04-27-2022, 11:01 PM
User Info
I'm not sure if this is a simple question... or at least, I'm not sure if this has a simple answer.

Anyhow... I'm philosophising a bit over a cup of coffee, and my brain latched on to a question;

When is a razor considered a vintage razor?

I mean, we all know that a Gillette Old Type from the 1920's is a vintage razor (and also the razor I'm using this week). Most of us can agree that a Schick K-type is a vintage razor, even if it was barely out of production when I was born. But what about a Track II from the seventies? The Schick N-type? The Gillette Sensor I got in boot camp in '92?

In short, where or what is the cut-off for considering a razor to be vintage?

There is a hard cut-off for what is a vintage car, at least where I live; If it is older than thirty (30) years, it's a vintage car (which means less road tax etc.). But if I uses the same standard on a razor... then the Gillette Sensor that is in the very back of my bathroom cabinet is a vintage razor, and I'm not sure I like that Tongue

3 7,942
 04-28-2022, 04:04 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
In my mind I think you are looking at it correctly.  Age and if the item is still manufactured are major factors.  Automobiles I think are sometimes considered vintage when replacement parts become more scarce for repair.  My state in the U.S. also has a vintage designation on autos for renewal tags and tax considerations.  Insurance companies have a vintage status for automobiles whereby you can no longer get insurance on the vehicle and use a company like Hagerty for coverage.  Yes, I think your Gillette Sensor razor could be considered vintage.   Biggrin

0 268
 04-28-2022, 06:29 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
What constitutes Vintage?… good question!

Someone on TSN a while back said that any razor older than him was vintage. I suggest arbitrarily that any razor made before 1975 is vintage.

My 1959 Martin 0-15 is vintage (barely). But my 1973 D-28 won’t be vintage until it turns 50 years old next year.

22 6,242
 04-28-2022, 06:34 AM
  • Bax
User Info
Interesting, Hans!  There are certainly some Trac II razors out there that are older than the double-edge competition at the time, but I think most folks would think of the TTO DE razor as "vintage" while considering the Trac II competition as "modern."  

Perhaps it's the "ear of the beholder" that matters.  (And maybe not.)  
But if I heard certain words, I'd interpret them according to the notion they evoke in my noggin,  
for example::
1)  Vintage:  olde tyme SE or DE razors that haven't been produced in many years,
2)  Classic:  out-of-production razors, regardless of type (SE, DE, or Cartridge),
3)  "_____-Style" razors:  either a Vintage-Style (a newly manufactured SE/DE razor) or a Classic-Style (a modern rendition of an outdated cart razor, like a newly-produced Trac II, if there is such a thing).
4)  Modern: including all of the current production razors, even the bazillion-bladed, gigantic cartridge things that kids seem to like these days.

Calling any cartridge razor "vintage" seems weird to me... but it might sound right if we progress to some goofy Star Wars "laser razor," that renders all cartridges outdated and quaint.  Maybe then, the cartridge razors would be "vintage" and the formerly vintage razors would be "antique."   

Kudos on creating a weird post, Hans.  
I doubt this one has a "right" answer...
Huzzah!
    :-)
- Bax

0 443
 04-28-2022, 07:32 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I'd say when it's older than I am.  Biggrin Seriously though... I'm not sure. Vintage isn't necessarily the same thing as antique. 

The Webster dictionary gives classic as a synonym for vintage. In that case, the Cobra classic would be vintage as it was the first artist club safety razor and thus a classic. That said, it only dates back to around 2009 if I recall correctly.

54 22,368
 05-10-2022, 01:49 AM
User Info
"Antique" used to mean some item was 100+ years old. I have noticed a certain amount of "creep" in that definition in more recent years. I believe that on eBay, at least some vendors now use that classification to sell items that are 50+ years old.

"Vintage" has never had as exact a general definition. It has had specific meanings in certain cases. For example, in my province, cars and motorcycles acquire that classification for insurance purposes at 25 years. (You will note that that is half the age required for it in the OP's jurisdiction.)

For things like razors (and brushes and soaps), I tend to view "vintage" as meaning "no longer in production".

Just my two cents worth...

1 50
 05-10-2022, 10:11 AM
User Info
(04-28-2022, 06:29 AM)chazt Wrote: What constitutes Vintage?… good question!

Someone on TSN a while back said that any razor older than him was vintage. I suggest arbitrarily that any razor made before 1975 is vintage.

My 1959 Martin 0-15 is vintage (barely). But my 1973 D-28 won’t be vintage until it turns 50 years old next year.

I assume the 0-15 is all mahogany? I will be over to collect both Martins for further inspection/investigation into their vintageness. I will likely need them indefinitely to monitor them as they continue to age. There is no charge for this service. Biggrin

5 926
 05-10-2022, 11:43 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Thought provoking question - my knee jerk says it is akin to Phil's definition above, for many of us that would be pre-baby boom.  Autos vary by jurisdiction, I guess for purposes of reduced registration or plate fees, razors I'd define vintage a little more liberally, say anything made prior to my having started shaving ..

84 922
 05-10-2022, 05:14 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(05-10-2022, 10:11 AM)Mike Distress Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 06:29 AM)chazt Wrote: What constitutes Vintage?… good question!

I assume the 0-15 is all mahogany? I will be over to collect both Martins for further inspection/investigation into their vintageness. I will likely need them indefinitely to monitor them as they continue to age. There is no charge for this service. Biggrin

Yep, all hog. Which by the way, is what I plan to do with them Euro

22 6,242