10-09-2012, 02:28 PM
User Info
I took a puck of Cade I bought a long time ago for it's first test drive the other morning. I'd heard rumors it could be a tricky to lather, so I gave it a pre-lather soak while I showered ( I ran a few tablespoons of hot water on top of it to soak ).

When I got ready to start my lather prep, I dumped the soak water into my lather bowl, and hit the puck with a moistened Vulfix Grosvenor. I got almost instant lather, and in large quantities. I loaded the brush for my typical 30 slow count, pausing once to let some excess lather from my soap dish slide into my lather bowl.

The brush looked so loaded with product I just went to my face. In a few seconds I could tell this was going to be a product I was going to like. It started building firm, thick lather quickly, and that wonderful juniper scent was a winner in my book.

I dipped my brush tips in water once or twice and was able to achieve the cake batter lather I like. The shave was completed with no problems, and I even went four passes just for the heck of it, and because my brush was absolutely still covered in lather after pass 3.

So, another 'legendary' shave product has impressed me. My only knock on it was that it didn't want to fit completely in my favorite Anchor Hocking soap dish. It's slightly larger than the dish, and after some violent exertion I was able to wedge it in enough to lather up, but it's uneven in the bowl. That doesn't seem to cause any trouble, but it offends my sense of aesthetics LOL.

0 252
 10-09-2012, 02:40 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I love it! Definitely my favorite triple milled shaving soap that I've tried, I always get great results from it, and something about the scent really keeps you coming back for more.

35 1,732
 10-09-2012, 03:25 PM
User Info
Cade is a wonderful soap. I love everything about it, smells great and lathers easily for me.

129 6,685
 10-09-2012, 03:39 PM
User Info
+1 from me. I heard a lot of problem comments on this one, so I was skeptical, but pulled the trigger on a puck, and I love it. Excellent scent, dense, slick lather, and it lasts. I also got a sample of the accompanying AS balm, which is also very nice.

2 362
 10-09-2012, 03:48 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Gene,

Grate just a little off the sides, then once you get it to fit put the shavings back in on top of a damp puck and press them in.

173 23,558
 10-09-2012, 04:32 PM
User Info
(10-09-2012, 03:48 PM)Johnny Wrote: Gene,

Grate just a little off the sides, then once you get it to fit put the shavings back in on top of a damp puck and press them in.

That should do the trick!

0 252
 10-09-2012, 04:51 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen:
I have used L'Occitane Cade shave soaps for some years. I don't particularly care for the brand's shaving cream. The soap, however, is of high quality in every respect, and reasonably priced. L'Occitane Cade is one of the keepers. Good stuff.
Obie

132 2,614
 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM
User Info
(10-09-2012, 04:51 PM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen:
I have used L'Occitane Cade shave soaps for some years. I don't particularly care for the brand's shaving cream. The soap, however, is of high quality in every respect, and reasonably priced. L'Occitane Cade is one of the keepers. Good stuff.
Obie

I have heard that they reformulated the cream at some point and the performance has improved? An acquaintance in Spain found it to work very well, which surprised me.

2 362
 10-09-2012, 09:18 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I must admit that I cant stand its scent anymore , but L'occitane Cade is a classic of classics.
Excellent triple milled soap with some added oils and provides a great skin care.Actually , all made in France shaving soaps provides that , but Lothantique and Durance L'Homme , which lather is non existent.
Also , is not that expensive , when I compare it to other made in UK triple milled shaving soaps (the refill puck is 12 dollars) and the UFO soap bowl is another classic.
Yes , a very good soap.

86 7,124
 10-10-2012, 04:51 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
One of my favorites for sure and probably my favorite tripled milled as well. A little under rated IMO especially given it's cheap price for a puck.

45 3,955
 10-11-2012, 01:54 AM
User Info
It's interesting people refer to its scent - which neither I, nor anyone I know, can detect. If anything, it's minimal - but I consider this an unscented soap by all regards.

That said, it's excellent. Banal, it is a top performer available brick&mortar & for a mere 10 dollars.

I consider it MWF's little brother.

0 257
 10-11-2012, 03:00 AM
User Info
(10-11-2012, 01:54 AM)boYexTRAORDINaRE Wrote: It's interesting people refer to its scent - which neither I, nor anyone I know, can detect. If anything, it's minimal - but I consider this an unscented soap by all regards.

That said, it's excellent. Banal, it is a top performer available brick&mortar & for a mere 10 dollars.

I consider it MWF's little brother.

Yes, the scent is very mellow, almost non existent. That may be a plus for some. I find it enjoyable.

2 362
 10-11-2012, 05:30 AM
User Info
(10-11-2012, 01:54 AM)boYexTRAORDINaRE Wrote: It's interesting people refer to its scent - which neither I, nor anyone I know, can detect. If anything, it's minimal - but I consider this an unscented soap by all regards.

When I first bought my puck of Cade, I loved the scent but was disappointed how light the scent was. I could barely smell it. But now, after several uses, the scent has started to blossom and I have no trouble picking it up.

0 836
 10-11-2012, 09:45 AM
User Info
Hmmm ... it's odd to see how we all react to scent. Someone mentioned Cade and MWF ... both, to me, have a sharp and distinctive scent that I enjoy. They are not perfumy or cologne-ish in strength, but I have no problem detecting them.

0 252
 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM
User Info
The scent does seem to bloom after some use. One of the things I really like about it as well as with MWF is that the scent is just fresh and clean (although both are very different). This allows them to blend perfectly with whatever AS / EdT one wishes to use.

I really miss the Cade AS splash, it was fantastic.

129 6,685
 10-11-2012, 05:24 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Loved the scent, good lather, dried my face out like CRAZY. Always left me itchy from such extreme dryness.

13 599
 11-16-2012, 07:48 PM
User Info
Love it, is there any left? Does LOccitane make a run every now and then.

11 235
 11-17-2012, 08:17 AM
User Info
I love Cade soap. Long before I knew of shaving forums on the net I used it exclusively for quite a while.

15 762
 12-09-2012, 12:12 PM
  • KLF
  • Israel
User Info
I had the soap for some time but until yesterday I couldn't get a good lather from it. Yesterday however I obtained an extraordinary lather, the best ever since I started wetshaving. A fantastic soap I would say.

0 55
 12-09-2012, 12:26 PM
User Info
(12-09-2012, 12:12 PM)KLF Wrote: I had the soap for some time but until yesterday I couldn't get a good lather from it. Yesterday however I obtained an extraordinary lather, the best ever since I started wetshaving. A fantastic soap I would say.

So what did you do that made the difference?

31 7,914