10-09-2012, 11:54 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1250647.JPG?m=1349811137]

When it comes to high quality silvertip hair , it doesnt get better than shavemac D01 silvertip.Yes , there are many brands out there offering quality silvertip badger hair : Thater , Vie Long , Rooney , Vulfix or Wet Shaving Products Stubbies comes to mind , but my personal preference goes for D01 silvertip , followed by the Semogue selected silvertip and the Vie Long.

Yes , the Vie Long and Thater are the most "luxurious" ones that I have tried so far , but the D01 silvertip has the perfect amount of flow , backbone and soft tips , and I like that combination too much.

[Image: P1250648.JPG?m=1349811177]

This was my first shavemac , back in 2010 , and its one of my top 3 badger hair brushes , even before the Simpson Duke 3 best badger.Its the kind of brush that you feel in love so much , that you can have 2 of them with no problem.

The brush has the following specs :
  • 23 mm knot
  • 53 mm loft
  • 105 mm total height

which makes it a medium size brush , which allows to perform well when bowl lathering is required.

[Image: P1250649.JPG?m=1349811178]

Of course , this is a very well made shaving brush , and the handle its a fine example of that : sturdy , heavy and easy/comfortable to hold.Its a beauty on its own , both in Ivory or Black color.

This kind of silvertip hair is quiet peculiar too.This is what I wrote about it on this thread :
shavemac badger hair grades

Quote:For many shavemac lovers,this kind of badger hair is the Crown jewels,and I do agree with them since,with the finest badger hair,its my favorite type of hair, offered by shavemac.

If you like 3 band badger brushes,and you are looking for flow,a good backbone,and soft tips,this is the hair for you.How is it different to the shavemac's silvertip hair? The D01 silvertip hair has a better backbone,while the regular silvertip has a more noticeable flow.Does it means that the D01 doesnt have a good flow?Not at all,but the regular silvertip could have a soft backbone,while the D01,due to the thickness of the bristles and the densely packed hair knot,has a more firmer backbone.

This is a perfect brush for face lathering and bowl lathering,with both hard soaps and shaving creams.The tips could be a little bit scritchier in the first shaves,but after a week of regular use,would become soft.

It could be a lather hog,due to its hair extreme density,but use more product,and it will be ok,making lather for 5 or 6 razor passes.

Also,this kind of hair comes on a more fan shaped style,while most of the other shavemac badger hair brushes, comes on a bulb shaped.However,you can customize it and ask Bern to make you a brush with a "extreme flat top",like some of the D01 silvertip 3 band or 2 band.

For me is the best shavemac badger hair,the one that pampers you every time you use it and the one you truly enjoy/love to have.

I think that its very clear what I think about this kind of hair.Biggrin

This brush is very well packed with badger hair , as you can see in this pic :

[Image: P1250650.JPG?m=1349811180]

And yes , its as packed as a Simpson super badger brush , enough said.

This brush is not only excellent for facelathering , due to the natural firm backbone and soft tips , but also with bowl lathering , so we can consider it a "luxurious" all rounder brush , more expensive than a Semogue SOC 2 band , and a little bit more than a Duke 3 best badger.

shavemac truly makes excellent shaving brushes and deserves the spot of being one of the best brush makers out there.

Another shavemac D01 silvertip : shavemac D01 silvertip badger brush.

86 7,123
 10-09-2012, 12:08 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
As always, a nice review Teiste. However, next time I wish you would tell us what you really think.Biggrin

173 23,508
 10-09-2012, 12:13 PM
User Info
I have one of these with a 50mm loft. The brush is wow. Some amazing hair and fantastic knot construction.

Great pics and review T.

7 1,179
 10-09-2012, 12:13 PM
User Info
I really like that brush. I have one just like it. I'm keeping it.

9 2,988
 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-09-2012, 12:08 PM)Johnny Wrote: As always, a nice review Teiste. However, next time I wish you would tell us what you really think.Biggrin

What I really think about what , Johnny? Am I not enough clear with my thread/review about this brush? Rolleyes

86 7,123
 10-09-2012, 12:17 PM
User Info
Bernd makes a bloody good brush I'll give him that ... beauty.

1 630
 10-09-2012, 12:21 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Just my American way of poking fun at you. You do an excellent job with your reviews, no matter what the subject is.

And by the way, poking fun at someone is a good thing. Shows respect in a friendly way. Another one of those dumb American things.

173 23,508
 10-09-2012, 12:24 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-09-2012, 12:21 PM)Johnny Wrote: Just my American way of poking fun at you. You do an excellent job with your reviews, no matter what the subject is.

And by the way, poking fun at someone is a good thing. Shows respect in a friendly way. Another one of those dumb American things.

Yeah , I know what you mean.My gf does it all the time.Im just a super serious Spanish guy...conquistador blood runs on my veins , so you can guess how serious I am !!! TongueTongue

Thanks for the comments , gentlemen.

Mark , it seems you have a good relationship with Bern and I can see that : he is the kind of guy easy to deal with and very polite.I have been in touch with him since 2009 and made two editions for foroafeitado , and Im very grateful for that.

86 7,123
 10-09-2012, 12:34 PM
User Info
Nice review, Teiste.

I will order a D01 3-Band Silvertip in this handle very soon - in fact after I have received my Duke 3 ButterScotch manchurian and my 2 Shavemac 3-Band Silvertip genuine horn brushes - I will order this in 24 mm D01 3-Band Silvertip with 52 mm loft:

Model 234 Cocobolo Wood:

[Image: 1121_0.jpg]

Love those wood handles.....Blush Blush

22 5,053
 10-09-2012, 12:46 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-09-2012, 12:34 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Nice review, Teiste.

