07-16-2022, 10:00 AM
User Info
Bear along, this is a story that spans 7 years now.

I started shaving with real razors, in 2015. Ended a job in an industrial freezer system so i would have to start shaving daily. And those plastic cartridges could barely survive 2 double pass shaves every day. Sometimes they barely got through a single shave. And i was using the canned goo crap from the respective brand of razor. 

Anyway, i dropped into the razor buying spree to find the "goodest" razor, traded, bought, and kept some. Some i still have but wish i hadnt wasted the time on. 

I got into a kick on NOS razors, sometimes used, sometimes not.  My favorite that i use a crap load of is a korean war tech that was sold NOS in a damaged box. But the poor razor was soaked in lather, it was like primer on it. 

Ended up with a genuine Gillette travel razor, actually unused as i took the paper blade out and it was purchsed directly form a company that somehow ended up getting an unopened shipper box of them. 

Then i ended up a Schick tto that was never used, The only thing missing was the paper ribbon around the case that they left the factory wearing. The two tin can shippers of Schick injectors are enjoyable. 

Now i got into the hit for a genuinely unused Superspeed. SO in 2016 i started hunting for one. And i found one. I was never able to catch it. Chased it for about 4 years before i gave up. Several times i had the winning bid, but the "honored" winning bid would come in at .05 second after bidding ended. Strangely it would be relisted by the same seller the next day..   Sometimes it would change to a different user account. 

Its a black handle, late period.  I know the package well, the tape job on the package seems on back is burned into my head.   It arrives this week.

0 65
 07-16-2022, 11:24 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Gee, after all that time and effort I hope the razor is everything you have been waiting for. Enjoy your shaves!

22 6,557
 07-16-2022, 02:56 PM
User Info
(07-16-2022, 11:24 AM)chazt Wrote: Gee, after all that time and effort I hope the razor is everything you have been waiting for. Enjoy your shaves!

I havent actually looked for it in perhaps 3 years, and i go on ebay for looking at razors for first time in 3 years, and its on the second page for gillette razors.. and i actually wont it. 

Id rather find a birth year... C4  *hint * hint*

1982 quarter 4

0 65
 07-16-2022, 03:18 PM
User Info
Congratulations on finding your razor.  Please post photos when it arrives.

60 11,985
 07-17-2022, 12:11 PM
User Info
its suprising i found it after all this time. its been sold, retracted, relisted, at so many price points.  

My intent was always to get an unused superspeed to spend, and older models, well cost more then car insurance does

0 65
 07-18-2022, 06:44 AM
User Info
Well it arrived this morning, 20 minutes ago.  Its a cute razor. 

It was previously used, the tape on the package tear seams on the back was holding it closed as i suspected from the start. 

The razor has not been used much, they installed 1 of the sample platinum plus blades, used it, and put the razor back in the package and taped it up.  

no corrosion from the blade being left inside, its a T 1, so 1973 to 2022 is a good stretch of time to test the corrosion resistance of blade and razor, and neither had rust or any corrosion. Looked like the blade was still usable.   As the razor was 1. used and 2. sticky, its currently soaking in hot tap water and safe guard handsoap. 

the head looks slightly thinner then my medium flar tip, but very similar to my gold beauty.

0 65
 07-18-2022, 07:44 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
 07-19-2022, 08:56 PM
User Info
Well had my first shave with it.  Rather lightweight razor. However i used my traditional stirling. 

I used the last sample gillette platinum plus blade just to do its inaugural shave correctly. I have always tried to do the first  shave with a new razor with any unused blade it comes with. Its how i know gillette blue blades do not ... meet modern blade standards. 

Anyway, only skipped one day shaving, facial hair just hasnt seemed to be growing out as fast now after going back to only every other day shaving. 

one pass shave, my chin needed two passes as i couldnt get the angle right, and the blade was a tad sharper then i prefer. 

heres photos.... fresh from rinsing.
[Image: yELwyFQ.jpg]

0 65
 07-19-2022, 08:58 PM
User Info