06-04-2022, 10:19 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Are there any aftershaves that make you retch, your nostrils burn and your eyes water? While there are a lot of aftershaves that I do not particularly care for, a few that I find putrid and a couple that are downright offensive, there is one aftershave that I hold above all others for inducing that instant sinus headache. Pashana

Now I know that there are probably a lot of Pashana lovers on TSN...well...one or two at least. My disdain for Pashana has a bit of a story behind it. When I fist started out as a vendor, I was working out of the house. I had ordered a few cases of Pashana and one of the cases contained broken bottles that proceeded to leak all over the carpet. It took months to completely get rid of that pungent mix of Patchouli and powder.

What aftershave heads the list in your Hall of Shame and what is the story behind it?

54 22,418
 06-04-2022, 10:22 AM
User Info
Clubman. Just too cloying.

101 7,641
 06-04-2022, 11:04 AM
User Info
Southern Witchcrafts Valley Of Ashes. It pains me to say that as I love soooo many of their fragrances. They are unique and I like that, but Valley was offensively strong to me. And I don't mind something with strength/staying power, but I think you could have smelled me coming from the next state over. It smelled like tar, burning rubber, I'm not sure. These were the notes and probably pretty damn accurate:

Coal, Tar, Bourbon, Tobacco, Bitter Citrus, Smoke, Leather, Motor Oil, Burning Rubber, Diesel, Clove, Birch Tar, Bergamot

It was a blind buy like most, but with notes like coal, tar, diesel, burning rubber, motor oil, etc., I should have known.

5 955
 06-04-2022, 12:45 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(06-04-2022, 11:04 AM)Mike Distress Wrote:
Southern Witchcrafts Valley Of Ashes. It pains me to say that as I love soooo many of their fragrances. They are unique and I like that, but Valley was offensively strong to me. And I don't mind something with strength/staying power, but I think you could have smelled me coming from the next state over. It smelled like tar, burning rubber, I'm not sure. These were the notes and probably pretty damn accurate:

Coal, Tar, Bourbon, Tobacco, Bitter Citrus, Smoke, Leather, Motor Oil, Burning Rubber, Diesel, Clove, Birch Tar, Bergamot

It was a blind buy like most, but with notes like coal, tar, diesel, burning rubber, motor oil, etc., I should have known.

haha...that sounds horrible.

54 22,418
 06-04-2022, 01:28 PM
User Info
(06-04-2022, 12:45 PM)bullgoose Wrote:

haha...that sounds horrible.

Sadly, it was. I like clove, birch and bergamot but I guess not the rest. I am not sure if birch tar is the same as just the wintergreen type of birch. I already avoided leather, now I know to add coal, tar, smoke, motor oil, diesel, and burning rubber. Again, not trying to knock SW, this scent just was not for me.

5 955
 06-04-2022, 01:49 PM
User Info
There is one that I like, but I get a lot of crinkled noses and once someone moving away from me: Floid Vigoroso.

Go figure?

0 16
 06-04-2022, 01:51 PM
User Info
One aftershave that sometimes gets me crinkled noses and one time someone moving away from me. Floid Vigoroso.

Go figure?

0 16
 06-04-2022, 01:51 PM
User Info
(06-04-2022, 01:49 PM)Tedolph Wrote: There is one that I like, but I get a lot of crinkled noses and once someone moving away from me: Floid Vigoroso.

Go figure?
That's a great scent and the menthol is bracing. Let the others keep on crinklin'.
Cheers

101 7,641
 06-04-2022, 01:54 PM
User Info
(06-04-2022, 01:51 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(06-04-2022, 01:49 PM)Tedolph Wrote: There is one that I like, but I get a lot of crinkled noses and once someone moving away from me: Floid Vigoroso.

Go figure?
That's a great scent and the menthol is bracing. Let the others keep on crinklin'.
Cheers

I agree, although I do detect a bit of uric acid aroma when first applied. It has sent profile that is similar in dry down to Clubman Classic which I get lots of complements on

So, I can't figure it out.

