03-26-2022, 08:50 AM
User Info
I started shaving in the late fifties, so of course I used DE razors. I switched to a cartridge razor sometime in the 1970s, imagining that it was a great improvement. For one thing, it is nearly impossible to cut or nick yourself with a cartridge razor. I remember constantly walking around with little pieces of tissue paper stuck to my face covering up nicks back in the day. About 10:years ago, I returned to DE shaving with a nice collection of vintage razors. Now I almost never get a nick. Why is that I wonder. Better technique? Seems unlikely. Better blades? I imagine I am using much better sosps and creams. Thoughts?

0 171
 03-26-2022, 08:57 AM
User Info
Better technique.  I virtually never get nicks, regardless of what razor, soap, brush or blade I use.  On the rare occasions I get a nick it's because I'm careless.

60 11,775
 03-26-2022, 02:14 PM
User Info
Skills for sure improved over decades of shaving.  Another factor maybe - age?  My face is not nearly as sweet and tender as it was as a teen, it'll take a lot more abuse.

2 242
 03-26-2022, 08:28 PM
User Info
(03-26-2022, 02:14 PM)old school Wrote: Skills for sure improved over decades of shaving.  Another factor maybe - age?  My face is not nearly as sweet and tender as it was as a teen, it'll take a lot more abuse.

That’s a really good point.

0 171
 03-27-2022, 07:26 AM
User Info
For me the delta is/was time: As a younger man, shaving was to be done as QUICKLY as possible. Now it is too be enjoyed and has become a welcome respite from the mad rush of the day. So a major perspective, paradigm shift in behavior with the manifest tech differences cartridges vs safety razor bring to the routine drives the then & now. Good thread idea.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

0 644
 03-27-2022, 07:44 AM
User Info
This morning I had a great, nickless shave with a Gillette OT, which is probably a more aggressive razor that any that I used back in the day, so you’re right. I’m sure I take way more time to enjoy the process now.

0 171
 03-27-2022, 06:52 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Then, I shaved in the shower with bath soap and a cartridge razor before the crack of dawn. Shaves were literally 30 seconds. Now, 30 minutes, one sharp blade, real shave soap and brush, multiple passes, better lighting in front of the mirror. Then, I always had razor rash. Now, irritation is generally a distant memory.

22 6,243
 03-28-2022, 05:58 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
In the beginning, the shaves were rough and I relied on balm to save the day and cool the burn. It was not the rashy red neck caused by carts that made wearing a tie akin to a hangman's rash and convinced me to grow and keep a beard for over 20 years. When the beard got too gray to be acceptable (except around Christmas time) I started wet shaving. I have been wet shaving for 3 years now. Once I sorted out the variables, mapping the beard, preshave routine, building a lather, proper razor blade combination for my beard, angle, proper pressure, and post shave routine, I have been enjoying my shave day, getting an irritation free shave that is as BBS as the occasion demands or my inclination desires. As Ricardo stated, being careless can cause a nick otherwise I just can't stop stroking my smooooth smiling face.

0 578
 03-28-2022, 11:49 AM
User Info
How it started: shaving fast & furious, first thing in the morning, with no prep and poor technique. Goal: get rid of whiskers.

How it’s going: shaving intentionally (30 minutes), at night, with good prep & technique. Goal: enjoy the experience, and get a barber-quality level result.

36 2,308
 03-28-2022, 02:16 PM
User Info
(03-28-2022, 11:49 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: How it started: shaving fast & furious, first thing in the morning, with no prep and poor technique. Goal: get rid of whiskers.

How it’s going: shaving intentionally (30 minutes), at night, with good prep & technique. Goal: enjoy the experience, and get a barber-quality level result.

Well said! Asleep vs awake has made all the difference for me.

0 183
 03-29-2022, 10:49 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I echo the other speed-related comments.  The only time I get nicks or cuts is when I'm really in a hurry and am not really paying attention.  
  :-)
- Bax

0 443
 03-29-2022, 03:21 PM
User Info
(03-27-2022, 06:52 PM)chazt Wrote: Then, I shaved in the shower with bath soap and a cartridge razor before the crack of dawn. Shaves were literally 30 seconds. Now, 30 minutes, one sharp blade, real shave soap and brush, multiple passes, better lighting in front of the mirror. Then, I always had razor rash. Now, irritation is generally a distant memory.
Right on

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

0 644
 05-10-2022, 12:40 AM
User Info
"The hurrier I get, the slower things go."

I find my sense of time or time pressure is the big difference.

I used to shave with an electric, as fast as I could, because I needed to be out the door ASAP. The result was a lot of pressure on the razor (and electrics aren't great in the first place) and a lot of redness and irritation.

I now shave slowly with a DE or injector, with soap and brush and slow, light, careful strokes. Followed by a rinse, alum, and splash or balm. The result is a smoother shave and no nicks, redness or irritation.

The odd thing? In real time, my shave takes only maybe two or three minutes longer than my old routine. But the difference in enjoyment of the ritual and in end result is enormous.

1 50
 05-10-2022, 05:13 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(05-10-2022, 12:40 AM)Screwtape Wrote: "The hurrier I get, the slower things go."

I find my sense of time or time pressure is the big difference.

I used to shave with an electric, as fast as I could, because I needed to be out the door ASAP.  The result was a lot of pressure on the razor (and electrics aren't great in the first place) and a lot of redness and irritation.

I now shave slowly with a DE or injector, with soap and brush and slow, light, careful strokes.  Followed by a rinse, alum, and splash or balm.  The result is a smoother shave and no nicks, redness or irritation.

The odd thing?  In real time, my shave takes only maybe two or three minutes longer than my old routine. But the difference in enjoyment of the ritual and in end result is enormous.

Agree completely. Excellent post.

22 6,243
 05-10-2022, 05:37 PM
User Info
I heard it as "The hurrier I go the behinder I get."

0 23
 05-11-2022, 05:45 PM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
(05-10-2022, 05:37 PM)rmongiovi Wrote: I heard it as "The hurrier I go the behinder I get."

Me too.

0 773
 05-12-2022, 08:58 AM
User Info
Me three, come to think of it... Been awhile since I actually heard it, or saw it on someone's wall poster, though.

1 50