05-26-2022, 11:52 AM
User Info
Over the last few months one of my vintage Rooney Finest brushes, a 3/3 Ebony, began to shed quite a lot. The handle still had very crisp, pristine lettering, and since I loved its appearance and feel in my hand, I decided to have it reknotted so that I could continue to use it in my rotation. I sent it to Bob Quinn of Elite Razor, from whom I had bought brushes in the past, and he put one of his knots in it. But when I got the brush back, I was dismayed to see that half the lettering on the handle had been wiped off. Perhaps he did not know that polishing would remove the lettering, since none of his brush handles are lettered. Or maybe he was just tired and very careless. He claimed that the lettering had been faded before he worked on the brush, but as you can see from the images below, this is totally untrue. He refunded my payment, but he did not admit any responsibility, nor did he apologize. And the damage had been done. 

Pre-reknotting
[Image: 41HMEBZ.jpg][Image: IILsytU.jpg]

Post-reknotting
[Image: IDMiRm7.jpg][Image: mj5WfNu.jpg]

After Bob ruined the handle, I decided I also did not like the knot. So after looking around at other brush makers' products, I finally decided just to have the brush re-knotted by Brad Sears and Lee Sabini. The only way Brad was willing to do it was to put the Morris & Forndran name on it instead of Rooney. I sent the brush to him, and he had Lee put a current M&F Finest knot in it. Then Brad re-lettered the handle. But when I got it back, unfortunately, whoever does his lettering was ignorant of the fact that the old Rooney Style 3 Finest brushes just said 'Finest Badger' without any printed number. But they printed my brush so that it says 'Hand 2 Made, Finest Badger' even though it is a 3/3 brush, NOT a Style or Size 2.
[Image: lbxE4Fz.jpg][Image: oYIIrHg.jpg]

If they HAD to put a number on it, why not an appropriate ??  In addition, just to further illustrate their ignorance or carelessness, the invoice that Brad sent me called the brush a 'Simpson.' I wrote an email to Brad complaining about the bad job they did on the brush, but after a week I have received no response at all - no offer to make it right, no admission of responsibility, and no apology. Nothing.

Both of these brush makers have glowing reviews and appreciation threads on the forums, but my experience certainly does not match those reported by others.

260 14,817
 05-26-2022, 11:58 AM
User Info
Sorry for your experiences. I have not dealt with either so can't speak on anything related to their work. It still turned out to be a beautiful brush and I hope you will still find some enjoyment in it's use.

156 4,118
 05-26-2022, 03:16 PM
User Info
Sorry for the unfortunate set of events.  You still have a beautiful handle with a great Lee Sabini knot.  Moreover, you now own a one of a kind brush which no one else has.  Sometimes mistakes can make an item more collectable.  

I'm not making light of what happened to your brush, but just suggesting there may be a positive way to look at a bad situation.

60 11,882
 05-26-2022, 03:59 PM
User Info
This really sucks, John.
I sent a gorgeous Simpson 59 Best Badger---(when Best Badger actually meant something) to Mark to be re-knotted. He/They broke the handle and sent me a replacement 59. What a complete piece of junk that knot was. I was SO disappointed. Sold the brush.
Done with Simpson at the retail level. I will still purchase a classic/vintage Simpson, but NEVER again from the Isle of Man.
I feel bad for you, knowing how much you enjoy your Rooney collection.

101 7,641
 05-26-2022, 06:13 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
John, I feel your disappointment in your post. It sucks when things don’t go as we hope. I’ve learned that reknotting a brush is unfortunately accompanied by an unknown outcome. This is often why brush makers’ first instinct is to shy away from taking on such jobs. While I’ve had excellent outcomes, I’ve also had a few disappointments as well. Life goes on. I wake up next to my wife in the morning and that’s sweeter than all my worldly possessions.

22 6,381
 05-26-2022, 07:15 PM
  • TonyN
  • Buford, GA US
User Info
Sorry for the issues you've had John. The lettering could have been rubbed off during transit if the brush was not wrapped in tissue paper or something else to protect if.

I kept one of my M&F brushes in a travel container and I didn't wrap it in tissue and the lettering wore off. I also received a new TOBS silvertip that wasn't wrapped and the lettering was smudged when I got it.

Hopefully you enjoy the using the brush as it is now with the new knot.

1 480
 05-26-2022, 07:31 PM
User Info
I’m empathetic to your situation John. I have a brush waiting to be re-knotted (which I’ll probably do myself, as I’ve already extracted the existing knot). You had a brush that was no-longer usable, now you have one that is - but which is also significantly changed. Only you know whether that will be acceptable over time.

As an aside - years ago I had an impacted tooth that needed to be removed. This meant a dental implant, fake replacement tooth, and veneers on the sister teeth on each side. It’s hard to select tooth color based on photos, and even harder to predict how they’ll look once in. We did the best we could, but when the new dental appliqué came in - it was obvious to me that the color was too grey and stood out. I paid dearly to have those remade - especially since I’d look at them everyday. The cosmetic dentist was not happy with this decision (as he ate a small portion of the cost as well). That said - I’ve never once regretted my decision.

36 2,316
 05-26-2022, 09:15 PM
User Info
(05-26-2022, 07:15 PM)TonyN Wrote: Sorry for the issues you've had John. The lettering could have been rubbed off during transit if the brush was not wrapped in tissue paper or something else to protect if.

I kept one of my M&F brushes in a travel container and I didn't wrap it in tissue and the lettering wore off. I also received a new TOBS silvertip that wasn't wrapped and the lettering was smudged when I got it.

Hopefully you enjoy the using the brush as it is now with the new knot.

Perhaps it rubbed off on its way back to me, although I doubt it. And when I sent it to him initially, I wrapped it carefully in soft paper followed by layers of bubble wrap to protect it, as I always do when mailing brushes.

260 14,817
 05-27-2022, 12:06 PM
User Info
I saw this on three forums last night. Things can eat at a person and I feel for you as it's been going on for too long.  I'd make you a cup of hot tea and give you a big hug if you were around here.  Maybe the best thing to do is put it up on BST cheap and fast and get it out of your life.  Or PIF it too someone that tells you the best joke, the funniest Memorial Day BBQ Story or just someone that's never tried a badger brush...  Honestly I don't think your experience will have any impact on either of these makers.  As you know they have a long track record of good work.  Take Care and I wish you well.

2 246