0 16
 06-04-2022, 02:00 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info

Go figure?
I have had the same reaction from people when I have used Floid Vigoroso. I think it may be the powdery dry down that some people find off putting.

54 22,418
 06-04-2022, 02:06 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
It made me gag.

22 6,381
 06-04-2022, 04:33 PM
User Info
I've never used it, but would not be surprised to see The Veg on this list.

60 11,882
 06-04-2022, 04:36 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(06-04-2022, 04:33 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I've never used it, but would not be surprised to see The Veg on this list.

I have heard of the legend of The Veg but have never personally used it or smelled it.  Its a streak I do not intend on breaking.  Tongue

54 22,418
 06-04-2022, 04:44 PM
User Info
(06-04-2022, 04:36 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(06-04-2022, 04:33 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I've never used it, but would not be surprised to see The Veg on this list.

I have heard of the legend of The Veg but have never personally used it or smelled it.  Its a streak I do not intend on breaking.  Tongue

The legend of The Veg!  It's definitely in the love it or hate it category.

60 11,882
 06-05-2022, 08:52 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info

I've used it, and it deserves to be on this list!

13 2,532
 06-05-2022, 09:17 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(06-05-2022, 08:52 AM)Sully Wrote:

I've used it, and it deserves to be on this list!

54 22,418
 06-05-2022, 11:10 AM
User Info
Southern Witchcrafts Valley Of Ashes...  smelled like tar, burning rubber, I'm not sure. These were the notes and probably pretty damn accurate:

WTH, Mike?  Valley of Ashes sounds like a low-cost version of my beloved Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia described thusly my SMN: "... (the) intent with this fragrance was to suggest the odors associated with Millemiglia race cars. Smells of tires worn out by acceleration and sudden braking blend with hints of gasoline and leather, both of which are characteristic of antique cars."

Reviews for Nostalgia on the Fragrantica site are definitely mixed with a preponderance of positives even though more than one fan said the staff at SMN tried to dissuade their purchase.

Somewhere once I read a woman's complementary comment that Nostalgia made her think of being kissed aggressively by a mechanic as he pushed her up against a stack of tires in a garage.  Sold me on it.

Yes, it's a cologne but IMO a cologne can be an aftershave. So there's that.

0 83
 06-05-2022, 04:42 PM
User Info
(06-05-2022, 11:10 AM)Mazama Wrote:
Southern Witchcrafts Valley Of Ashes...  smelled like tar, burning rubber, I'm not sure. These were the notes and probably pretty damn accurate:

WTH, Mike?  Valley of Ashes sounds like a low-cost version of my beloved Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia described thusly my SMN: "... (the) intent with this fragrance was to suggest the odors associated with Millemiglia race cars. Smells of tires worn out by acceleration and sudden braking blend with hints of gasoline and leather, both of which are characteristic of antique cars."

Reviews for Nostalgia on the Fragrantica site are definitely mixed with a preponderance of positives even though more than one fan said the staff at SMN tried to dissuade their purchase.

Somewhere once I read a woman's complementary comment that Nostalgia made her think of being kissed aggressively by a mechanic as he pushed her up against a stack of tires in a garage.  Sold me on it.

Do you mean to say that there is another SMN Nostalgia fan?? Try Xyrena 66.

101 7,641
 06-05-2022, 04:48 PM
User Info
I have a small bottle of "the Veg" I like it, especially on a hot summer day.

0 16
 06-05-2022, 07:42 PM
User Info
(06-05-2022, 11:10 AM)Mazama Wrote:

I feels so attacked Laughing1 the description you gave seems pretty accurate from what I remember. It was just unpleasant for me and incredibly overpowering. If I'm correct, a lot of aftershaves are cologne knockoff/dupes. It looks like you and Primo share of love of this scent!!!

5 955