07-12-2022, 09:45 PM
User Info
several years ago i got a sample from maggards or west coast, been so long i cant remember. Of the unscented martin de candre soap. 

Tried it, foamy airy lather, shaved poorly.  I had it mushed out in an old shave mug and left it there. Soaked it for about half hour to loosen the dust on it. ANd it smelled like a weak lemon tea with rancid fish oil. 

it lathered up better this time, but left the old face so dried out its not funny. I am also suffering a nasty burning sensation from it. 

but the shave was so close.

0 65
 07-12-2022, 11:20 PM
User Info
(07-12-2022, 09:45 PM)photoperson Wrote: several years ago i got a sample from maggards or west coast, been so long i cant remember. Of the unscented martin de candre soap. 

Tried it, foamy airy lather, shaved poorly.  I had it mushed out in an old shave mug and left it there. Soaked it for about half hour to loosen the dust on it. ANd it smelled like a weak lemon tea with rancid fish oil. 

it lathered up better this time, but left the old face so dried out its not funny. I am also suffering a nasty burning sensation from it. 

but the shave was so close.

I think this shaves very well, but no better than any other andv reckon you pay for the scents. Also other soaps last just as long.

0 242
 07-13-2022, 07:50 AM
User Info
took me a year to get half way through a stirling unscented with tallow and bees wax... im not worried on longevity. But this sample kept me up for 6 hours with the irritation. 

And face still feels way to dry and itchy. Like ive been playing in a commercial freezer at 10-20 below

0 65
 07-14-2022, 04:34 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I suspect your old sample is most likely dried out/rancid.  Soaps can degrade over time.

I'd suggest you get a fresh sample and use more water....more water than you have ever used.  Martin DeCandre is a very thirsty soap.

178 1,678
 07-14-2022, 08:30 AM
User Info
(07-14-2022, 04:34 AM)Steelman Wrote: I suspect your old sample is most likely dried out/rancid.  Soaps can degrade over time.

I'd suggest you get a fresh sample and use more water....more water than you have ever used.  Martin DeCandre is a very thirsty soap.

i know i used enough wter on it... soaked my badger for 40 minutes,  and the sample was submerged in an inch of hot tap water for an hour..  i THINK i used enough. 

Age didnt do anything to the shave quality. looking back, the results were the same in how much lather it made, and how well the soap itself did.  I just didnt recall the excessive dryness and irritation and tingling.

0 65
 07-14-2022, 06:38 PM
User Info
I get awesome great lather with MdC.  It’s “lighter” than some but the lather lasts and it’s certainly slick.  A bit dry, as stated.  Glad the OP has a ton of choices.

6 588
 07-14-2022, 09:13 PM
User Info
(07-14-2022, 06:38 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: I get awesome great lather with MdC.  It’s “lighter” than some but the lather lasts and it’s certainly slick.  A bit dry, as stated.  Glad the OP has a ton of choices.

i dont really have choices right now. 

At the moment its use stirling unscented tallow with bees wax, plain water and hand soap, or open up my last tube of old style spieck cream that i dont get along with scent wise anymore.

0 65
 08-12-2022, 12:43 PM
User Info
[Image: hKjXqoY.jpg]

That’s how much soap is left after 25+ uses. Price = Quality = Long-lasting. One of my favorite soaps.

0 20
 08-13-2022, 10:12 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Mdc dries my face out too. I always thought their original scent smelled like someone tarring a roof on a hot and humid day. I never understood the appeal but YMMV.

54 22,448
 08-13-2022, 03:19 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
(08-13-2022, 10:12 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Mdc dries my face out too. I always thought their original scent smelled like someone tarring a roof on a hot and humid day. I never understood the appeal but YMMV.

Leave the top off of the original Phil, and the scent will magically fix itself in a month or two.

9 905
 08-13-2022, 03:47 PM
User Info
“Magically” Biggrin

36 2,333
 Yesterday, 06:07 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
I've had the Rose and Vetyver for quite a few years.  Don't use it too often.

Zero scent left with the Vetyver, and a bit with the Rose (a rather lovely mild scent, just about right for me).

Easy-to-built lather, but it's too thin.  Pretty good shave though.  But, I have to use moisturizer afterwards.  As when it was new, it dries my skin.

1 758