08-07-2022, 10:30 AM
User Info
How much of your shaving stuff do you buy just so you can show it on a forum or social media etc.?

I use what I use because I like it, not because of it's price or appearance or because someone else has it.

Do you spend extra just for a SOTD picture?

0 605
 08-07-2022, 10:49 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I've never spent extra for anything just to get a photo, or show off any stuff. I only pick stuff up that I intend to use.   With one exception.  Picked up a "Little Miss Evans" razor that looks like a miniature de razor, but it was so tiny and cute (and cheap) but I couldn't resist!  It looks like the baby brother of my gold Seagal de razor.  In my little shave nook, in the master bathroom, nobody sees it but me though.
 :-)
- Bax

Clip from North by Northwest:

0 532
 08-07-2022, 11:54 AM
User Info
I have never purchased anything just to show it off. I would be surprised if anyone on this forum has either.

102 8,016
 08-07-2022, 02:15 PM
User Info
Everything in my SOTDs are things I use. If I get to where I stop reaching for it or not quite my cup of tea I post in the BST. Not out to impress anyone.

156 4,363
 08-07-2022, 02:29 PM
User Info
(08-07-2022, 10:49 AM)Bax Wrote: I've never spent extra for anything just to get a photo, or show off any stuff. I only pick stuff up that I intend to use.   With one exception.  Picked up a little three piece ladies razor that looks like a miniature de razor, but it was so tiny and cute (and cheap) but I couldn't resist!  It looks like the baby brother of my gold Seagal de razor.  In my little shave nook, in the master bathroom, nobody sees it but me though.
 :-)
- Bax

Clip from North by Northwest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3r_mb5J3cA

(08-07-2022, 11:54 AM)primotenore Wrote: I have never purchased anything just to show it off. I would be surprised if anyone on this forum has either.

(08-07-2022, 02:15 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Everything in my SOTDs are things I use. If I get to where I stop reaching for it or not quite my cup of tea I post in the BST. Not out to impress anyone.

Very cool, I'm glad to hear it, there are folks out there who would rather buy something flashy than feed their kids. I haven't seen that here, seems to be regular guys on this forum.  Thumbsup

0 605
 08-07-2022, 03:13 PM
User Info
I like taking pictures of gear, but I rarely do it. I own a few brushes, for instance, that I’ve never photographed. That said, I do appreciate the time and effort that others put into their SOTD photos, and gear like straights and brushes always catch my eye.

36 2,353
 08-07-2022, 05:46 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Perhaps for the shaver who leans toward hobbyist as opposed to daily shaver price/appearance could be a motivating factor. Some shavers find satisfaction in basic to middle of the road gear. Some guys go vintage, others modern. There are so many ways to enjoy the hobby. Some guys enjoy detailing and displaying the many products that make their shaves enjoyable. Some guys are minimalists. We all strive to enjoy our shaves.

Also, consider that the art of the sotd photo may be part of the mystique to which you refer. People can make the most mundane gear seem sexy, groovy and right on, don’t you think? Some guys really have a knack for artful photography. I’m not one of them 24

22 6,984
 08-08-2022, 03:23 AM
User Info
I'm a shaver on a budget - well, somewhat of a budget - so almost all my gear that I've paid money for I bought for shaving first and showing of later.

The exceptions are a set of razor sharpeners I bought cheap some years back, which I got because they are cool and I want to do a video / blog post about them.

3 8,088
 08-08-2022, 03:32 AM
User Info
(08-07-2022, 05:46 PM)chazt Wrote: Perhaps for the shaver who leans toward hobbyist as opposed to daily shaver price/appearance could be a motivating factor. Some shavers find satisfaction in basic to middle of the road gear. Some guys go vintage, others modern. There are so many ways to enjoy the hobby. Some guys enjoy detailing and displaying the many products that make their shaves enjoyable. Some guys are minimalists. We all strive to enjoy our shaves.

Also, consider that the art of the sotd photo may be part of the mystique to which you refer. People can make the most mundane gear seem sexy, groovy and right on, don’t you think? Some guys really have a knack for artful photography. I’m not one of them 24

No art in my pix, just stuff on the counter. But I enjoy seeing what others post.

