07-24-2022, 06:30 PM
User Info
first shave lather not the greatest. 

Used a simple method of filling in the little cup with the logo on top with water several times a day.  2nd shave, left water in the top while i showered, after shower the water had a yellow color to it.. lather was wonderful.

0 65
 07-25-2022, 04:48 AM
User Info
Begin loading the brush on the puck and then lather on your face. Vintage Williams is absolutely amazing. The Arko puck isn't as slick but it's much easier to find and it's less expensive.

I don't "bloom", just add a touch of water to the loaded brush as necessary.  Thumbsup

0 410
 07-27-2022, 03:33 PM
User Info
allergic to arko, and it never lathered for me.

0 65
 07-27-2022, 05:09 PM
User Info
(07-27-2022, 03:33 PM)photoperson Wrote: allergic to arko, and it never lathered for me.

Do you have hard water where you live?

60 11,985
 07-30-2022, 11:55 AM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
(07-24-2022, 06:30 PM)photoperson Wrote: first shave lather not the greatest. 

Used a simple method of filling in the little cup with the logo on top with water several times a day.  2nd shave, left water in the top while i showered, after shower the water had a yellow color to it.. lather was wonderful.

My theory - Williams is a mug soap.  It's meant to be in a mug, and used daily.  Used this way it's unlikely to ever dry out completely from shave to shave.

In it's day - people didn't 'dry' their soap out, remove it from a container or wipe it down.  You tossed it in a mug, added water, mixed it how you liked and forgot about it until the next shave, when you'd use that same soap again - likely because it's probably the only shaving soap you had.  

The other factor at play here is vintage Williams has been drying out in a box or on a shelf somewhere for several decades.  The water may have helped re-hydrate it - Primo here has a thread on the process he
uses to 'wake up' vintage williams pucks, and it involves grating the puck and adding hot water and mixing, leaving the excess water to evaporate.   The water is then re-absorbed by the grated soap.  I have not tried this, but it looks interesting and it's hard to argue with the lather he gets from his Williams after this process.

18 250
 07-30-2022, 01:24 PM
User Info
I keep my vintage Williams in a mug and use it whenever I want to, or not. It lathers perfectly every time, and many of these pucks are older than some of our members. A warm damp boar brush and add a little warm water as needed. I have over 20 pucks and they're getting older every day. I still pick up a few now and then, I can't help myself, I need enough to get to the finish line.

0 232
 07-30-2022, 09:03 PM
User Info
(07-30-2022, 01:24 PM)Uncas Wrote: I keep my vintage Williams in a mug and use it whenever I want to, or not. It lathers perfectly every time, and many of these pucks are older than some of our members. A warm damp boar brush and add a little warm water as needed. I have over 20 pucks and they're getting older every day. I still pick up a few now and then, I can't help myself, I need enough to get to the finish line.

They will teach you that soap is not something to be overlooked at all. 

Or how it can make a great razor and razor blade combination into a trip to hell.

0 65
 07-31-2022, 11:58 AM
User Info
I love vintage Williams, great lather and more cushion than you could ever ask for. I have never added water to a puck, and even the idea of "blooming" seems wrong to me. I wet the brush, no I never soak a brush, I flick some water out, and get soap on the brush. Dip the tips in water, just a touch, and then lather on my face, perfect lather, perfect shave every time.

0 410
 07-31-2022, 11:59 AM
User Info
(07-30-2022, 01:24 PM)Uncas Wrote: I keep my vintage Williams in a mug and use it whenever I want to, or not. It lathers perfectly every time, and many of these pucks are older than some of our members. A warm damp boar brush and add a little warm water as needed. I have over 20 pucks and they're getting older every day. I still pick up a few now and then, I can't help myself, I need enough to get to the finish line.

Sisi

0 410
 08-01-2022, 02:34 AM
User Info
(07-30-2022, 11:55 AM)norton Wrote: My theory - Williams is a mug soap.  It's meant to be in a mug, and used daily.  Used this way it's unlikely to ever dry out completely from shave to shave.

In it's day - people didn't 'dry' their soap out, remove it from a container or wipe it down.  You tossed it in a mug, added water, mixed it how you liked and forgot about it until the next shave, when you'd use that same soap again - likely because it's probably the only shaving soap you had.  

I suspect you're onto something there - it was meant to be a daily driver, not a soap you picked from the dozens of soaps in your rotation when the fancy struck you.

3 8,006
 08-02-2022, 02:49 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
(08-01-2022, 02:34 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:
(07-30-2022, 11:55 AM)norton Wrote: My theory - Williams is a mug soap.  It's meant to be in a mug, and used daily.  Used this way it's unlikely to ever dry out completely from shave to shave.

I suspect you're onto something there - it was meant to be a daily driver, not a soap you picked from the dozens of soaps in your rotation when the fancy struck you.

This is true of many hard/difficult soaps.

MWF
‘Modern’ Williams
I Coloniali Mango
PdP
Almost any hard soap ….

A side note, if your soap is consistently difficult to load, try a decent boar brush.

9 905