10-10-2012, 02:55 AM
User Info
Well as you know last week I got Duke 3 in Best, well I decided to throw caution to the wind and get a Duke Butterscotch in Manchurian. I have been looking at a Manchurian brush for sometime now and wondering if and which one to buy. Was it going to be worth the extra cash (well double the price.......Dodgy).
Well what I need any brush to deal with.......
I use creams, soft soap, triple milled soap and shaving sticks. My usual method of generating lather is a combination of bowl lathering and adjusting it on my face, (might seem strange to some but it works for me..Tongue). The only exception are shaving sticks which I rub on my face and use the brush to face lather.
1st Duke 3 in Best.
The handle feels very good in the hand and the knot size is just right. It picks up product well and produces a good lather. When applied to my face if felt good from the off with a nice explosion of lather when adding a little water to adjust it to get the consistency I wanted. The brush has a tiny bit of scritch which I like and good back bone. It held the lather in the tips and did not hog it like some brushes I have tried. I think this brush will only get better with use, as my 1st "named" brush (i.e not custom made) I think I made a good choice. Even after a few days of use I would recommend this brush to anyone who wants a good all round brush.
Now to the Duke 3 Butterscotch in Manchurian.
1st off I have to say this is a stunning looking brush the contrast between the dark Manchurian bristles and the Butterscotch handle just sets it off perfectly. But you don't buy a brush to look at it.
I had a few niggles about the brush before I got it, would it be a lather hog due the dense knot or too floppy for me. I need not have worried on either counts.
The brush picks up all products better than the D3B and produces a good stable lather with about 1/2 the effort and you can easily keep the lather in the tips.
On the face it feels very soft and luxurious while retaining the backbone and a tiny bit of scritch and you get an explosion of lather. All in all I think Mark and Simpsons have got it just right with this brush. Was it worth the extra cash? Well if 1st impressions are anything to go by a definite YES !!
I will let you know in a month or so if my opinions have changed, but I doubt it....Biggrin.
Am I going to part with the D3B, no I like them both for different reasons.
The problem now is I think I may have swopped my RAD for BAD and that could be a very expensive AD to have.......Confused
Now a few pics for your enjoyment.........
Both pre-bloom
Both post bloom
Lathered up
Duke 3 in Best
Duke 3 in Manchurian

3 198
 10-10-2012, 03:05 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Great review, thank you! Absolutely beautiful brushes and I am glad to read that they perform as great as they look. Smile

Timely for me as well. After adoring my Chubby 2 for a while now, I would love to add a Duke 3 which is, IMO, the perfect companion to the Chubby.

6 905
 10-10-2012, 03:21 AM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Steve, excellent review. There are four brushes that I want and the Duke 3 is one of them. Looking forward to your opinion in the coming weeks.

173 23,289
 10-10-2012, 04:05 AM
User Info
sweet!! Sisi

0 213
 10-10-2012, 08:26 AM
User Info
Steve, those are some beautiful brushes! Thanks for sharing.

74 20,791
 10-10-2012, 09:40 AM
User Info
Excellent brushes! Which would you say is the softer feeling brush or has the least amount of scritch?

64 796
 10-10-2012, 10:57 AM
User Info
(10-10-2012, 09:40 AM)Bravado13 Wrote: Excellent brushes! Which would you say is the softer feeling brush or has the least amount of scritch?

I would have to say the Manchurian, but the best is still a very good brush esp for the money.

3 198
 10-10-2012, 01:45 PM
User Info
Beautiful. I've always thought the Duke 3 was on the small side for my preferences, but all these pictures of the butterscotch handles that have been appearing on this forum lately have me thinking.

36 2,578
 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Duke 3 in butter - mmmmm. I'd be happy with 2-band in this handle. Who do I have to sell Huh

88 4,233