07-21-2022, 09:43 AM
User Info
In Canada there is a fairly serious anti-scent campaign. Many offices have “Scent-free Zone” signs. Presumably some people have allergies to scents. I really like using aftershave lotions—Proraso Green, Old Spice, etc.—and I assume the scents don’t last more than a couple of hours. Has anybody had a problem with this?

0 176
 07-21-2022, 11:27 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Can you apply less product and still be satisfied?

I know it’s an issue in doctors’ offices, hospitals, nursing homes, etc. Tbh, in those settings I support a scent free policy.

There was one person in the school where I worked who was an obnoxious oversprayer. Thankfully, she was the only one. I avoided her as much as humanly possible. There was no city, district or school policy.

My wife is very sensitive to strong scents in general*, and frankly I/we used to get grossed out when an oversprayer walked nearby in restaurants. Not much of an issue any longer as we haven’t been to a restaurant in 2 1/2 years.

*For a long time I was strictly an unscented shaver, but over recent years I’ve been able to slowly add some scented soaps and aftershaves into my practice. Some scents are still too much for her. I use them judiciously to say the least. The scent that gets the SWMBOSOA is Arlington. I use the soap, cream and splash. The scent dissipates in 15 minutes. Swiss Pitralon and Frost Byte are gone by the time I’m done cleaning up in the bathroom. Snake Bite has no scent. A light application of P-Red lingers but is tolerated. Interestingly, P-Green seems to generate a thumbs down. That and my other scented soaps and splashes are used like I said, judiciously.

22 6,557
 07-21-2022, 12:28 PM
User Info
SWMBOSOA?

0 176
 07-21-2022, 12:33 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-21-2022, 12:28 PM)Ilnones Wrote: SWMBOSOA?

To the best of my knowledge, Primo coined the term. “She who must be obeyed seal of approval.”

22 6,557
 07-21-2022, 04:06 PM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
My wife and step daughter have asthma.  And many scents really make their lungs scream.  We can't do anything about our customers, but we do tell new hires no scents while working.  One girl was so bad we had her go home to shower before returning.  People who don't have the issue just don't understand.  The worst offenders are always the wanna be hippy types who drench themselves in pachouli.  That stuff is nasty.  I'd rather be immersed in the perm juice aroma that my mom smelled like back in the 70s.  I'm very limited in what soaps and after shaves I can use and when.

0 824
 07-21-2022, 07:53 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
Well - most aftershaves won't last very long 'scent-wise' anyway  - even your Proraso Green and the Green Splash. 
It's an enjoyable after shave, maybe through breakfast and in the car on the way to the office, but by then I find any scent is long gone. 

It's the colognes, eDTs and parfums that stay - I have some Creed OV I got in a 'group buy' with Rudy Vey years ago - and it'll last all day.   
I'm not sure they make 'em like that anymore.

18 250
 07-22-2022, 02:54 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I don't have an issue with most perfumes, colognes, or aftershaves.  In fact I'm firmly in the camp of more is better, but I also understand that some people have trouble with strong scents.  At work I wear something very light and am careful to not over spray.  For a light AS that is also excellent I like Lucido, I avoid strong or polarizing colognes like Knize 10, or Montale Black Oudh.

13 2,541
 07-22-2022, 04:26 AM
User Info
(07-21-2022, 12:33 PM)chazt Wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, Primo coined the term. “She who must be obeyed seal of approval.”

Not "coined", but rather "patented". 
Any copyright infringements will be dealt with swiftly and harshly by my personal patent attorney, Q. Farnsworth Snickerbelly.

101 7,698
 07-22-2022, 04:29 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
My workplace had a strict "no scent" rule.  So, I used Witch Hazel instead of aftershave or cologne.  I think there are unscented aftershaves, but I didn't have any.  I did often use beautifully scented shaving soap though.

On weekends, I would add a spray or two of cologne to the Witch Hazel and apply it.

Well, I recently retired, and can do whatever I please.  I still have lots of Witch Hazel left, so every day I add a couple sprays of Penhaligon's or Creed to it before applying.  My Witch Hazel is soon running out, so I'm on the lookout for some great aftershaves to start building up my collection again.  

I've narrowed my list down to about 20 that I'd like to get.  There are so many spectacular ones out there.  However, I've been encouraged to trim it down a little more—I believe the number suggested was a tenth of that.  I'm hoping we can meet somewhere in the middle.

Interestingly, I think I'm going to need some balms, rather than splashes.  My skin seems to be dryer now, and always needs a moisturizer.

1 758
 07-22-2022, 05:20 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-22-2022, 04:26 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(07-21-2022, 12:33 PM)chazt Wrote:

Not "coined", but rather "patented". 
Any copyright infringements will be dealt with swiftly and harshly by my personal patent attorney, Q. Farnsworth Snickerbelly.

22 6,557
 07-22-2022, 06:57 AM
User Info
On myself, I'm a light sprayer.  

I'm not overly sensitive to scents and oversprayers don't usually bother me.

60 11,985
 07-22-2022, 07:55 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I have to deal with that issue, too. My lovely bride is very sensitive to colognes, perfumes, and scents of any kind. I have to be careful what aftershaves I use, most of which are FAR too strong. I can't even imagine using a cologne. Which hazel is normally the preferred solution in our house. If I'm not going to be around her for several hours, then I get to use Paraso or Cella aftershave. Until I started teleworking from home during the pandemic, it was never an issue; I'd shave and leave the house. I could wear whatever I wanted and it would be gone by the time I got home. But now my home IS the office.
:-)
- Bax

0 495
 07-22-2022, 07:59 AM
User Info
I always worked in scent-free environment and cannot stand strong scented products. A strong scent/fragrance will greatly impact performance at work as I simply lose focus. A strong odor will have the culprit eliminated on the spot, regardless. Ha
Generally speaking, I am OK with scented aftershaves other people use. I prefer very light to no scent at all for my own aftershaves, when at work. At home, I do use stronger aftershaves once in a while, and after approval from... well... the manager.

Proraso Green would be fine for me but Old Spice would be a no go. I use Proraso aftershaves at home, but never at work.

Thank you, Ilnones, for being considerate of others.

7 403
 07-22-2022, 08:57 AM
User Info
When you have the allergy to the basic building blocks of modern "scents", life is hell. 

I cant even go down the garbage bag aisle at walmart without ending up with a head ache. If i go down the laundry soap aisle, im looking at a full blown migraine inside of an hour. 

Citrus and vanilla, musk and pachouli are the worst, yet are the most common components in perfumes..

Have a few guys at work you can smell from 8-10 feet way, when they are downwind of you,,   but you only smell body odour...  If it twere basic wed give them a soap party.  But we have people running around spraying so much perfume to deal with it, that it takes hours to dissapate, and then they come back and spray more

0 65