06-25-2022, 12:59 PM
User Info
I have been using a safety razor and shaving brush over 30 years.  In 1987 I was a poor student and bought this yellow Omega brush in Barcelona. I can't imagine I paid more than $7 or $8 for it.  It hass incredibly soft tips now.  I have added a few brushes over the years including the new Simpson Trafalgar I just got for Father's Day.  I have to say, if forced I'd choose the small Truefitt and Hill (Chubby 1 size).  It's a really good size for my hand.  The Taylor of Old Bond Street brush is nice, but a little too floppy.

[Image: 2QFWw6y.jpg]

0 28
 06-25-2022, 01:26 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN and thanks for your first post!  

What is the brush on the far left?  Is that one of the house brand brushes from the pre-2015 Vintage Blades LLC?

Years ago I had the same Truefitt & Hill in a size 2 and it was an excellent brush.  There are some who believe the older Truefitt & Hill brushes were made by Rooney, the legendary and somewhat mysterious brushmaker.

60 11,985
 06-25-2022, 01:37 PM
User Info
Nice range of brushes you have there.  The Truefitt & Hill looks like a fine face lathering brush.

2 247
 06-25-2022, 01:44 PM
User Info
That brush on the left doesn't have a name, just a logo on the bottom.  I'm guessing it's "New York Shave"
It's a nice badger, but for me it's just too large.  Is that a thing?  I think I'm odd in that I like slightly smaller knots.
This knot is 24mm diameter and 55mm in height.
[Image: Utjofu2.jpg]

0 28
 06-25-2022, 01:45 PM
User Info
Good post and welcome.
You have a nice variety of brushes. What knots do you like best?
What's your "sweet spot" as far as knot size goes. Scrubby or furry? Enquiring minds want to know.  Sherlock

101 7,698
 06-25-2022, 01:49 PM
User Info
(06-25-2022, 01:44 PM)paulml Wrote: That brush on the left doesn't have a name, just a logo on the bottom.  I'm guessing it's "New York Shave"
It's a nice badger, but for me it's just too large.  Is that a thing?  I think I'm odd in that I like slightly smaller knots.
This knot is 24mm diameter and 55mm in height.
[Image: Utjofu2.jpg]

Thanks for the reply.  In your first photo it looked like a brush Vintage Blades used to sell under its own name.  However, looking at the photo on the right I can see the shape of the base is slightly different than the Vintage Blades model.

60 11,985
 06-25-2022, 02:21 PM
User Info
well, I don't have much experience, but based on about eight brushes I have owned I prefer fan style, for face lathering. I have tried the bowl technique but it's more than I need.  I don't need soft, I think a little scrubbiness would be good.  My next brush purchase might be something in mid-range badger with a 24-ish mm knot and fan shape.
Looking for recommendations.

As for razors, I used to get terrible razor burn from multi blade razors, so I now use a Muhle R41 and usually one pass and then a few touch up spots, once a day. I don't find the R41 too aggressive at all, as a matter of fact I find gentler razors don't shave me very closely, so I have to do three or four passes and get more irritation. 

Just today I received an Ikon handle for the R41. I haven't tried it with the new handle yet.
[Image: OTM4mRk.jpg]

0 28
 06-25-2022, 02:40 PM
User Info
You’ve got my attention. .
The R41 is a terrific tool. It’s a credit to your light touch, that you have such success with it.
What’s your blade of choice?

101 7,698
 06-25-2022, 02:42 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Paul, I like your style. The Omega brush has an excellent back story. 
What do you think of the Trafalgar? I received mine as a gift last Father’s Day Biggrin

Welcome to the Shave Nook!

22 6,557
 06-25-2022, 03:38 PM
User Info
The Trafalgar is pretty okay.  I'm all in favor of not murdering the badgers......but, I still find that I am enjoying the "natural" sense of the fur.  I guess I have some more soul searching to do : )
Yes, before the R41 my daily shaver was a 1914 Gillette single ring, but the R41 is closer, smoother, I think the pro's say more efficient.

0 28
 06-25-2022, 04:06 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Welcome to the Nook - nice collection of brushes there .. I still remember Jim from Vintage blades as well ..

The Trafalgar is one of the best synths in my opinion

84 941
 06-25-2022, 04:36 PM
User Info
(06-25-2022, 04:06 PM)garyg Wrote: Welcome to the Nook - nice collection of brushes there .. I still remember Jim from Vintage blades as well ..

Jim was a great guy and Vintage Blades was an excellent vendor.  It's unfortunate he sold the company in 2015.

60 11,985
 06-25-2022, 04:41 PM
User Info
(06-25-2022, 02:21 PM)paulm Wrote: As for razors, I used to get terrible razor burn from multi blade razors, so I now use a Muhle R41 and usually one pass and then a few touch up spots, once a day. I don't find the R41 too aggressive at all, as a matter of fact I find gentler razors don't shave me very closely, so I have to do three or four passes and get more irritation. 

[Image: OTM4mRk.jpg]

The R89 and R41 are both excellent razors.

60 11,985
 06-25-2022, 05:48 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(06-25-2022, 04:36 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(06-25-2022, 04:06 PM)garyg Wrote: Welcome to the Nook - nice collection of brushes there .. I still remember Jim from Vintage blades as well ..

Jim was a great guy and Vintage Blades was an excellent vendor.  It's unfortunate he sold the company in 2015.

Jim was/is a great guy! Those were the good old days for sure.

54 22,448
 06-26-2022, 03:51 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Welcome!  Nice little brush collection with variety.

0 301
 06-26-2022, 07:11 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-25-2022, 02:21 PM)paulml Wrote: well, I don't have much experience, but based on about eight brushes I have owned I prefer fan style, for face lathering. I have tried the bowl technique but it's more than I need.  I don't need soft, I think a little scrubbiness would be good.  My next brush purchase might be something in mid-range badger with a 24-ish mm knot and fan shape.
Looking for recommendations.

As for razors, I used to get terrible razor burn from multi blade razors, so I now use a Muhle R41 and usually one pass and then a few touch up spots, once a day. I don't find the R41 too aggressive at all, as a matter of fact I find gentler razors don't shave me very closely, so I have to do three or four passes and get more irritation. 

Just today I received an Ikon handle for the R41. I haven't tried it with the new handle yet.

For your stated objectives I’ll make two recommendations. 1, Bob Quinn at https://eliterazor.com/ is a supporting artisan. He may have just what you’re looking for. 2, I also suggest you consider a Semogue Owner’s Club badger brush. The SOC handle is ergonomically superb. They make many versions of badger, boar, and badger/boar. I love mine. It’s an untreated Super Badger knot with cherry handle. In seven years it’s never shed a hair! Truly makes me smile every time it comes up in rotation Biggrin Have a look here https://bullgooseshaving.com/search?q=Se...ner’s+Club

22 6,557
 06-26-2022, 12:56 PM
  • Bax
User Info
Welcome to the Nook!  
I think  I prefer smaller knots, too.  
My favorite brush is probably the Semogue 1438.  
https://bullgooseshaving.com/products/se...ving-brush
If I could have only ONE brush, this would probably be my choice.
  :-)
- Bax

0 495