10-09-2012, 09:19 AM
User Info
I would think so because of the different colors and styles on the tips, but what is the difference?

an inquiring noobie would like to know. Smile

40 5,830
 10-09-2012, 09:25 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
While I'm sure there is more than just what I know and someone else will have a better response, the three "basic" styles, the Blue tip, Flare tip, and Red tip, all have different weights.

Blue, being the the lowest, flare is in the middle, and red being heaviest, making them more or less "aggressive". They may have different blade gaps which would also effect blade exposure to the skin.

As far as I knew the black handle flare tip was just a remodel of the regular flare tip and the Black Tip is a predecessor to the flared superspeeds. I know the black tip came in an all steel version and an aluminum version, again effecting the weight of the razor.

35 1,732
 10-09-2012, 09:25 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Yup! Blue = mildest, Flare = mid and Red = most aggressive.

There is a Black Tip that is not necessarily part of that trio AFAIK and I would say that it's a tad about the Blue tip in aggressiveness. I have the aluminum handled version of that one and it also came with a steel handle. I'm not sure about that one.

Now, ask me about any British counterparts and I have no clue!

HTH Andrew. Smile And "noobie"? I think not!

Anthony beat me to it. I think that we've basically said the same thing but he did it with more detail!

6 905
 10-09-2012, 09:58 AM
User Info
In every group of people, there is always someone who is different, and today I guess it's me. Maybe it's just me (what a thought!), but I can't tell the difference between all the super speeds and the diplomat and the president. They all seem to provide the same shave quality, which is to say excellent when paired with the right blade -- which for me at the moment is the Gillette 7 o'clock yellow.

15 316
 10-09-2012, 01:58 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Craig, I don't necessarily think that it's you. I find the all of them very similar except the Red Tip which is decidedly heavier and more aggressive for me. Not overly aggressive at all but still, more so than the others that I've tried.

I also find a difference in the shave with the older, late 40's Super Speed. I don't know if it's head geometry and/or better balance but I seem to get better results in an easier fashion with those razors.

And, I have to agree with you that a Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow is a superb blade for me as well in all of my vintage Gillette's.

6 905
 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM
User Info
thanks for the comments.

I had a black tip and a flare tip come in today. maybe I'll try them before I decide to get rid of them.

40 5,830
 10-09-2012, 02:25 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I was under the impression that Red>Blue>Black in regards to aggression.

With that said - none of them could be classified as an aggressive razor. They are, in my mind, very smooth and pretty much idiot proof.

29 466
 10-09-2012, 06:04 PM
User Info
(10-09-2012, 09:25 AM)EHV Wrote: Yup! Blue = mildest, Flare = mid and Red = most aggressive.

There is a Black Tip that is not necessarily part of that trio AFAIK and I would say that it's a tad about the Blue tip in aggressiveness. I have the aluminum handled version of that one and it also came with a steel handle. I'm not sure about that one.

Now, ask me about any British counterparts and I have no clue!

HTH Andrew. Smile And "noobie"? I think not!

Anthony beat me to it. I think that we've basically said the same thing but he did it with more detail!

+1 This is what i have heard. Good luck, Andrew.

75 20,883
 10-10-2012, 03:30 PM
User Info
I have the following: 40's super speed, red tip, blue tip, 2 flare tips.
My blade of choice is the very forgiving, Lord Platinum.
I tried them once with Gillette 7'oclock yellow and I hated it, in general that blade doesn't work well for me.

My favorite by far is the 40's super speed. It is super smooth, mild yet efficient. The blue tip was milder and I needed more passes to get the same shave. I might try it sometime again with the Gillette blacks that are not as forgiving as the Lord (meaning a tad sharper).
The red is also very nice. I have the one with the '+' marks near the handle. It is more aggressive but I was not thrilled with it as I were with the 40's, I might try it with different blade in the future.

For some reason, the flare tips and I did not get along that well.

6 808