04-02-2022, 06:48 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I just noticed this morning that my lassez-faire method of rotating through my razors typically omits most of them.  I used to religiously march through the order from left to right across the shelf.  But that sort of turned into "just grab whatever tickles my fancy" that morning.  I realized that my "rotation" has evolved into a Fat Boy, Slim, Flare Tip, vintage Milord, and a Wolfman Guerrilla... while the 20 or so razors sit on the shelf, sobbing in despair at their neglect... quietly weeping in sorrow like a jilted prom date... sitting by the phone... in a pretty dress... with a corsage... staring at a telephone that never rings... waiting for a car that never arrives...

What's YOUR process for razor rotation?  Do you rotate religiously through all of them, or do you just rotate a few favorites and leave the rest as Shelf Queens?  Enquiring Minds Want to Know!*
- Bax

*If you're old enough to remember that advertising slogan... well... then you're as old as I am.
  ;-)

0 443
 04-02-2022, 07:33 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I have many razors in a loose rotation. However, I regularly use my black oxide Asylum Evolution and The Tech. Everything else gets used simply on the day’s whim.

The slogan was used in NY on channel 11/WPIX in the 1970s. It was a tag line delivered by a Mr. Richard N. Hughes, the station’s GM, at the end of his filmed editorial comments. The full phrase was iirc, “What’s your opinion? Enquiring minds want to know.”

22 6,243
 04-02-2022, 11:01 AM
User Info
I have two razors. When the blade has had enough, I load the other razor. Makes the rotation pretty easy to manage Biggrin

36 2,308
 04-02-2022, 12:20 PM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
I sort of have a system.  Granted I only have 5DE's and a straight.  But on Monday evening and Saturday morning I'll use either my pre 51 Super Speed, 59 Fatboy turned up to 6, or the DOC Ascension Twist stainless opened up a1/4 turn.  Reason being, those particular days shaves follow a longer rest period, so my beard is heavier.  And those 3 razors are my more aggressive or aggression capable.    The other days it just depends on what I feel like using.  The DOC gets the most use as my primary go to though.

0 773
 04-02-2022, 05:18 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
May sound weird but I do have a rotation of sorts.  The reasoning is by the 3rd shave a blade could give me trouble so I always use either my Rockwell 6s or Henson AL13 mild as they hold the blades much tighter than the others.  So my 5 other razors are rotated on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and on Wednesday and Saturday I use the Rockwell or Henson.  Don't normally shave on Sundays except for special occasions.

0 269
 04-02-2022, 06:19 PM
User Info
I’m waiting for someone to chime in with their “rotate the blade and razor each pass” strategy

36 2,308
 04-03-2022, 01:57 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
I like to mix and match different razors during a shave. One for first pass and another one for the second pass, typically with a different blade format. Right now I am using the McMurphy 17-4 and then an Above the Tie G1 (Gem). This helps rotate through my collection but I don’t have a set sequence.

0 351
 04-03-2022, 03:34 PM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
(04-03-2022, 01:57 PM)Asafiev Wrote: I like to mix and match different razors during a shave.  One for first pass and another one for the second pass, typically with a different blade format.  Right now I am using the McMurphy 17-4 and then an Above the Tie G1 (Gem).  This helps rotate through my collection but I don’t have a set sequence.

I do that on my head.  

Beware, the follow description of events may be offensive to some.

I do first pass with a a disposable.  I never cut myself, and it is able to slice off most of the hair.  It's a good one, but I can't recall the name.  (They're all quite forgettable).  Then, for second pass, I use my Feather.  It gets pretty close, and I almost never nick myself.  

I shave my head every weekend, and this technique works very well for me.  I did it a few times with my Wolfman for both passes, but I nicked myself on the back of my neck.  So, with the disposable, it's just about impossible to nick myself.  I think it has 2 blades, but maybe it has more—I must confess they don't fascinate me at all, so I've never checked.  I toss them after 2 or 3 uses.

After the shave, lots of Witch Hazel.  When it dries, I follow with tons of moisturizing cream.

1 746
 04-04-2022, 04:29 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Too many razors here to properly rotate, they are squirrelled away in several spots so some stay dormant for long periods.  If I see a mention of a particular razor on a forum & have one it may prompt me to dig it out .. otherwise if there's a new arrival it gets used regularly, and there's always a Schick Type M out for when I need a shave in a hurry ..

Brushes on the other hand are on shelves & get used in the order they are standing in.  Soaps/creams by whim or as required by certain brushes (eg., a floppy Plisson gets creamed, while when the Pure Badger Eagle comes up a hard soap is the only option).

84 922
 04-04-2022, 09:53 AM
User Info
My rotation is of the chaotic, impulsive kind.

It goes something like, ‘Mmmm, now that I shave with this new Muhle razor, let me try a old MMOC next week’.
Only to end up with a Wolfman or so, because it matches the brush I picked. 

And I am sure a lot of razors see less time in use than others.

0 818
 04-04-2022, 04:53 PM
User Info
Interesting thread.  I too favor one razor over others for daily chores.

2 242
 04-04-2022, 10:50 PM
User Info
I used to be a "grab whichever razor tickles my fancy today" kind of guy... but when I first got double digits of razors I realised that it would quickly become unfair... so since then I've had a rigid rotation of my razors. And it works - I get time to get reacquainted with each razor in turn, fine-tune my technique with it, relearn why it is still in my rotation... then do it all again next week. Right now I got twenty-ish razors in my rotation, a number that has been constant (even if the razors have not) for a few years now.

3 7,942
 04-05-2022, 05:38 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
In the beginning, I had a strict rotation. Each shave was performed with a different brush soap blade and razor Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100 . To help manage the order, I arranged my razors in a wooden test tube holder and would march from left to right. Quickly enough RAD filled the repurposed display and then the system broke down when I surpassed the holder's 12 razor capacity. Then shaving choices became based on a whim. As more razors arrived, I would use the new razor for a week or so in order to get to know the characteristics of my new prize. Since we all seem to live by the credo "the next one will be the best (and last 24 ) one of them all", I continued acquiring and found one razor recently that I have used for 3 months or so ie, the RR Lupo in aluminum Number_one . During that time, the RR croap, The Dead Sea, became my only soap and splash and with very few exceptions I have used the Simpson Trafalgar T3 for about a year. My last shave broke the pattern with a badger brush, Scapenmelk, Rockwell 6C plate 4, and Pitralon Pure. 

So basically, I am following the path pointed out by the Zen poet Paul Reps, "Unless it's fun best left undone."

0 578
 04-06-2022, 06:23 AM
User Info
Some just don't get used, but all are enjoyed. 
For instance, I have a display shelf with a dozen travel sets, mostly techs, and some NIP that will stay that way. Why crack the cellophane if I've got another in good user condition? 
I've got over 125 razors, and consider them an investment. 
Most importantly I enjoy my collection as a whole, ogling over it, organizing, cleaning, displaying...I thoroughly enjoy the hobby.

2 172
 04-06-2022, 11:33 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(04-06-2022, 06:23 AM)Old School TSD Wrote: Some just don't get used, but all are enjoyed. 
For instance, I have a display shelf with a dozen travel sets, mostly techs, and some NIP that will stay that way. Why crack the cellophane if I've got another in good user condition? 
I've got over 125 razors, and consider them an investment. 
Most importantly I enjoy my collection as a whole, ogling over it, organizing, cleaning, displaying...I thoroughly enjoy the hobby.

Agree completely. While not nearly as extensive as your den, I too enjoy the ogling, organizing, cleaning and displaying. It’s fun and cathartic Smile

22 6,243