I will order a D01 3-Band Silvertip in this handle very soon - in fact after I have received my Duke 3 ButterScotch manchurian and my 2 Shavemac 3-Band Silvertip genuine horn brushes - I will order this in 24 mm D01 3-Band Silvertip with 52 mm loft:

Model 234 Cocobolo Wood:

Claus , you are out of control ,my friend! Enjoy them all.I think youre getting excellent shaving brushes , both the Simspon and shavemac.

86 7,123
 10-09-2012, 01:28 PM
User Info
(10-09-2012, 12:46 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Model 234 Cocobolo Wood:

Claus , you are out of control ,my friend! Enjoy them all.I think youre getting excellent shaving brushes , both the Simspon and shavemac.

Yes I know it Blush
But you may not believe me - but I have a certain amount of fixed models of brushes in certain type hairs that I want in certain sizes - after I own these, only very special rare brushes like i.e. ShaveNook limited edition brushes or maybe unique Simpson brushes special made by Mark and unique brush with crazy looking handles from Lee Sabini will make me purchase a new brush after I'm done with this brush haul.........

It's good fun - I really enjoy my shaves more with the vast anount of different brushes I now own - it's actually funny when I have 3-4 days stubbles (it does happen actually after a long work weekend with 3X12 hours) I tend to use my more scrubby brushes, and then when I shave daily I tend to prefer the velvet soft brushes with less backbone.......

I know I'm out of control - but heck, I get some of my dream brushes - maybe not them all, but some of them.
The Duke 3 in ButterScotch manchurian was one of them - I now bought it, and Mark picked me a beauty Smile

It was actually Geo Fatboys, and your YouTube brush videos that started my interest in brushes - then I saw Vlad's brush collection on B&B - and I became hooked Blush

22 5,053
 10-09-2012, 02:14 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I have the same brush - although it's the 944-26 D01. It measures out at 27/60.

There's no question as to the softness of the brush - it's as good as any out there including my Simpson Chubby 3 Super and Thater 4292/6 2 Band (in regards to softness/face feel).

I will say however, that for face lathering - I think a 27/52 to 56 would have been more desirable. The 27/60 splays very easily and is borderline moppy - but not quite.

The good news is - Shavemac can customize any order they get to your exact specifications - just keep the knot/loft in mind for your specific needs.

29 466
 10-09-2012, 02:40 PM
User Info
Claus, one day when you send all your brushes to BST because you are changing hobbies, please PM me. Some of them I would give a nice second home... Biggrin
(10-09-2012, 01:28 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 12:46 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Model 234 Cocobolo Wood:

Yes I know it Blush
But you may not believe me - but I have a certain amount of fixed models of brushes in certain type hairs that I want in certain sizes - after I own these, only very special rare brushes like i.e. ShaveNook limited edition brushes or maybe unique Simpson brushes special made by Mark and unique brush with crazy looking handles from Lee Sabini will make me purchase a new brush after I'm done with this brush haul.........

It's good fun - I really enjoy my shaves more with the vast anount of different brushes I now own - it's actually funny when I have 3-4 days stubbles (it does happen actually after a long work weekend with 3X12 hours) I tend to use my more scrubby brushes, and then when I shave daily I tend to prefer the velvet soft brushes with less backbone.......

I know I'm out of control - but heck, I get some of my dream brushes - maybe not them all, but some of them.
The Duke 3 in ButterScotch manchurian was one of them - I now bought it, and Mark picked me a beauty Smile

It was actually Geo Fatboys, and your YouTube brush videos that started my interest in brushes - then I saw Vlad's brush collection on B&B - and I became hooked Blush

31 1,554
 10-09-2012, 05:58 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Teiste!

75 20,883
 10-09-2012, 06:28 PM
User Info
(10-09-2012, 02:40 PM)German Wrote: Claus, one day when you send all your brushes to BST because you are changing hobbies, please PM me. Some of them I would give a nice second home... Biggrin brushes , both the Simspon and shavemac.

I promise you German, that I will PM you first thing, if/when I should start BST'ing my brushes.

But I'm not quite sure this can be compared to my many hobbies, like tennis, golf, mountain bikes, Computers, Hi Tech gear and other of my hobbies - because shaving is something I have to do at least 3-4 times a week to feel comfortable - but I can use a can of goo Gel and a Fusion cart no problem - but once you have tried a great brush and a great shaving cream, it's very hard to go back and skip it altogether. With that said I might end up getting tired of my brushes and having to wait 8 weeks before I have used each one in my collection once.......which mean I havw to dust them off before use Biggrin

But you on the other hand have an even bugger problem since you have 40-50 brushes in your collection. I only have 28, 30 max - and then as said only VERY VERY special genuine horn, butterscotch Manchurian and maybe unique wooden handles can make me even consider buying a new brush Cool
Otherwise I'm done very soon ...... I think Tongue - no seriously, there are no brushes left I really anymore...... Blush

22 5,053
 10-13-2012, 07:06 PM
User Info
Nice review Teiste. I just completed a trade for one of these (26mm) and it arrived along with a package from Phil around 5pm today. Going to give it a try tomorrow and can't wait. It is beautiful pictures do not do the knot and hair justice.

129 6,685
 10-13-2012, 07:15 PM
User Info

Model 234 Cocobolo Wood:

I'm dying to know how many brushes you've bought in the last month or two. It seems like you are on a record run!

27 354
 10-14-2012, 10:39 AM
User Info
I just picked up the 26mm version of this in a trade with Samjax and used it for the first time this morning. It's a wall of badger fur. I've never felt anything quite like it. Due to the knot size and density it took a it more cream than I expected but I just wanted to keep lathering my face all day.

129 6,685