07-05-2022, 08:19 PM
User Info
I thought this vintage Stag brand badger brush looked interesting..........I have had one or two vintage brushes that were pretty good.
I got this on eBay a few days ago for under $20
Got it, washed it out and tried it today.
Not a good experience. The aroma was dog-ish and the brush just didn't lather well.
The good news is now I have a reason to try a new knot and restoration. The handle is fine.
[Image: 4cudIsZ.jpg]

[Image: A2y8odE.jpg]

0 28
 07-06-2022, 03:50 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
I've reknotted several of my brushes and referred to YouTube for videos on how best to do it.  Just be sure to dry fit the knot to make sure you don't have to drill out or put a spacer in the handle to lower or raise the knot for best fit.  Many use epoxy to set the knot but I find silicone much easier to use.  Have fun!

0 301
 07-06-2022, 05:49 AM
  • Bax
User Info
Setting a new knot might be a fun project.  
I did it about a year ago.
Here's a pic.
[Image: rxEhD9L.jpg]
For the long version, the thread is here:
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...tter+brush

I didn't think to check YouTube videos to see how to do it like Chappy recommended; didn't think of it.
Chappy must be younger, more high-tech, and more "hip" than I am -- because he thinks of online interweb stuff...
   :-)
- Bax

0 495
 07-06-2022, 05:56 AM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
Nice handle.

With a fresh decent knot you'll have a fine brush. AND the fun of having refurbished yourself.

71 2,072
 07-06-2022, 08:20 AM
User Info
(07-06-2022, 05:49 AM)Wow, that\s an improvement! Bax Wrote: Setting a new knot might be a fun project.  
I did it about a year ago.
Here's a pic.
[Image: rxEhD9L.jpg]
For the long version, the thread is here:
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...tter+brush

I didn't think to check YouTube videos to see how to do it like Chappy recommended; didn't think of it.
Chappy must be younger, more high-tech, and more "hip" than I am -- because he thinks of online interweb stuff...
   :-)
- Bax

0 28
 07-06-2022, 09:33 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Fantastic what seems bakelite handle

0 723
 07-06-2022, 04:09 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Think carefully about the knot so it isn't too floppy yet works to scale.  Some knots are far too big for the handle, looks-wise, and after all we collect these things for aesthetic as well as functional/practical purposes. Sometimes you see a smallish handle with a giant knot, and even the reverse. Also decide on the kind of knot you prefer: soft, firm, bulb, fan, hybrid, etc. I'd go with fan on yours as it might more accurately sit with the shape of the Stag handle, but that's entirely your decision, of course.

1 2,463
 07-06-2022, 04:20 PM
User Info
(07-06-2022, 04:09 PM)Shaun Wrote: after all we collect these things for aesthetic as well as functional/practical purposes.

Shaun, you have a tremendous understanding.  Thank you for the advice. I am indeed thinking of a 20mm fan knot on this handle.

0 28