0 605
 08-08-2022, 05:44 AM
User Info
I married my wife to show her off

seriously good question. have I ever bought anything for show? No.
Borrowed from an architectural school of thought: function before form or form follows function

76 2,329
 08-08-2022, 05:52 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
My favorite razor cost new $30 (AL Lupo). My second favorite cost hardly used $50 (AL General AC). My favorite brush cost new $30 (Simpson Synth T3).
When I see those beautiful brushes and shiny razors, yeah I want one but will it be 5 to 12 times better than my current fave? so instead to cool down the AD I buy blades, soaps or splashes. 
I got a lot of blades soaps and splashes.  Facepalm

0 609
 08-08-2022, 07:40 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-08-2022, 05:52 AM)RyznRio Wrote: My favorite razor cost new $30 (AL Lupo). My second favorite cost hardly used $50 (AL General AC). My favorite brush cost new $30 (Simpson Synth T3).
When I see those beautiful brushes and shiny razors, yeah I want one but will it be 5 to 12 times better than my current fave? so instead to cool down the AD I buy blades, soaps or splashes. 
I got a lot of blades soaps and splashes.  Facepalm

Signs011

22 6,984
 08-08-2022, 08:11 AM
User Info
I think the OP really wants to know if anyone here buys a razor or razor product with the express intention of showing it off in a photo.

102 8,016
 08-08-2022, 09:18 AM
User Info
There are some folks in here with really cool gear, best of the best but I have never seen them showing it off for the heck of it.

Like Charlie mentioned above, some like vintage, some like modern gear and so on so forth but it would be just unwise to buy a gear to show it off. Like they say, there is always a bigger fish.

Sent from my V2040 using Tapatalk

4 1,429
 08-08-2022, 10:08 AM
User Info
(08-08-2022, 08:11 AM)primotenore Wrote: I think the OP really wants to know if anyone here buys a razor or razor product with the express intention of showing it off in a photo.

Perhaps “professional” reviewers would lean this way, however they aren’t likely to keep the gear for any substantial period of time. I find the OPs question to be a false dilemma: Do you buy for SOTD photos or because you like using it? These are not mutually exclusive; the answer to both can be “yes”. Nothing wrong with being proud of the way your gear looks, or taking lots of SOTD photos.

36 2,353
 08-08-2022, 01:48 PM
User Info
(08-08-2022, 10:08 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 08:11 AM)primotenore Wrote: I think the OP really wants to know if anyone here buys a razor or razor product with the express intention of showing it off in a photo.

Perhaps “professional” reviewers would lean this way, however they aren’t likely to keep the gear for any substantial period of time. I find the OPs question to be a false dilemma: Do you buy for SOTD photos or because you like using it? These are not mutually exclusive; the answer to both can be “yes”. Nothing wrong with being proud of the way your gear looks, or taking lots of SOTD photos.
+1 Mike
I have had some very photogenic shave gear, and some that resides in a plastic tub. I am an amateur photographer, at best, but I have found my "go-to" arrangement---with variations on a theme. While I enjoy the gorgeous photos that are posted here, I glean the same enjoyment from a shaver who snaps a picture of their razor, alone. Like any hobby, it attracts all kinds of like-minded people. 
BTW, I even read @Nick Freeh's daily SOTD---sans picture. He is regular like clockwork.  Biggrin

102 8,016
 08-08-2022, 03:50 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-08-2022, 01:48 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 10:08 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:

+1 Mike
I have had some very photogenic shave gear, and some that resides in a plastic tub. I am an amateur photographer, at best, but I have found my "go-to" arrangement---with variations on a theme. While I enjoy the gorgeous photos that are posted here, I glean the same enjoyment from a shaver who snaps a picture of their razor, alone. Like any hobby, it attracts all kinds of like-minded people. 
BTW, I even read @Nick Freeh's daily SOTD---sans picture. He is regular like clockwork.  Biggrin

Sisi

22 6,984
 08-08-2022, 05:40 PM
User Info
This is a "like" to all who have responded.  Thumbup

The original post was honest curiosity, not meant to be negative in any way. 

Some folks are competitive, they like to get a one up on the neighbor who just bought something by getting something better, and whatever sport or hobby you're involved in there are some who just can't help themselves.

0 605
 08-10-2022, 09:42 AM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
I don't buy stuff just to try and be one of the cool dudes.  My limping budget won't allow it.  And it just isn't my way.  I only buy stuff I want to use, and even then there is a lot of research and hand wringing before finally pulling the trigger.  When I do buy, I buy quality.

0 921
 08-10-2022, 09:55 AM
User Info
(08-10-2022, 09:42 AM)2Chops Wrote: I don't buy stuff just to try and be one of the cool dudes.  My limping budget won't allow it.  And it just isn't my way.  I only buy stuff I want to use, and even then there is a lot of research and hand wringing before finally pulling the trigger.  When I do buy, I buy quality.

Good man! 

My budget is on a budget.  Confused

0 605