laurate, Mineral Pigment CI 77007. (*Derived Source)

Conditioner Ingredients: 
Sulfate-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, silicone-free, vegan
Cetearyl Alcohol (Vegetable Based*), Behentrimonium Methosulfate, (Vegetable Based*), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Stearyl Alcohol (Coconut Oil*), Cetearyl Alcohol (Vegetable Based*), Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Coconut Oil & Glycerin*), DL Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Hydrogenated Ethylhexyl Olivate, Hydrogenated Olive Oil Unsaponifiables, Glyceryl Stearate (Vegetable Based*), Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Natural Fragrance (Lime Peel Oil, Orange Peel Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, Grapefruit Peel Oil, Ginger Root Oil), Diglycerin, Polyglyceryl-2 Laurate, Mineral Pigment CI 77510, CI 77891, Mica. (*Derived Source)

[Image: hibar-moisturize-hibar-shampoo-conditioner-bars.jpg]

36 2,308
 03-12-2022, 06:02 PM
User Info
Bar-None, out of Australia, generally gets very high marks on reviews. The 3.52oz bars sell for $12 each, but they ship directly from the manufacturer in Australia. To the USA, my shipping was an additional $10. However, I used the coupon-code BARNONE20 for 20% off my total order. Total cost is about the same as HiBar. 

It took a couple of weeks to receive my shipment from Australia, which given all that’s going on globally is faster than expected. The shampoo and conditioner bars feel larger than than their stated size. The shampoo bar is a chalky-white color, with the conditioner being a tan-ish color… thus very easy to differentiate. Both take a bit more work to get into my hair, but nothing longer than 60 seconds. The shampoo never feels as soapy-slick as I’d expect, and the conditioner never felt super-slick like most bottled versions. Both feel more neutral than traditional offerings, and that extends to the very subtle coconut scent (think 1 out of 10 on strength - I could barely detect it, and only sometimes). I’d call this makers offerings very neutral - akin to scentless shaving soap. With that in mind, I think many people would actually prefer it. Post-shower feel was very good; soft and clean - but without added body. 

I actually quite like Bar None’s shampoo & conditioner combination. The post-wash feel wasn’t as as nice as as Hi-Bar, but with it’s neutral scent and performance - I think many would prefer it over other options. I can see why it’s so popular. 

Shampoo Ingredients:

No SLS, paraben-free, phthalate-free, vegan
Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Glycerin, Purified Water, Behentrimonium, Fragrance, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa Seed) Butter, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Olea Europea (Olive) Fruit Oil, PPG-10 Methyl Glucose Ether, Paraffinum Liquidum, Coco Betane, CI 77891.

Conditioner Ingredients:
No SLS, paraben-free, phthalate-free, vegan
Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Fragrance, Dehydroacetic Acid.

[Image: Bar+None+Shampoo+%2B+Conditioner+%281%29.jpg]

36 2,308
 03-30-2022, 03:35 PM
User Info
Just as I updated the bar-none post, I saw that Saponificio Varesino has released some shampoo bars

Restorative

Ingredients: Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Rapeseedate, Sodium Sunflower Seedate, Aqua (Water), Polyglyceryl-4 Laurate, Adansonia Digitata Seed Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Glycerin, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate

Delicato
Ingredients: Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Rapeseedate, Sodium Sunflower Seedate, Aqua (Water), Polyglyceryl-4 Laurate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Gardenia Taitensis Flower, Tocopherol, Plumeria Alba Flower Extract, Plumeria Rubra  Flower Extract, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract , Glycerin, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate

[Image: o7NEnRy.jpg]

36 2,308
 03-31-2022, 11:07 AM
User Info
I saw that too, yesterday.
I would love to try the Saponificio Varesino, but shipping is expensive Sad

I also can recommend the DR Harris shampoo bars!
https://www.drharris.co.uk/product-categ...ampoo-bars

[Image: rosemary-shampoo-bar-JPEG-1024x730.jpg]

I like the Rosemary and the Windsor especially.

0 818